Texas softball redeems itself with a win against SFA

Senior Taylor Hoagland rounds the bases Wednesday afternoon in Texas’ 6-0 victory over Stephen F. Austin. Hoagland led the Longhorns with three RBI’s driving in half of the team’s six runs. The win brings the Longhorns to 6-0 on the season. 

Photo Credit: Zachary Strain | Daily Texan Staff

Game Break Down

First four innings: The first inning started off slow for Texas. Longhorns  starting pitcher Holly Kern hit a batter and Texas struck out twice in the opening the frame. The Longhorns were able to turn it around in the second inning, breaking an 0-0 tie by scoring three runs and giving Kern some much-needed confidence on the mound. In the fourth inning, Ceo made it home off an RBI single by Hoagland, increasing the lead to 4-0. All four runs were scored with two out.

Final three innings: Texas continued to play solid defense through the final innings. Stephens and King both scored in the fifth inning, the final runs of the game. The sixth inning marked the point at which Kern, a freshman, earned her first career shutout in only her second career start.

Stock Up

Despite lsoing the last time the Longhorns faced Stephen F. Austin two years ago, No. 6 Texas did not appear to be worried about Stephen F. Austin and trusted its six freshmen. The freshmen did not disappoint, proving instrumental in the win as the Longhorns improved to 6-0. Texas took this game as an opportunity to develop depth and experience for their already strong freshmen. Freshman Holly Kern pitched and earned her first career shutout. Freshmen Taylor King and Lindsey Stephens both scored one run, while freshman Stephanie Ceo scored twice to contribute to the Texas win.

Why Texas Won

In addition to a successful night for the freshmen, senior Taylor Hoagland lead the team in RBIs with three, driving in half of the team’s runs. SFA’s defense couldn’t hold against the Texas offense. Numerous balls bounced off the gloves of the Ladyjacks, allowing the Longhorns additional running time.

What’s Next

The Longhorns will travel to Houston for this weekend’s Hilton Houston Plaza Invitational, their first game away from home. Texas begins play Friday, taking on DePaul at 10 a.m. and Illinois at 12:30 p.m. CST.