Violet Crown Cinema

At the beginning of every week, we provide a list of opinion-worthy events to expect during the coming week.

“When I Rise” (2010) is playing at the Violet Crown Cinema downtown at 7 p.m. tonight. The film tells the story of Barbara Smith Conrad, who, as a black music student at UT in 1957, was cast in an opera alongside a white, male co-star, inciting racist objections from the Texas Legislature. In the end, Conrad was removed from the cast and the episode made national headlines. The Violet Crown is located on San Antonio and 2nd streets. Free parking with the purchase of a ticket is available in the parking garage between 2nd and 3rd streets. 

“American Meat,” a documentary about “a grass-roots revolution in the meat industry in America,” will play at the Texas Union Theatre Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. A panel discussion with the director and “other food world experts” will follow, as will a “free after-party at Chipotle on the Drag.” 

Mexican painter Friday Kahlo’s “Self-portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird” will once again be on display at the Harry Ransom Center (its owner) beginning Thursday. The painting, which has been on almost continuous loan since 1990, is part of the Ransom Center’s Nickolas Muray collection. See it before it leaves again on July 28 .

P. Terry’s
WHERE: Any P. Terry’s location
Appealing to vegetarians and carnivores and the Dublin Dr Pepper can’t be beat. Plus, just $10 goes a long way there, so it’s a good gift on the cheap.

Violet Crown Cinema
One of our favorite local theaters, the Violet Crown offers a great selection of independent films each month and enhances the audience experience to the fine detail — side tables for your cocktails and snacks, extra padded cushions and a homey setting that doesn’t take away the thrill of going to the theaters. A $25 gift card guarantees one movie, a Chicago hotdog (must try!) and a cold beer, or a movie for two.

Waterloo Records & Video
Did you or a loved one receive a gift card to a chain store such as Best Buy, Walmart or Target, and would instead prefer to use it on a local business serviced by a knowledgeable, friendly staff? Bring in a gift card from one of these and other national chains and Austin’s own Waterloo Records & Video will exchange it in full with store credit on any of their merchandise.

Texas Monthly One-Year Subscription, $18
Share Texas with friends and family by giving them a year of Get it online at www.texasmonthly.com.

UT RecSports Pass, $50
Through January you get discounted access to more than 400 TeXercise classes, including cycling and a fresh, clean towel to use during your visit. Available at RecSports locations until Dec. 9.