Horns Stomp Rebels

For the first time in school history, the Texas Longhorns traveld to Oxford, Miss. to play the Ole Miss Rebels, an event that drew a capacity crowd to Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, estimated at 61,797. By the fourth quarter, however, the majority of the fans had already left, as Texas ran away with a 66-31 win.

Texas captains Trey Hopkins, Alex Okafor, Kenny Vaccaro, and Ryan Roberson prepare to take the field before the Longhorns' first-ever trip to Oxford. Texas went on to trounce the Rebels, 66-31, to improve to 3-0. Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Junior linebacker Jordan Hicks brings down Ole Miss' Randall Mackey, one of his three tackles in the 66-31 victory. The Longhorns defense allowed nearly 400 yards, not including a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. But the Texas offense more than made up for the defensive miscues, scoring more points in one game since the 2005 Big 12 title game. Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon | Daily Texan Staff

Alex Okafor takes on a Rebels offensive lineman. The senior defensive end made three tackles, including two of Texas' five sacks — all in the first half — on the night. Okafor was part of a defense that picked off Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace three times but found itself susceptible to giving up big plays. Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Senior D. J. Monroe prepares to celebrate after a 10-yard touchdown run in the third quarter — the first of five second-half touchdowns scored by Texas against Ole Miss Saturday. Monroe, who has scored in each of the Longhorns' three games this season, was part of a Texas offense that racked up 676 total yards, tied for the second-highest single-game total in school history. Photo Credit: Andrew Torrey | Daily Texan Staff

Sophomore quarterback David Ash eludes an Ole Miss defender during the Longhorns' win over the Rebels Saturday. Ash was 19-of-23 passing for 324 yards and four touchdowns — both career-highs. Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Sophomore running back Joe Bergeron gets one of his 11 carries against Ole Miss Saturday. Bergeron ran for 48 yards before exiting with a shoulder injury, although the initial prognosis is not serious. Photo Credit: Andrew Torrey | Daily Texan Staff