Darrell Bazzell named senior vice president, CFO of University

President Gregory L. Fenves named Darrell Bazzell, vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, as senior vice president and chief financial officer of the University on Tuesday. Bazzell will assume his new role at UT on April 18.

Bazzell worked as CFO for the University of Wisconsin-Madison for almost 13 years. He oversaw budgeting and financing for UW-Madison's medical school and academic medical center and worked with campus organizations to develop more efficient budgeting practices, according to a press release.

At UW-Madison, he supported the First Wave initiative, which uses urban arts, spoken word and hip-hop culture to promote learning and diversity engagement.

From 2001–2003, he served as secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, and has also worked with Wisconsin state agencies and the state legislature.

Bazzell said he is honored to serve as the University’s new CFO.

“As I considered this role and the financial challenges that confront public research universities, I was very impressed by the consistently high level of enthusiasm for UT Austin,” Bazzell said in a press release.

Bazzell will take over for Mary Knight, who has served as interim CFO at the University since February 2015.  

In an email to faculty and students Tuesday, Fenves said he thinks Bazzell's experience will help the University increase its collaboration and research innovation.

“His collaborative style and his financial expertise will allow us to continue to support our teaching, research and service missions and to move the university forward.” Fenves said.