Longhorns look to keep top wide receiver recruit

On July 27, 2014, the Longhorns football program received one of its biggest commitments of the year, when wide receiver John Burt committed to come to Austin, and be the top receiver commit for the Longhorns in the Class of 2015. 

Burt, the 6-foot-3 receiver from Lincoln High School in Tallahassee, Florida, was an impressive commit for the Texas program as Burt was also being heavily recruited by perennial SEC power Auburn, and hometown school Florida State.

While Burt is not one of the fastest receiving prospects in the nation, his size and route-running ability makes him one of the top high school receivers in the country and a lethal red-zone threat. Many compare Burt to current NFL receivers Brandon Marshall and A.J Green as well as current Texas senior receiver John Harris. 

Longhorn fans were ecstatic to receive the ninth best receiving prospect in the nation per rivals.com, however, Burt’s commitment to play for the Longhorns next year is currently in doubt. Following his commitment to Texas, Florida State has ended their recruitment of Burt, but Auburn has not let up, believing that ultimately Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and his staff can lure Burt away from Texas, and have him spend his Saturday’s at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn. 

Burt recently made his fourth visit to Auburn on Oct. 4, and was quite impressed with the Auburn program as it dismantled the LSU Tigers 41-7. 

"It went really well," Burt said after his visit. "That was my first official visit and everything went pretty much as expected, from what I've heard official visits go. I had a real good time. It was a real good experience.”

The battle for Burt will be hard fought up until national signing day in February, and the Longhorns must continue to show Burt that the Longhorn program is not only stable, but on the rise. Texas sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes has shown improvement at quarterback throughout the year and the Longhorns are coming off three-straight wins, but if they want to secure their commitment of Burt, they must end the season strong against TCU and in their upcoming bowl game. 

With Harris graduating this spring, the Longhorns receiving corps will be in desperate need of players who can not only stretch the field, but become premier red-zone targets for Swoopes and the Longhorns offense. If the Longhorns can secure the commitment of Burt, it will go a long way to bolstering the Texas offense in years to come.