Texas basketball lands four-star recruit

It was quite the eventful birthday for Kerwin Roach on Oct. 24th. Roach, the four-star guard from North Shore high school in Houston celebrated his birthday in style, verbally committing to play for the Longhorns, becoming the second high school player to do so in the Class of 2015. 

Along with guard Eric Davis from Saginaw Arthur Hill high school in Saginaw, Michigan, Roach is the Longhorns second commit from the Class of 2015. Both players are listed as shooting guards, but according to most scouts, Roach is a versatile combo guard, who will be seeing a lot of time at point guard. According to Roach, he has often drawn comparisons to current NBA point guards Russell Westbrook and Derek Rose, both of whom are viewed as some of the top athletes in the league. 

“Roach is an combination guard that is a terrific athlete,” ESPN recruiting analyst Dave Telep said. “He is a quick first step slasher to the rim not only on the break but from the top and wing in the half-court set as well.” 

This athleticism and ability to attack the basket will make Roach a very nice compliment to Davis, who is known as one of the premier three-point shooters in the Class of 2015.

Landing Roach was key for the Longhorns in their recruitment of the Class of 2015, as Roach chose to play for the Longhorns over Big 12 rivals Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma State. Within the Longhorn program, it is always stressed that in the recruiting sphere, head coach Rick Barnes and his staff must “seal the borders” and land all possible prospects from the state of Texas. With the addition of Roach, Barnes and his staff did just that. 

"It's so close to home,” Roach said following a visit with his family to the University on Oct. 17th. “It's good to have a powerhouse school in the state, where your family can go see you play.”

Roach is the 34th ranked player in the nation per rivals.com, and along with Davis provides the Longhorns with two top tier, four-star guards. The Longhorns will still look to the forward position to solidify the front line in their continued recruitment of the Class of 2015, but via the commitments of Roach and Davis, the Longhorns backcourt looks to be one of the strongest in the nation for years to come.