Texas basketball claims first 2015 commit

Coming off a year in which Texas secured McDonald’s All American Myles Turner, as well as top twenty five recruit Jordan Barnett, the Longhorns basketball program now has its first basketball commitment for the Class of 2015.

Eric Davis, a guard from Saginaw, Michigan, announced his decision to attend Texas and play for the Longhorns in a press conference on Tuesday, September 16, at his high school, Saginaw Arthur Hill.

Davis, the No. 41 ranked player in the nation according to the ESPN 100, will bring a much needed spark to the Longhorns offense, an offense that finished 84th in the NCAA last season in points per game and 238th overall in field goal percentage. At 6-foot-3, Davis is thought to be one of the best scoring guards in the country.

"I think that Davis' biggest strength is that he is a pure scorer," Rivals.com National Recruiting Analyst Eric Bossi said. “He has a high skill level, can put the ball on the floor to create his offense and is a good enough shooter from deep to keep defenders guessing”. 

This ability to score off the dribble as well as shoot from outside has many comparing Davis to current NBA guards James Harden of the Houston Rockets and Monta Ellis of the Dallas Mavericks. Davis earned All-State honors as a sophomore at Saginaw Arthur Hill, but truly began to shine during his junior year in which he averaged 27 points per game and led Saginaw Arthur Hill to a league championship while being awarded the Michigan Class A Player of the Year award. 

Despite the Michigan product receiving offers from in-state powers Michigan and Michigan State -- as well as out of state programs LSU, UCLA, and UNLV -- Davis chose Texas, mainly due to his relationship with head coach Rick Barnes.  

"Me and Coach Barnes have a great relationship that we developed over time and on my visit," Davis said in his press conference. "I just felt really comfortable. I felt like I was on the team when I was on my visit."

In a conference that has produced 20 first round draft picks in the past five years, recruiting top rate talent is essential. With the additions of Myles Turner and Jordan Barnett in the Class of 2014, and now Eric Davis in the Class of 2015, the Longhorns are once again acquiring top tier high school talent, and look to be one of the preeminent programs in the Big 12 once again.