Three biggest surprises in fantasy baseball this year

We are now a little more than two weeks into the MLB season and it is still way too early to start throwing labels on players, but there are a few players who have been on fire so far this season. Here’s a list of a few guys that have done a lot to increase their fantasy value in the first two weeks of the season.

1. John Buck, C, New York Mets

In his first 46 at-bats of the year Buck has already hit six home runs and knocked in 19 runs. This is a good sign for fantasy owners because in 106 games during the 2012 season, Buck hit just 12 home runs and had a horrendous .192 average. I would not recommend making a trade for Buck just yet though; maybe wait a month or so and see if he can continue to put up quality stats. I would also be careful to give up a lot for Buck because in his nine MLB seasons he has never hit for an average above .300. There is no doubt that the way he has been playing has significantly increased his fantasy value, but just make sure to keep a close eye on his performance to see if he can keep it up throughout the rest of the season.  

2. Chris Davis, 1B, Baltimore Orioles

Davis has almost identical stats to Buck; in 47 at bats he has hit six home runs, 19 RBIs and is hitting .340. His stats are not as surprising as Buck’s though because last season he hit .270 with 33 home runs and 85 RBIs so it looks like he has picked up right where he left off in 2012. Nonetheless, his stats are still quite impressive and if you are in need of a power hitter who can also hit for a decent average then you should definitely look into trading for Davis, and you should be able to get a fair deal for him.

3. Matt Harvey, SP, New York Mets

Harvey has started this season as one of the hottest pitchers in all of baseball. In his first three starts he has recorded three wins, allowed only two earned runs and posted an ERA of just 0.82. This hot start is surprising because in 10 starts last season, he struggled, posting a mediocre record of 3-5, but with a year of experience under his belt the 24-year-old starter looks poised to have a great season. Harvey is owned in 100 percent of ESPN fantasy leagues, but if he begins to struggle a little bit that number could decline and ultimately give fantasy owners a chance to pick him up or trade for him.