Halftime Blog UT vs WVU

Wide receiver Marquise Goodwin carries the ball in the first half.

Texas and West Virginia’s offenses battled the entire first half, but the Longhorns headed into the locker room with a 28-27 lead.

West Virginia started the game off with a 44-yard kickoff return from Tavon Austin.  Running back Andrew Buie had a thirty-yard gain for the Mountaineers, which led to an eight-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Geno Smith to Stedman Bailey.

The Longhorns responded on the following drive when David Ash took the team downfield and finished the drive with a 2-yard touchdown run from Joe Bergeron.  Kicker Anthony Fera had his first kick as a Longhorn with the extra point to tie the game at 7-7.

One again, the kickoff coverage team allowed the Mountaineers to gain significant yards.  Austin had a 67-yard kickoff return to the Texas 32.  But, the defense came through and stopped the Mountaineers when Alex Okafor blocked their 42-yard field goal attempt.

The Longhorns got the ball at their own 35-yard line.  Though they have had success on fourth down so far this season, they failed to convert and the Mountaineers got the ball on their own 44-yard line.

Smith showed why he is considered a Heisman favorite when he threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Austin.  He had been sacked on fourth down earlier in the drive, but Texas called a timeout before the play and Smith took advantage of his second chance.

The Longhorns went into the second quarter with a 14-7 deficit.

But, the Mountaineers scored early in the second quarter when Buie ran the ball in for a 4-yard touchdown.

Marquise Goodwin had a 48-yard kickoff return.  The next play, he fumbled the ball and West Virginia recovered it.  But, the defense responded well and stopped Smith and the Mountaineers.  Jackson Jeffcoat and Kendall Thompson sacked Smith on the drive.

Freshman Johnathan Gray had a 49-yard run that gave the Longhorns the ball at the two-yard line.  Bergeron ran the ball in for a two-yard touchdown, making the score 21-14 in favor of the Mountaineers.

Texas’ defensive line kept the pressure on Smith throughout the half.  It paid off when Alex Okafor forced Smith to fumble the ball and Jeffcoat recovered the ball in the end zone, tying the game at 21 apiece.

The Mountaineers stormed downfield, but Desmond Jackson sacked Smith for a loss of nine-yards on third down and forced the Mountaineers to settle for a 37-yard field goal.

Bergeron scored his third touchdown of the half to put the Longhorns up 27-24. At the end of the half, the defense stopped the Mountaineers and forced them to kick a 41-yard field goal, giving the Longhorns a one-point lead.