Tight ends compete

Over the past couple seasons, a reliable tight end has been difficult to find for the Longhorns. Especially with the graduation of Blaine Irby, co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin is in need of someone to be consistent in the position.

Though it’s not clear who is leading the pack, he mentioned that D.J. Grant and M.J. McFarland are doing well.

But during the team’s scrimmage on Sunday, he witnessed Greg Daniels’ improvement. A former defensive lineman, Daniels is new to the offensive side of the ball.

Daniels, who appeared in three games last year on defense as a redshirt freshman, displayed his finesse at the new position on Sunday.

“Just his footwork, and for a guy that hasn’t played the position very long. I thought he played with low pad level. I thought he showed some of his strength and his size out there in some of the run game stuff,” Harsin said.

He injured his shoulder earlier this year and missed spring practice. But, Harsin said he is beginning to understand his tight end role better.

“So he’s a guy that’s just starting to come on, and things are starting to click. And you can just feel like he’s starting to understand what his role can be for us,” Harsin said.

But, being new to the position, he will face competition from the veterans.

Grant finished last season with 16 receptions for 180 yards. Harsin said he and the other tight ends are working on specific aspects of their games to improve on. The team is currently needs a tight end that is strong in both blocking and catching aspects of the position.

The position is a work in progress.

“We’re balancing all those things out, but there are going to be roles where guys play and they come in and their job, first of all, is to set the edge or their job is to get vertical up the field. Then you start to mix and match your personnel so you’re not being predictable out there,” Harsin said.

On Aug. 11, head coach Mack Brown announced on Twitter that wide receiver Miles Onyegbule would be given a shot at the position.

“Decided 2day we're gonna give Miles Onyegbule a good look @ TE starting this PM. Big, strong, great hands. Really think he can help us there,” Brown tweeted.

Onyegbule made four catches for 51 yards as a freshman last season.

“I feel like that position is getting better and better,” Harsin said.