Longhorns defeat the Rebels 66-31

Texas players celebrate by singing the Eyes of Texas after their 66-31 win against Ole Miss.

TheLonghorns defense had its ups and downs against Ole Miss but improved to 3-0 by crushing the Rebels, 66-31, Saturday night in Oxford.

The scoring began when Steve Edmond intercepted a pass from Bo Wallace at the Ole Miss 22 and ran it in for a touchdown.  Nick Jordan later capitalizedon a 31-yard field goal to put the Longhorns up 10-0.

The defense couldn’t stop Wallace and the Ole Miss offense, allowing the Rebels to head down the field in 12 plays as Randall Mackey scored on a three-yard run.

Early in the second quarter, Marquise Goodwin added to the Longhorns’ lead when he rushed for a 69-yard touchdown.

Goodwin struck again when he caughta 45-yard pass from Ash, setting up a three-yard touchdown pass from Ash to D.J. Grant. 

Quandre Diggs intercepted the ball at the Texas 13-yard line and returned the ball for twelve yards.  The offense capitalized on the gift from the defense when Ash threw a one-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Roberson at the end of the half. 

The Longhorns allowed 179 yards, which included both a 36 and 30-yard pass from Wallace, in the first half, which ended with the Longhorns holding a 31-10 lead over the Rebels.

Texas scored on their first drive of the second half when D.J. Monroe ran the ball ten yards into the end zone.

The Rebels fired back on the next drive when Bo Wallace completed a 75-yard pass to Donte Moncrief for a touchdown.

The Longhorns have put emphasis on capitalizing on explosive plays. Ash did just that when Mike Davis’ 45-yard reception gave the Longhorns a first and goal. Malcolm Brown had a five-yard run for a touchdown to make the score 45-17.

Missed tackles by the Longhorns led to a 48-yard touchdown run by Jeff Scott, cutting the score to 45-24.

Ash continued throwing downfield and sent a 46-yard touchdown pass to Davis.

Quandre Diggs had his second interception of the game at the Mississippi 29-yard line. Once again, the Longhorns scored after an interception. Malcolm Brown had a 12-yard rushing touchdown increasing the Longhorns’ lead to 59-24.

Though the Longhorns’ kickoff coverage team has been playing well so far this season. But they let up and gave up a touchdown to Jaylen Walton off a kickoff by Nick Rose.

Ash and Goodwin continued their dominance when Goodwin caught a 55-yard touchdown pass from Ash to give the Longhorns a dominating 66-31 lead.