Ash named starting quarterback

Head coach Mack Brown named David Ash as the starting quarterback for the team’s season opener against Wyoming on Sept. 1.

When it comes to the quarterback position on Texas’ depth chart, seeing an “or” between Ash’s and Case McCoy’s name is very common. But not this time.

“[Ash] ended up having a little edge, that was it,” Brown said.

But both quarterbacks will play, according to Brown.

“We are not hesitant to put either one of them in the game but David will start,” Brown said.

The coaches are not sure about how they will split playing time between the two. He said the coaches will probably determine how they would utilize both players next Thursday.

Brown hoped the two quarterbacks would compete over the summer and push one another. He said they are both more accurate and more confident.

‘They’re both much better than they were at this time last year in our estimation. David hadn’t taken a snap and Case had taken nine snaps the year before,” Brown said. “We also feel like both of them have been really good leaders.”

Brown said the quarterbacks have only thrown two interceptions during scrimmages during preseason practice thus far. Last year Ash threw eight interceptions and McCoy threw four.

“I think it’s ideal to have both guys playing at a high level,” said co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin. “That’s what you want. It creates competition. It makes the team around them better.”