NFL Draft— Trading all around

In yesterday’s Daily Texan, the Texan sports opinion staff informed readers that they could pass on the first 20 minutes of the draft. Hopefully you tuned in soon after because Radio City Music Hall got pretty interesting on Thursday night.
Three surprising top-10 trades shook up the draft. But at the end of the night, Trent Richardson landed in Cleveland, Justin Blackmon went to Jacksonville and Morris Clairborne ended up in Dallas.

Oh yeah, Andrew Luck was selected by the Colts first and Robert Griffin III was chosen by the Redskins with the second pick.

The Browns moved from the No. 4 sport to Minnesota’s No. 3 before the draft began and selected Richardson — the running back from Alabama. With this trade, the Vikings got fourth, fifth and seventh round picks.

With the fourth pick in the draft, the Vikings took USC left tackle Matt Kalil.

The Buccaneers traded their number No. 5 pick to the Jaguars for the seventh pick and a fourth round pick. The Jaguars chose Oklahoma State receiver Blackmon. The Buccaneers chose Alabama safety Mark Barron with the seventh pick.

The Rams, who originally had the sixth pick, traded their pick to Dallas for the No. 14 pick and the 45th pick. The Cowboys selected LSU cornerback Claiborne.

The Rams eventually selected defensive tackle Michael Brockers at No. 14. The Dolphins took Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the eighth pick and the Bills took South Caroline cornerback Stephon Gilmore with the tenth pick. Tannehill is the first A&M quarterback to be chosen in the first round. The Panthers chose Boston College’s Luke Kuechly.

The Cleveland Browns had one of the worst offenses in the NFL last year. Not only did the Browns add Richardson, but they chose Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden with the 22nd pick.

The Browns will have an interesting competition for quarterback with former Longhorn Colt McCoy currently at the helm.

The Kansas City Chiefs took Memphis’ Dontari Poe eleventh overall. The Eagles traded to get the 12th pick and they chose Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox. With that trade, the Seahawks got the Nos. 15, 114 and 192 picks.

The Jets chose North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples at No. 16 while the Bengals chose Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick was picked up by the Bengals.

The Lions chose Iowa’s Riley Reiff, the Steelers chose David DeCastro of Stanford and the Patriots chose Dont’a Hightower from Alabama.

The Texans picked DE Whitney Mercilus, the Bengals chose Wisconsin’s Kevin Zeitler and the Packers chose USC defensive end Nick Perry with the 28th pick.

Although the first two picks were decided before the draft even began on Thursday, there were plenty of change-ups and trades that kept things interesting.