Recruiting surprise for Texas

Although Texas is notorious for doing most of its recruiting work early, the team had a late surprise on Wednesday. Four-star defensive end Torshiro Davis has switched his commitment from LSU to Texas. He is Texas’ 28th letter of intent for the class of 2012.

At 6-foot-3, 222 pounds, Rivals ranks Davis as the nation’s 125th best overall and ESPNU ranks him 77th overall. Davis made an official visit to Texas in December. He had been committed to LSU since February 3, 2011. But made his decision to switch to Texas shortly after 11 a.m. on Wednesday.

Davis is the fourth player since Saturday to switch a non-binding verbal pledge to Texas. Dalton Santos from Tennessee, Daje Johnson from TCU and Bryce Cottrell from Oregon all switched from their prospective schools. Although he comes from Shreveport Woodlawn High School, a football powerhouse in Louisiana, Torshiro made the tough decision to leave his home state and his commitment to LSU.

Davis had visited both Alabama and Texas during the recruitment process. But his relationship with defensive tackles coach Bo Davis could have contributed to his last-minute change of heart. The two became close during the recruitment process, but met at a summer camp in Alabama his sophomore year. Texas did not give up on recruiting him, even though his allegiance appeared to lie with LSU. Texas continued to recruit him until last week when Davis told the team he would be signing with LSU.

Rivals ranked him as the eighth-best outside linebacker in the country. But he may play defensive end at UT. He specializes in pass rushing.

With Texas’ top recruits mostly on the offensive side of the field, Davis will be an important edition to the slightly depleted defense. Linebackers Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Robinson’s graduations will provide Davis with the opportunity to play early in his career at Texas. He definitely has the ability to make a difference in Texas’ rebuilding effort.

Texas now has 12 of the top 150 prospects in its recruiting class.