Wildcats have been thorn in Longhorns' side

Colt McCoy is helped off the field after being injured against Kansas State in 2007. The quarterback was unable to lead Texas past the Wildcats, who have beaten the Longhorns three games in a row. (Daily Texan file photo)

Texas is used to success.

The Longhorns football program is unlike most teams in the country. It gets the best recruits, it has the best facilities, and it has the top coaches. A majority of programs would love to have merely one of the three. With the exception of the 2010 season, not many teams have come in the way of the Longhorns in the past decade. Occasionally, a Sooner roadblock or a last-second Red Raider miracle will upend Texas’ season but never on a consistent basis.

However, not since 2003 have the Longhorns defeated the Kansas State Wildcats.

Their last win came eight years ago when quarterback Vince Young established himself as the go-to guy, replacing quarterback Chance Mock in Texas’s 24-20 victory. The Longhorns only faced the Wildcats twice every four years in the old format of the Big 12, leading some to believe the Kansas State victories were flukes. Regardless, Texas was favored in two of the three meetings since its 2003 victory, only to fall short all three times.

From Texas’ season collapsing in Manhattan in 2006 to the Wildcats punishing an already-struggling team last season, the Longhorns have had their fair share of difficulties with Kansas State. And Saturday might not prove any different.

In 2006, the Longhorns were on the cusp of the national championship game for a second consecutive year. Texas ranked fourth in the AP poll and traveled to the “Little Apple” behind redshirt freshman quarterback Colt McCoy, destined to defeat the Wildcats with ease. After an early Longhorn touchdown, McCoy left the game with an injury. Quarterback Jevan Snead entered the game and kept Texas in it, passing for 190 yards and a touchdown. However, Kansas State proved too much for the Longhorns to handle. Behind quarterback Josh Freeman’s three touchdowns and 269 yards passing, the Wildcats shocked the Longhorns 45-42.

In 2007, with revenge on its minds, Texas welcomed Kansas State to Austin only to receive a 41-21 beat down at the hands of receiver Jordy Nelson. The Wildcats lost the yardage battle 272-330, but completely baffled Texas with special teams and defensive plays, registering three touchdowns off those alone.

This Saturday, Kansas State returns to Austin, with one of the most threatening rushing attacks in the country. Quarterback Collin Klein is averaging 100 yards a game on the ground and is fresh off of running for five touchdowns against the Aggies this past weekend. Texas will certainly have its hands full against the Wildcats and its grind-it-out offense. 

Printed on Thursday, November 17, 2011 as: Kansas State presents problem for UT