Stat Guy: Looking at some past UT-OSU clashes

Oklahoma State was able to defeat Texas last year 33-16 after several years of disappointment against the Longhorns. This year the Cowboys bring one of the nation’s top-ranked offenses to face a Longhorn secondary that is struggling to find it’s collective identity.

The last time Oklahoma State walked off the field at DKR, it was victorious in a 33-16 shellacking of the Longhorns. And don’t let the score fool you, it wasn’t that close. The Cowboys rode into Austin, put up 532 total yards of offense — 409 through the air — and jumped out to a 26-3 lead by halftime.

But it usually isn’t like that when these two teams face. Usually, it’s the Cowboys who end up disappointed.

In 2004, Texas trailed OSU 35-7 at halftime in Austin. The Longhorns came out in the second half and put up 49 unanswered points behind running back Cedric Benson’s five touchdowns. Longhorn quarterback Vince Young helped out a little, too, with 123 yards rushing and 278 yards passing.

A year later, the Longhorns traveled to Stillwater to face the Cowboys. Texas was down at halftime 28-12. The second half proved no different than the year before. The Longhorns stormed back behind Young’s astonishing 267 yards rushing, and a now-famous 80-yard touchdown dash where he pump-faked a Cowboy defender into the air.

In 2007, Texas found itself in the same position once more. The Longhorns trailed the Cowboys 35-14 at the end of the third quarter. Once again, Texas mounted another comeback, riding strong plays by Jamaal Charles and Colt McCoy and a last-second field goal by Ryan Bailey to win the game, 38-35.

The poor Cowboys couldn’t catch a break.

Fast forward to its 2010 game against Texas and OSU caught a lot more than just that. The Pokes snagged 29 balls for 409 yards. That’s 14 yards a pass. Wide receiver Justin Blackmon caught nine passes for 145 yards and a touchdown. Brandon Weeden completed 68 percent of his passes, picking apart a veteran Texas secondary that produced three NFL draft picks last April.

Compared to the Longhorns’ 358 total yards, the Cowboys produced 49 percent more offense. Weeden doubled Garrett Gilbert’s passing total. Most importantly, the Cowboys finally beat the Longhorns in all four quarters of a football game.