Playlist of the Week: Week 2

In this weekly feature, we make a playlist of some of the best and most important new songs from the week before. Each track is supplemented with a short commentary, giving a sense of why you should check them out.

Icona Pop — “All Night”

Swedish duo Icona Pop describes their music as “classical pop melodies with drums and synths.” With “All Night,”  Icona Pop has made another party staple. 

CHVRCHES — “Gun”

One of many great tracks from CHVRCHES' debut album The Bones of What You Believe, “Gun” features the same fundamentals as Icona Pop. Instead of a party hit, though, it tells the story of going after someone who once wronged you. It doesn’t matter if it’s a worst enemy, ex-lover or the annoying roommate who ate the rest of your hummus, CHVRCHES’ vision is adaptable to any vengeful situation. (There’s an awesome music video too.)

Drake — “Worst Behavior”

Drake's new record Nothing Was the Same features a plethora of potential radio hits, and, if not for the 18 f-bombs dropped in “Worst Behavior,” this could easily be one of them. Read our review of his new album here.

Lorde — “Team”

Everyone’s favorite 16-year-old New Zealand pop artist drops her debut LP soon in the U.S., and the single “Team” is a great display of Lorde’s style. 

CHVRCHES — “Strong Hand (Bonus Track)”

Even the bonus songs stand out on CHVRCHES new album. “Strong Hand” was exclusively released on the deluxe version of the album, but it's not a throwaway track. The payoff arrives with a Sleigh Bells-like chorus that is loud, lively and supersonic. 

Drake — “Too Much”

“Too Much” is one of Drake's most confessional songs. Dealing with the anxiety of overthinking, Drake calls out to his uncle, mother and entire family. “Guess since my text message didn’t resonate, I’ll just say it here,” he exclaims, and gives compassionate lines trying to provoke his family members to still live the lives they once dreamed of. 

Mazzy Star — “Common Burn”

Ending the playlist is a gloomy track by male/female songwriter duo Mazzy Star, out of their 17-year album-less hiatus. Originally released as a single in 2011, “Common Burn” is the centerpiece of their new album Seasons of Your Day. While many comeback albums can be seen as cash-ins of unrealized ideas, Mazzy Star's is not. Passionate, discreet and on-point, the duo sounds as fresh as ever. Read our review of their dreamy new album here.