Texas struggles in first half against TCU

Texas running back Joe Bergeron is tackled during the first half. Bergeron had five carries for 12 yards.

Photo Credit: Andrew Torrey | Daily Texan Staff

Texas, especially its offense, struggled early against TCU, giving the Horned Frogs a 14-3 lead at halftime.

After a promising start to Texas’ first drive with Johnathan Gray rushing for 23 yards, David Ash was picked off by Jason Verrett on a pass intended for Mike Davis.

Texas’ run defense struggled throughout the first half and allowed 70 rushing yards on TCU’s first drive.  Their 94-yard drive ended with a 2-yard touchdown run from Matthew Tucker.

Though Ash threw a 16-yard pass to Jaxon Shipley to get Texas on the TCU 14-yard line, they were stopped at the TCU eight. Nick Jordan hit a 25-yard field goal to make the score 7-3 to end the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Longhorns stopped the Horned Frogs on third and one.  But TCU’s Jaden Oberkrom missed the 33-yard field goal.

Ash was picked off in the red zone for the second time in the half on a pass intended for Shipley.

Ash’s struggles continued after he fumbled the ball giving the Horned Frogs possession on the Texas 16-yard line.  An 11-yard gain by Tucker gave the Horned Frogs the ball on the one.  He then ran it in for a touchdown, giving TCU a 14-3 lead.

Case McCoy replaced Ash at the end of the half.