Texas adds two more to qualifying round of tournament

Men's Tennis

Daniel Holiner has yet to lose a set at the ITA All-American Championships, defeating Edgar Rodrigues from USC Upstate and Arturs Kazijevs from SMU en route to becoming one of five Longhorns in the singles draw.

Photo Credit: Fanny Trang | Daily Texan Staff

Texas will add two more players to the qualifying draw of the ITA All-American Championships this week after posting consecutive victories in the pre-qualifying draws this weekend.

Junior Alex Hilliard and sophomore David Holiner won two matches on Sunday to move in to the qualifying singles draw, which starts today. There they will join teammates Daniel Whitehead, Ben Chen and Soren Hess-Olesen, who are also in the draw.

Holiner posted a straight-sets victory over USC-Upstate’s Edgar Rodriguez in his first round match and won the first set 7-5 over SMU’s Arturs Kazijevs, before Kazijevs retired.

Hilliard fought back from a set down in both of his matches, getting the victories over Jorge Cavero of Southern Illinois and then Davis O’Hare of Memphis. Sophomore Sudanwa Sitaram and junior Chris Camillone also posted first round wins. Both lost their second round matches.

Also competing in the doubles qualifying round are the team of Holiner and Hess-Olesen and the team of Chen and Whitehead.

Printed on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 as: Hilliard, Holiner each triumph twice, earn spots in ITA tourney singles draw