New recruit Javan Felix tweets his thoughts about UT

Photo Credit: Gerald Rich | Daily Texan Staff

As a journalist, it is sometimes difficult to snag interviews from high profile athletes, but when Texas’ 2012 basketball recruit, Javan Felix, announced his commitment to the Longhorns two weeks ago, I wanted to see if I could conduct an interview using Twitter. I tweeted him, not expecting to get a response because my 25 followers isn’t a commanding quantity of prestige, but lo and behold the point guard from St. Augustine High School in New Orleans responded. Here are the hard-hitting issues we discussed.

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx Daily Texan Associate Sports Editor here! Welcome to UT! Mind if I ask you a couple of questions for the paper?

J_Felixx:
@SameerBhuchar I dont mind

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx Cool..we’ll just make this a back&forth twit chat..real casual. So 1st off...how excited (or unexcited maybe?) are you about coming to UT?

J_Felixx:
@SameerBhuchar im very excited. Texas was my dream school and I was very happy that coach barnes chose me out of all the people in the country

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx...What strengths do you think you’ll bring to the team?

J_Felixx:
@SameerBhuchar ive been labled as a true point guard so I am looking to come in and control the tempo of games and get the ball to the right people at the right time

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx and what do you think you need to work on?

J_Felixx:
@SameerBhuchar the things I need to work on are lateral quickness and extending my range

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx alright..now that we got the bball formalities out of the way, lets talk other things. Are fans in LA mad you chose TX?

J_Felixx:
@SameerBhuchar no its pretty much a family environment, so people are supporting much more than being disappointed

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx Which do you prefer Texas BBQ or LA Cajun food?

Javan Felix:
@SameerBhuchar they are both good I enjoy both foods

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx No place like Austin for good Bbq! If u could put 2gether a dream team of ballers (any generation) to play w/. who’d u pick?

Javan Felix:
@SameerBhuchar me, michael jordan, majic johnson, kareem abdul jabar, and shaq in his prime

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx Michael as a Bull or Wizard?

Javan Felix:
@SameerBhuchar bull of course

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx What if you had to have him as a wizard, but you get LBJ in the finals as his reserve? Also... you an LBJ fan at all?

Javan Felix:
@SameerBhuchar yes im a lbj fan however, Im not a fan of how he played in the finals

SameerBhuchar:
@J_Felixx I see you are an avid Twitter user...I’m new to it, who do you follow the most and recommend I should follow?

Javan Felix:
@SameerBhuchar just follow your friends and any superstar or athlete that you enjoy

Sameer Bhuchar:
@J_Felixx Thanks for your time man

Javan Felix:
@texansports okay thanks man  

Printed on Friday, August 26, 2011 as: Hoops 2012 signee Javan Felix excited to play for Barnes.