Big 12 Conference

As a transfer from the University of Houston, then sophomore midfielder Sharis Lachappelle earned Big 12 conference honors in her first game as a Longhorn and lead the team with five goals. This year, she’s tied as the team’s leading scorer again, but that’s not what matters most.  

“The all-conference and newcomer thing: It’s nice to receive, but at the end of the season those are just extra things,” Lachappelle said. “It’s not my goal.”

For Lachappelle, now a junior studying mathematics, her ultimate goal is to be as productive as possible to help bring her team success.

“It’s not my goal to get individual awards; I would much rather have a Big 12 ring or a national championship ring,” she said. “I don’t really care about my name in the paper more so than I like to see our team’s name in the paper.”

Lachappelle has notched four goals on 20 shots on goal and three assists so far in 2013. Head coach Angela Kelly said her left-footed shot makes her a threat when it comes to scoring.

“She’s a naturally left-footed player and they’re worth their weight in gold in the game of soccer,” Kelly said. “She’s just got a ton of creativity and willingness to put the ball in the back of the net and take responsibility for a team.”

To Lachappelle, scoring is an experience that brings the team together, a fulfilling moment for her after all her hard work. 

“When your teammates are hugging you, there really isn’t any really greater feeling,” Lachappelle said. “It’s just a really rewarding feeling knowing that all your practice and preseason and everything that you work for is really paying off.”

Math is an offbeat major for an athlete, but she enjoys problem solving on and off the field.

“As a kid, I just always loved math problems, so it just made sense to major in math, and calculus is definitely my favorite math,” she said. “I like taking derivatives and integrals, I don’t know, that stuff is fun.”

As a member of UTeach, a program in which she will graduate with a teaching degree, Lachappelle said she’s considered teaching math at any level but ultimately sees herself back on a college campus as a professor but at a smaller university than Texas.

Kelly said she’s not surprised by Lachappelle’s goal of teaching and thinks her personality lends to a career like that.

“Honestly, I think that Sharis has been given qualities that are trending much more toward people,” Kelly said. “She needs to be giving back to the community, and I think if she was to become a professor, I think that would be wonderfully suited for her.”

Texas has only one game remaining in regular season play, and as the Longhorns move toward tournament play, Lachappelle’s personality and leadership ability will be key for the Longhorns to make a deep run. For Lachappelle, each day is a teaching moment, and the team still remembers the hard lesson of missing the NCAA tournament last season. 

Photo Credit: Joe Capraro | Daily Texan Staff

Texas women’s soccer will hit the road to play West Virginia in Morgantown, W.Va., and Kansas in Lawrence, Kan., coming off its first Big 12 Conference wins at home last weekend.

Texas beat TCU on Friday and Iowa State on Sunday to improve to an 8-3-1 record on the season, marking a four game winning streak. The team’s last loss came on the road to Colorado
College.

Since the loss, Texas has outscored its opponents 11-1 and so far this season it has seen 11 different players ranging from freshman forwards to the sophomore goalkeeper score a goal and 16 players record either an assist or goal.

“It takes a little bit of pressure off of each player and it certainly makes it hard to defend us,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “We’re going to need to be battle tested and we’re going to need every single one of us to be plugged in.”

Of the 11 players who scored, six have scored multiple goals. In 2012, only nine different players scored for the entire season. Sophomore forward Kelsey Shimmick and junior defender Brooke Gilbert lead the team with four goals apiece, followed by sophomore midfielder Chantale Campbell with three. 

The Mountaineers hold an 8-2-2 record and also head into the matchup on a four-game winning streak and an undefeated mark in Big 12 play, having beat Oklahoma State and Baylor in their last outings. The win against Baylor broke up a 31-game win streak for the Bears. Since joining the conference last year, West Virginia has yet to lose a Big 12 regular
season game.

“I’ve competed against West Virginia my whole career, especially at Tennessee and I have a ton of respect for their coaching staff and for their style of play,” Kelly said after the Iowa State win. “It’s a great environment in Morgantown. This is like an NCAA first or second round game to me. We’re ultimately here to win championships, so we need a little bit of that seasoning and we’re going to get it.”

Kansas will play TCU at home Sunday after taking on Texas on Friday. Going into the weekend, the Jayhawks have a 5-5-1 record, and are coming off a loss to Santa Clara. The Jawhawks will open conference play against the teams from Texas.

“It’s one game at time,” Kelly said. “It’s still very early in the conference season and we can’t ever look past an opponent and we’ve been taking it one game at a time.”

Texas Volleyball ranks No. 1 in Big 12 Preseason Poll

The Big 12 released their preseason Poll Wednesday afternoon, ranking Texas No. 1 and selecting the Longhorns as the favorite to win the Big 12 Conference volleyball title.

The Longhorns, who were unanimously selected by the conference with 64 total points, have been ranked No. 1 in the past three preseason polls, six times in the conference's history. The poll is determined by the league's head coaches.

Iowa State (55 points) was ranked second for the second straight season. Kansas (51 points) came in third.

Last season, the defending national championship Longhorns finished 29-4. They will return all but one of the championship squad including All-Americans Haley Eckerman and Bailey Webster as well as Hannah Allison, Khat Bell and Molly McCage. They defeated Oregon 3-0 in the national championship match last December in Louisville, KY.

In addition, the Longhorns have won 40 consecutive conference games at Gregory Gym. They have six Big 12 titles. Their season starts on August 30 at a tournament in Hawaii.

1. TEXAS

2. Iowa State

3. Kansas

4. Kansas State

5. Oklahoma

6. Baylor

7-tied. TCU

7-tied. Texas Tech

9. West Virginia

Parker French pitches against Nebraska in February. The sophomore will take the mound against Oklahoma State on Friday after missing last weekend’s road series with an injury. 

Photo Credit: Jorge Corona | Daily Texan Staff

With Oklahoma State this weekend, the Longhorns have the chance to show a marked improvement both in road contests and in Big 12 Conference play. The two will square off tonight at 6:30 p.m. for game one and will finish the series Friday night at 7 p.m. and Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. making it home in time for the Easter holidays on Sunday. 

The Longhorns (15-9, 1-2) defeated the Gophers last weekend, 2-1, on the road and compiled their first two road wins of the season. Currently, they are 2-5 while on the road. Earlier in the month, Texas dropped a three-game series, 0-3, to Stanford in its first road contest. Two weeks later, it dropped a mid-week matchup on the road in Houston. While the Longhorns showed progress on the road against the Cougars, losing only by one, they were unable to wrap up a win.

Last weekend in Minneapolis, the Longhorns looked to continue their road struggles, dropping game one 5-1. However, thanks to strong pitching performances from sophomore Dillon Peters and junior Nathan Thornhill, the Longhorns came out with the series. 

At the end of spring break, the Longhorns opened up their conference season with a 1-2 loss at home to in-state rival Texas Tech. After dropping the opener 0-1, the Longhorns picked up game two to force the rubber match. However, the Texas offense could not overcome a talented Red Raider pitching staff. 

With No. 18 Oklahoma State this weekend, the Longhorns have the opportunity to earn winning records in both categories. A 3-0 sweep of the Cowboys (19-5, 1-1) could do a lot to help propel the Longhorns through their upcoming conference schedule which features a home series against No. 12 Oklahoma, the top ranked Big 12 team according to the USA Today Coaches poll. 

Texas will be returning sophomore Parker French, the leader of the Longhorn pitching staff who was out for the Longhorn’s series against Minnesota. The Texas offense will rely on juniors Mark Payton and Erich Weiss along with freshman C.J Hinojosa at the plate who have been hitting a combined .356 on the season with Payton hitting .430.

The Cowboys struggled mid-week against Central Arkansas, dropping the contest 11-3 at home. In their Big 12 opener, they split the series 1-1 with Baylor, unable to play the rubber match due to heavy snow storms. Their top hitter, Tann Krietemeier is hitting .391 on the season with a cumulative team average of .300. 

Last April, the Longhorns swept Oklahoma State in a double header in Austin.

Four down, five to go.

The Longhorns (8-8, 4-0) are nearing the half-way point in Big 12 Conference play and continue to showcase their reign as defending conference champions.

However, the team suffered a setback with a loss to No. 10 Miami in non-conference play on Friday, with freshman Breaunna Addison the lone Longhorn to post a victory.

Aeriel Ellis, No. 42 singles, lost to No. 81 Kelsey Laurente, 7-5, 6-1, in a rematch of their meeting earlier this season in Miami.

After a 6-1 loss to Miami, Texas got back on track against West Virginia. The first meeting between the two as conference opponents also marked their first meeting ever.

Lina Padegimaite/Annat Rabinovich put the Longhorns on the board with an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles. The team clinched the doubles point at No. 2 singles after 19th ranked Addison/Noel Scott lost at first doubles.

In singles, all six Longhorns posted victories, giving them their second straight shut-out in Big-12 play. With the feat, Ellis, Addison, Padegimaite, Scott and Elizabeth Begley all improved to 4-0 in Big-12 singles.

Texas will take on Southern Methodist University next Sunday at home.

It may not be A&M, but Texas will face another instate rival this Thanksgiving: Texas Tech.

The Big 12 league Directors of Athletics announced its Thursday night game schedule Thursday, which includes a game against Iowa State in Ames on Oct. 3 as well as the Texas Tech game in Austin on Nov. 28.

Games played on Thursdays are part of a contract agreement between the Big 12 conference and its partnering networks, Fox Sports and ESPN. 

Other Big 12 Thursday night games include TCU and Texas Tech on Sept. 12 in Lubbock, as well as Oklahoma at Baylor on Nov. 7.    

Payton, French pair up to pace the Longhorns

Entering 2013, there were plenty of reasons for the Longhorn baseball team to wipe the slate clean and start over after last year’s disappointing season. Two Texas players have instead used last year as a launching pad to early success this year. Junior right fielder Mark Payton and sophomore pitcher Parker French,  have picked up right where they left off after they excelled in last year’s Big 12 conference play down the stretch. Leading the team in hitting and pitching, respectively, Payton and French have steered Texas to a much-needed 6-1 record. Although the team has yet to play an opponent that nears its level of talent, it was imperative that the Longhorns execute a strong start after 2012’s disappointing end. Fortunately for Texas fans and thanks in large part to Payton and French, that is exactly what they have done. With a three-game series this weekend against No. 11 Stanford, a team that swept the Longhorns in convincing fashion last year, Texas will need this budding duo to show up big at the plate and on the mound. And if the statistics from this season are any indicator, they will.

14: The number of games it took last year’s team to reach six wins, a season in which the Longhorns failed to win the Big 12 for only the second time in seven years. Behind Payton and French, Texas is currently 6-1 and in the midst of a five-game winning streak. However, this week’s series at Stanford will be a huge test, as the Longhorns have yet to face a ranked opponent. 

10: The number of RBIs Payton has this year through seven games, giving him by far the most on the team.  Although he is unlikely to maintain this torrid pace, he should bypass his numbers from last season easily, when he had 29 RBIs in 52 total games, including 16 in 24 conference games. At this point, no other Longhorn has knocked in more than three runs this year. 

8: The number of games played last year by the Longhorns before French recorded his first win, a 2-0 victory against Houston Baptist. Through seven games this year, French has already won twice at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.  After a strong Big 12 season, in which he went 4-1 in conference play, French was named this year’s opening-day starter and has not looked back. 

1.35: French’s ERA after his second victory of the season, an 8-2 win over Nebraska on Friday night. Through 13 1/3 pitched this year, French has surrendered only two runs, improving from his performance against Big 12 opponents as a freshman, when he posted a 2.54 ERA in eight appearances.

.500: Payton’s batting average through seven games, thanks to another impressive weekend series that has him at 12 hits in 24 at-bats. This offensive outburst appears to be an encore for last year’s Big 12 conference play, when he hit .343 in 24 games. 

Entering 2013, there were plenty of reasons for the Longhorn baseball team to wipe the slate clean and start over after last year’s disappointing season. Two Texas players have instead used last year as a launching pad to early success this year. Junior right fielder Mark Payton and sophomore pitcher Parker French,  have picked up right where they left off after they excelled in last year’s Big 12 conference play down the stretch. Leading the team in hitting and pitching, respectively, Payton and French have steered Texas to a much-needed 6-1 record. Although the team has yet to play an opponent that nears its level of talent, it was imperative that the Longhorns execute a strong start after 2012’s disappointing end. Fortunately for Texas fans and thanks in large part to Payton and French, that is exactly what they have done. With a three-game series this weekend against No. 11 Stanford, a team that swept the Longhorns in convincing fashion last year, Texas will need this budding duo to show up big at the plate and on the mound. And if the statistics from this season are any indicator, they will.

Men's Swimming and Diving

No. 7 Texas delivered on high expectations Friday, completely washing out Big 12 Conference rival TCU in 11 of 12 events, leading to a 133-88 victory.

Seniors Austin Surhoff and Dax Hill, sophomore Tripp Cooper and junior Charlie Moore set the tone for victory with a 1:31.77 win in the 200-yard medley relay. Sophomore Jake Ritter extended that tone as he led a one-two Texas finish in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:41.30.

Hill additionally led the 50 freestyle with a winning time of 20.83 seconds, and Surhoff, a former NCAA champion in the 200 individual medley, easily took that event with a time of 1:50.11.

Enhancing the Longhorn victory, both freshman Cory Bowersox and sophomore Will Chandler led a one-two-three-four Texas diving finish. Bowersox tallied 359.63 points in the one-meter event and Chandler 432.53 points in the three-meter.

Texas concluded the meet with wins in the last two events, however a Longhorn victory was eminent, so Texas completed the events as exhibitions.

The Longhorns will continue with their dual-meet schedule on Feb. 1, at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center when they host Arizona and SMU.

Head coach Bob Stoops and his Sooners fell short of a BCS bowl, and will face Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 4.

Because of the current BCS format, the Oklahoma Sooners were bumped out of contention for a BCS Bowl game berth despite a 10-2 record and a share of the Big 12 conference title. Oklahoma was considered a favorite to earn an at-large bid to a BCS game, but its hopes were squashed when MAC champion Northern Illinois finished in the Top 16 to earn a berth in the Orange Bowl. Kansas State, which also finished 8-1 in conference play, received the Big 12’s automatic BCS bid thanks to its 24-19 victory over the Sooners on Sept. 22. Oklahoma accepted its bid to play in the Cotton Bowl, where it will take on former conference rival Texas A&M.

Big 12 sets bowl record
Nine of the 10 teams in the Big 12 Conference qualified for bowl games in 2012, setting a new collegiate mark for postseason eligibility. The 90 percent of teams eligible for bowl games is the highest percentage ever in the FBS, and the Big 12 is the only conference this season other than the SEC to send nine teams to a bowl. Only one Big 12 team, Kansas State, earned a bid to a BCS game, but every other team in the conference besides Kansas will play in a postseason bowl. The conference was arguably the strongest in the FBS across the board this season, as Big 12 teams went undefeated against teams that did not qualify for a postseason game. Likewise, Big 12 teams had the highest win percentage in non-conference games, going 26-4.

Klein makes Heisman stand
Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein’s Heisman chances took a serious hit when the Wildcats suffered a late-season loss to Baylor, but the senior made a strong case to remain in contention in his final regular season game against Texas. Klein threw for 184 yards and a touchdown against the Longhorns and rushed for another 103 yards and two scores. On the season, Klein has thrown for 2,490 yards and 15 touchdowns while rushing for 890 yards and 22 touchdowns en route to a conference championship and a trip to the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. Other finalists for the Heisman include Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, who set the SEC mark for all-purpose yards as a freshman this season, andNotre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, who has led the Fighting Irish to the BCS Championship game.

Kansas winless in Big 12
For the second consecutive season, the Kansas Jayhawks finished the year winless in conference play. With its loss to West Virginia on Saturday, Kansas finished the year 0-9 against Big 12 opponents and extended its conference losing streak to 21 games. The Jayhawks struggled to move the ball through the air all season and this was a major source of their ineptitude on offense. The play of junior running back James Sims was inspiring, however, as his 10 touchdowns led the team and his 1,013 yards on the ground were good for second in the Big 12.

Printed on Tuesday, December 4, 2012 as: Sooners fall out of BCS after NIU crashes party