World Golf Championship

SHANGHAI — PGA champion Keegan Bradley cares more about counting birdies than votes. He flew halfway around the world with the intention of winning a World Golf Championship, not any kind of an award.

Whatever the case, he sure made this PGA Tour player of the year discussion a lot more interesting Thursday.

Bradley did most of his damage on the par 5s at Sheshan International with three birdies and an eagle, which carried him to a 7-under 65 and a two-shot lead after the one round of the HSBC Champions.

“A very rewarding round,” Bradley said.

Bo Van Pelt extended his awesome Asian adventure. Coming off a six-shot win in Malaysia last week, Van Pelt had 67 and was tied for second with the Swedish duo of Alexander Noren and Fredrik Jacobson.

The PGA Tour felt it should wait until after the HSBC Champions to send out its postseason awards ballot because this tournament counts as official if a PGA Tour member were to win. If there was one player considered a threat to Luke Donald as player of the year, it would be Bradley. Winning in Shanghai would give him a tour-leading three victories, including a major and a World Golf Championship.

Bradley only laughed when asked if his opening 65 was enough to make Donald nervous.

“Maybe,” he said. “You know, all I’m trying to do is win this golf tournament. I know there’s a lot on the line, and there’s some awards to be won. I’m sure Luke is not very interested in this tournament. I’m sure he’s sleeping. But I hope to keep playing well, and let those fall where they fall.”

Donald, the No. 1 player in the world, finished his PGA Tour season in style. He closed with a 64 to win Disney for his second win of the year, giving him the money title and Vardon Trophy for the lowest scoring average. However, he was kept from playing the HSBC Champions because his wife is expecting their second child any day.

The award is determined by the players, who suddenly are paying a lot more attention.

“There’s only two people in the race as far as I’m concerned — Luke and Keegan,” Adam Scott said. “If Keegan were to win this week, it’s probably a tough decision, but I would vote for Keegan. It’s a major, a WGC and a PGA Tour event in his rookie year. That’s going to be a better year. A major has to hold some weight, and then you add a World Golf Championship.”

“Winning the money title and scoring average is nice and an incredible achievement,” Scott said. “But winning tournaments is what it’s about. Keegan would have my vote.”

Nick Watney said he already has made up his mind. No matter who wins this week, he’s voting for Donald.

“I feel as though Luke has earned it,” Watney said.

Bradley isn’t too wrapped up in the discussion quite yet. He found satisfaction in being the only player in the 78-man field without a bogey. And while his length off the tee was an advantage, he made three birdies on the par 5s with a wedge in his hand. He also had another rookie moment when he found himself in awe of playing alongside Lee Westwood and Scott, even as he outplayed both of them.

“For me, every week I’m amazed at who I’m around,” Bradley said. “And to be in a group like that in this tournament, and to play like that on this course is very rewarding and it means a lot to me ... I know I say this a lot. But I feel like I have to pinch myself out here, because of what’s going on and just how much fun I’m having doing it.”

It’s already been a dream season for the 25-year-old rookie, and it might not be over just yet.

AKRON, Ohio — Adam Scott hit all the right shots Sunday in a round that was close to flawless and earned him his first World Golf Championship title.

He celebrated with a caddie who has won quite a few more.

Steve Williams, fired last month by Tiger Woods after a 12-year partnership, felt like a bigger winner when Scott rolled in one last birdie for a 5-under 65 and a four-shot victory in the Bridgestone Invitational.

It was Scott who hit the shots, such as a chip-in for birdie on the 12th and a birdie putt just inside 30 feet on the 14th that enabled him to pull away from 19-year-old Ryo Ishikawa over the final hour at Firestone.

Even so, Williams became part of the show this week, especially since Woods was playing for the first time in nearly three months. Williams took a jab at Woods in an interview off the 18th green by saying that of his 145 wins in his 33 years as a caddie, this WGC title with the affable Australian made it the “the greatest week of my caddying in my life.”

That would include 13 majors, including an unprecedented four in a row through the 2001 Masters.

Fans chanted Williams’ name as he walked toward the 18th green, and Williams smiled back. One fan shouted out, “How do you like him now, Tiger?”

Scott played the final 26 holes without a bogey, and he couldn’t afford to drop any shots.

He finished at 17-under 263 for the lowest winning score at Firestone since Woods won at 259 in 2000. Rickie Fowler and world No. 1 Luke Donald each had a 66 and tied for second.

Scott became the third Australian to win a world title, joining Geoff Ogilvy and Craig Parry. He won for the 18th time in his career and moved back into the top 10.

While his old boss was on the mend, Williams agreed to caddie for Scott at the U.S. Open, miffed that he had flown from New Zealand to America before Woods told him he would not be at Congressional. Williams worked for Scott again at the AT&T National, the tournament that benefits Woods’ foundation, and Woods said he fired him after the final round.

Woods said he told him face-to-face. Williams said Sunday that Woods fired him over the phone.

The theatrics took away from Scott’s big win.

He played so well he could have gone even lower except for missing two birdie putts inside 12 feet on the 16th and 17th holes.

“Today, I was on,” Scott said. “To win here at this place, a World Golf Championship, it’s huge.”