the U.S. Open

World Golf Hall of Fame announces newest members

By Matthew Adams

On Wednesday, the World Golf Hall of Fame announced that its 2015 class will consist of Englishwoman Laura Davies, Australian David Graham, American Mark O’Meara, and late course designer A.W. Tillinghast. 

This year’s process was different from previous years because many golf writers were eliminated from the process, relying on a 16-member voting panel  Members of this panel included Arnold Palmer and Gary Player, PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem and R&A Chief Peter Dawson and three selected golf writers. 

With these changes, the usual ceremonies around the week of the Players Championship did not occur due to the process being reevaluated.  A lot of outrage existed in 2013 when Fred Couples, only 1 major win, and Colin Montgomerie, no major victories, beat out Graham and O’Meara for the spots. 

Although the golf world is happier to see Graham finally make it into the Hall of Fame, the issue this year is that Ian Woosnam was left off.  Woosnam is a 29-time European Tour winner, was the world’s number 1 player from April of 1991 to March 1992.  During the streak, he went on to win the 1991 Masters. 

Yet as the golf world gripes about this issue, recognize that the process is getting better and enjoy the current celebration. 

Graham has been waiting a long time for this, and is more than deserving.  In his career, Graham finished his career with eight career PGA Tour Titles, five on the Champions Tour.  His biggest wins consist of the 1979 PGA Championship and the 1981 U.S. Open at Merion.  His performance is still viewed as a benchmark for tournament golf.   With these wins, Graham became the fourth Australian to win a major championship and the first to win the U.S. Open. 

O’Meara is most famously known for his run through the 1998 tour.  He finished with wins at the Masters and the Britsh Open Championship.  O’Meara also went on to claim the PGA Player and Tour Player of the Year Awards. 

Davies is less known compared to her counterparts, but her impact has been just as important in the LPGA Tour.  Within the golf world, Davies won the 1987 U.S. Women’s Open and named Golf Writers Association of America Female Player of the Year in 1994 and 1996. 

For British honors, Davies was named a Member of the British Empire in 1988 by Queen Elizabeth the II and Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2000, the highest award for a British citizen.  

Tillinghast has been recognized for his golf courses that he created throughout the United States in the early 20th century.  One of his famous sights includes Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, N.J., where Jack Nicklaus won 2 of his 4 U.S. Open’s and Phil Mickelson won the U.S. Open in 2005.    By Matthew Adams

Tillinghast has been recognized for his golf courses that he created throughout the United States in the early 20th century.  One of his famous sights includes Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, N.J., where Jack Nicklaus won 2 of his 4 U.S. Open’s and Phil Mickelson won the U.S. Open in 2005.    

These four members will be enshrined on July 13, 2015 at St. Andrews instead of the World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine, Fl.

NEW YORK — On Saturday, a dark funnel descended in Queens, flooding nearby roads, mangling power lines and later forcing more than 20,000 spectators to be evacuated from the U.S. Open tennis tournament a few miles away.

It took only a few minutes for the 70-mph wind and roaring water to rip through walls and lift roofs off homes, while sending beach chairs flying and lifting kayaks out of the water.

Saturday’s second tornado hit Brooklyn’s Canarsie neighborhood, whipping up winds of 110 miles per hour over a half mile, snapping trees and house awnings and breaking windows.

On Sunday, power had been restored for the more than 1,100 customers in New York who had lost it.

No deaths or injuries were reported as a result of the twisters, coming from a storm system that brought damaging winds from Pennsylvania to upstate New York.

Women's Tennis Preview

It’s been two years since junior Aeriel Ellis won the ITA Texas Regional Championship, and Texas is poised to win it’s first ITA title this season in Fort Worth. The tournament will feature every NCAA Division I team in Texas, competing in singles and doubles.

The Longhorns will not just be competing to win a tournament, but more importantly to advance to the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championship in New York next month. Playing at the site of the U.S. Open will give Texas more motivation, especially for the freshmen aiming to prove their talent.

“I’m pleased with the progress our freshmen have made,” said head coach Patty Fendick-McCain. “They have good work habits, and we hope to see them reap the benefits.”

Building on success at the Longhorn and Rice Invitational, along with Ellis’ singles win at her seventh national championship, Texas has set the stage for a very possible win this weekend.

The 111th edition of the U.S. Open began play Thursday at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md. The second of the four major golf tournaments, the Open showcases many of the world’s top golfers. The par-71 course is difficult, and the contestants will be put to the test throughout the weekend.

As has been a growing trend in the golf world for as long as anyone can remember, the leaderboard after day one is decidedly international. There are fewer top-flight golfers in the U.S. than there are around the world, and it shows in tournaments like the Open. When the world’s best golfers get together in one place, the international players flex their collective muscles and prove why they are the best, year in and year out. The top 10 as of now only includes two Americans. Whereas the United States perennially dominates sports such as basketball and baseball, golf is more influenced by the international game. Last year’s U.S. Open champion, Graeme McDowell, is from Northern Ireland himself.

It makes sense that a sport originating overseas is still dominated by international players, but it forces us Americans to take a back seat in a sport for once. Americans are so used to dominating and basically owning anything that we participate in that it comes as a bit of a shock that we are not in control of the golfing realm.

Nonetheless, after day one the leaders are as follows: Rory McIlroy leads the field at six-under, reigning Masters champion Charl Schwartzel is three strokes behind at three-under, and South Korean Y.E. Yang is also tied for second at three-under. The lone American in the top five is Texas native Ryan Palmer at two-under. Palmer is also a graduate of Texas A&M. Spaniard Sergio Garcia is tied for fourth at two-under with Louis Oosthuizen as well. There are 12 golfers tied for 10th place, including Graeme McDowell, Stewart Cink, and Davis Love III.

Play will resume Friday morning and come to conclusion Sunday afternoon.