the Davis Cup

After helping Denmark advance to the Davis Cup, two-time All-American senior Søren Hess-Olesen has returned to Texas and will head to Napa Valley, California, to compete in the Napa Valley Tennis Classic.

Fellow seniors Lloyd Glasspool and Jacoby Lewis and junior Nick Naumann will join the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year in California while other Longhorns will head to Lafayette, Louisiana, to compete in the Cajun Tennis Classic.

Hess-Olesen, Glasspool and Naumann were listed in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association preseason rankings at No. 5, No. 31 and No. 113.

The Napa Valley Tennis Classic features American top junior tennis players competing against some of the country’s top collegiate players. Following three rounds of pool play, the pool winners will compete in a single-elimination, 10-point tiebreak tournament. The winner of the tournament will receive a wildcard entry into a USTA Pro Circuit event that is yet to be determined.

Representing eighth-ranked Texas in Louisiana are senior Adrien Berkowicz, sophomore George Goldhoff, junior Michael Riechmann, who recently transferred from
Brown University, and freshman John Mee.

Goldhoff ranked No. 56 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association preseason rankings, and Berkowicz made his debut as No. 106 in the rankings. 

Eight teams will be represented at the Cajun Tennis Classic, including fellow Big 12 teams Oklahoma State University and Texas Christian University, as well as ninth-ranked Georgia. 

Play begins Thursday at 9 a.m. and runs through Sunday.

United States’ Mike Bryan, left, and doubles partner Bob Bryan celebrate after beating Spain’s Fernando Verdasco and Marcel Granollers 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 at the Davis Cup quarterfinal tennis match Saturday.

American tennis fans walked away Sunday afternoon disappointed that their nation lost the Davis Cup tie to Spain 3-1.
But thanks to Mike and Bob Bryan, they at least got their money’s worth.

The most successful doubles pair in U.S. Davis Cup history took the Erwin Center by storm Saturday afternoon, turning a match against Spain into the tennis equivalent of a rock concert.

A flying chest bump was the exclamation point of the Bryan Brothers’ 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 win over Fernando Verdasco and Marcel Granollers in four sets, the lone win for the Americans this weekend.

The outcome of the match was never really in doubt — after all, Verdasco and Granollers had never even played a doubles match together — but the Bryans took a set to warm up.

“We were pretty jacked up,” said Mike.

Added older brother Bob: “With a best-of-three set match, you have a little more time to boogey-woogey. We had a lot of looks in the first.”

The match-up never favored Spain. With Feliciano Lopez scratching after a tiring Friday match against Mardy Fish, captain Albert Costa turned to Granollers, who was only on the team as Rafael Nadal’s replacement. And Verdasco, while an accomplished singles player, isn’t much of a doubles guy — ranked No. 398 in the world.

So they didn’t have a chance against the Bryans, identical twins who have spent much of their lives together. The first set went to Spain, and that was it. The combination of Bob’s serve and Mike’s return game proved devastating, and the two just got better as the match went on.

“We were pretty stingy on our serve,” Mike said. “We were pretty confident up the break. Had a couple of crazy, long volleys.”

The highlight of the match was a play in the final set in which the twins both went up for the same overhead attempt, only to crash racquets. The ball still got over the net, and the crowd went wild.

“I think Bob hit it,” Mike said. “But I crushed his racquet.”

Throughout the match, opposite sides of the Erwin Center engaged in pre- and post-point chants, the most common of which was a “Bob! Mike!” cheer, similar to UT basketball games when one part of the arena yells “Texas!” and the other responds “Fight!”

The win renewed hope and drew the U.S. closer to Spain, 2-1. After the match, Costa expressed concern that it was enough to change the tide of the weekend’s momentum.

“I’m not feeling like we are the favorites,” he said.

Of course, Spain’s David Ferrer shot down any hopes America had at a comeback with his four-set victory over Mardy Fish on Sunday, making the Bryans’ win on Saturday the only positive happening of the quarterfinals.

“We love [the] Davis Cup, it’s a huge part of our career,” Bob said. “Some of our best memories have come from Davis Cup.”

Printed on 07/11/2011 as: Bryans put on show for United States: Doubles pair gives crowd something to cheer about during frustrating week

Spain’s team celebrates by tossing David Ferrer, who defeated Mardy Fish of the United States, 7-5, 7-6 (3), 5-7, 7-6 (5) during a Davis Cup tennis quarterfinal match Sunday. Spain won 3-1.

David Ferrer lost just one set all weekend. America had no chance.

The Spaniard embarrassed Austinite Andy Roddick on Friday in straight sets, then eliminated Mardy Fish and Team USA on Sunday, winning 7-5, 7-6 (3), 5-7, 7-6 (5) to give Spain a final 3-1 win over the U.S. in the Davis Cup quarterfinals.

Ferrer, the No. 6 player in the world, flummoxed Fish time and time again. He was a human backboard, sitting on the far end of the court and returning everything hit his way.

“He’s very good from the baseline,” Fish said after the match. “He’s one of the best movers in the world. That’s how he makes his living.”

It looked as if Ferrer would make it a short afternoon for the announced 16,000 in attendance at the Frank Erwin Center, making quick work of Fish in the first two sets. But the American battled back to win the third set 7-5 and put some pressure on Ferrer.

“There was a lot of tension in the match,” Ferrer said.

Fish had his chances. He led 5-3 in the first set before committing 20 unforced errors — his backhand shot seemed magnetically drawn to the net — and allowing Ferrer to break his serve twice. He lost the second set on a tiebreaker, 7-3. The fourth could have gone Fish’s way too, but Ferrer outlasted him on another tiebreaker.

“He just kind of came up with one or two better shots than I did,” Fish said.

Considering how successful Ferrer has been in his career slapping shots back and forth from the baseline, Fish and U.S. Captain Jim Courier decided to turn to a more aggressive approach in the final sets, which yielded better results.

“We wanted to put a lot of pressure on him [at the net],” Fish said. “I wanted to utilize my volleys a little bit, try to strike through the court low and hard.”

The change managed to frustrate Ferrer a bit — he was issued a warning after crushing a ball into the mezzanine — but it wasn’t enough.

“There’s a reason he’s No. 6 in the world,” Fish said.

That’s a startling fact for the other national powers in men’s tennis, because Ferrer isn’t even the best singles player in Spain. That honor belongs to the world’s No. 2, Rafael Nadal, who was a late Davis Cup scratch.

“Spain is probably the deepest nation out there in men’s tennis. That’s a great advantage to have, no doubt about it,” Courier said.

The Americans had advantages as well. Fish and Roddick, the No. 8 and No. 10 players in the world, respectively, are no scrubs. And the pro-USA crowd at the Erwin Center was louder than it is for most basketball games.

“The crowd was incredible,” Fish said. “It’s the loudest Davis Cup I’ve ever been a part of.”
Had Fish beaten Ferrer, Roddick would have played Feliciano Lopez (who beat Fish in Friday’s first match) in the decisive rubber match.

“I badly wanted to get to the point where we could get Andy out there playing for the fifth match,” Fish said. “That’s the hardest part for me, knowing how much he wanted the Davis Cup to be here in Austin. It would have been a great ending for the tie here, him playing in front of his home fans.”

It didn’t happen. David Ferrer was just too good.

Printed on 07/11/2011 as: Davis Cup Defeat

Mardy Fish is the first singles competitor to be paired up for the Davis Cup. Fish, ranked No.8 in the world, is set to play against Spain’s Feliciano Lopez, No.31, on Friday.

Photo Credit: Ryan Edwards | Daily Texan Staff

Massive American and Spanish flags framed Austin band Asleep at the Wheel as they opened the Davis Cup's draw ceremony and belted “Happy Trails” with a country twang Thursday.

This year is the first time Austin hosts the 111-year-old tournament. Ticket sale revenue from the draw ceremony, which sold out in less than two weeks, went to relief efforts for tornado-ravaged Joplin, Mo.

The American and Spanish tennis teams will play five sold-out matches at the Frank Erwin Center from July 8-10. The draw ceremony determined and announced the match-ups for the weekend.

More than 700 people attended the draw ceremony, said Keri-Dawn Solner, a private events coordinator for Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater, where the event was held.

The United States Tennis Association created more opportunities for public participation this year by including open practices and the music at the draw ceremony.

“Usually it’s just a press event, but for the first time they opened it up to the public,” Solner said. “They turned it into more of a lunchtime musical performance.”

Ray Benson, lead singer for Asleep at the Wheel who plays tennis recreationally, drew the names of the tennis players to determine this weekend’s match-ups.

Midland business owner Jeremy Jones brought his family to see the Davis Cup and the draw ceremony.

“It gave a great taste of Texas — the whole music vibe with tennis,” Jones said. “They really did a good job of making those worlds come together.”

Local disc jockey Bobby Bones hosted the draw and brought Austinite Andy Roddick’s second grade teacher on stage. Karon Wheeless, the retired teacher, said even in elementary school Roddick had an interest in tennis that could be seen in the classroom.

“I did find out that the best place for Andy was in the back because he could get up and practice his back swing,” Wheeless said.

American Team Captain Jim Courier said fans have shown a great deal of energy that he expects to see at the matches.

“You should treat it a little bit like a college football team — in between the points,” Courier said. “We’d like you to clap a little louder for the American team.”

According to the Austin Sports Commission, the Davis Cup is expected to bring in $5 million in revenue to the city. The three day tournament between US and Spain is already sold out despite Rafael Nadal’s absence.

The hum of the air conditioner buzzed over the sound of tennis balls thwacking against the floor of the Frank Erwin Center. Wednesday afternoon, top tennis players from Spain and the U.S. practiced in the nearly empty arena, which will host 16,200 people each day this weekend for the Davis Cup.

The Davis Cup is an international pro-tennis team competition. The sold out event is July 8 to July 10. The Davis Cup Draw Ceremony will feature local band Asleep at the Wheel and the two teams at the Moody Theater at 12 p.m. today.

This will be the first time USA player Andy Roddick competes in a professional event in Austin, his current home. The No. 10 world ranked tennis player vied for the Davis Cup to be brought to Austin.

The United States Tennis Association is putting on the event. Jeff Ryan, senior director of team events for the association, looked into Austin serving as the home for the tournament. It takes eight days to set up the court, conduct the practices and competitions and strike the court from the center, Ryan said.

“Andy Roddick has been telling us Austin would be a great city,” Ryan said. “For the first time in a while the Frank Erwin Center was available.”

Spain’s Rafael Nadal was the world’s No. 1 ranked tennis player until an upset at Wimbledon last week. He was expected to play in this weekend’s tournament, but he recently changed his mind because of a foot injury.

“People in this sport know that it’s a country against country competition — not individual against individual,” Ryan said. “There would have been far bigger disappointment levels if Andy couldn’t have played.”

The event is expected to bring in $5 million in revenue to the city, according to the Austin Sports Commission at the Austin Convention Center and Visitor’s Bureau.

The court is an acrylic hard court made in a warehouse and then assembled in square sections on the floor of the center, which normally hosts the UT basketball teams and events such as concerts. The Spanish team is used to clay courts which are categorized as a different speed than acrylic courts. The team protested the speed of the floor, but officials denied the claim after investigation.

Tito Moreinas, a tennis player and junior at Winston Churchill High School in San Antonio, is one of four ball boys chosen for the tournament.

“I play a lot of tennis, so I’ve always wanted to see matches close up, and I think that’s the closest you can get being a ball boy,” Moreiras said.

Printed on 07/07/2011 as: Frank Erwin Center to host Davis Cup