Students arrested protesting sweatshop-made UT clothing

• A crowd gathers outside the North entrance to the Tower as UTPD officers load members of the Make UT Sweatshop-Free Coalition into police vans. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• Assistant dean of students Mary Mercatoris warns protestors that if they continue to be disruptive they will be arrested. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• A group of protestors are prevented from joining the sit-in by members of UTPD. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Dean of Students Soncia Reagins-Lilly warns students that if they are unwilling to leave the premises by 5 p.m., they will be arrested. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• UTPD Officer David Sorrell attempts to clear a path through members of the Make UT Sweatshop-Free Coalition in the lobby of the President’s Office Wednesday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• UT spokesman Gary Susswein speaks with a reporter about the protestors’ claims of substandard conditions in factories producing UT apparel. Susswein said that according to President Powers the case is closed. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• Members of the Make UT Sweatshop-Free Coalition await arrest during a sit-in outside President Powers’ office Wednesday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• Members of the Make UT Sweatshop Free Coalition, left, talk with a group of protestors, below, who came to show solidarity for the group’s sit-in outside President Powers’ office Wednesday afternoon but were blocked by UTPD. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• Members of the Make UT Sweatshop-Free Coalition are handcuffed with zip-ties, frisked, and loaded into a police van outside the Tower  Wednesday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Thomas Allison)

• Ultiminio Vega protests in support of the Make UT Sweatshop-Free Coalition in the third floor stairwell of the Main Building Wednesday afternoon. Vega was part of a larger group of students who began rallying on the West Mall, but later moved inside the stairwell to support the group of students who had entered President Powers’ office earlier in the day. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Protestors sit in the stairwell of the Tower to show solidarity with the Make UT Sweatshop-Free Coalition’s sit-in outside President Powers’ office. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

«
»