Holiday Bowl 2011

• Texas quarterback David Ash [14] heads to the endzone after catching a pass from Jaxon Shipley in the second quarter, putting the Longhorns up 7-3. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• David Ash celebrates after scoring on a touchdown reception. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Kenny Vaccaro [4] had three tackles and one sack during the game, the sack coming after he hurdled a Cal player. He announced via Twitter that he will be returning next season. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Texas running back Cody Johnson [2] fights his way into the endzone in the fourth quarter of the Holiday Bowl, Johnson’s last game as a Longhorn. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Texas players celebrate the 21-10 victory of California. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Texas linebacker Keenan Robinson [1] was named the Holiday Bowl defensive Most Valuable Player. Robinson had eight tackles, two for a loss, in helping limit the Golden Bears to seven yards rushing. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

•  University of Texas president Bill Powers congratulates Mack Brown on the victory, Brown’s third Holiday Bowl triumph. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Texas’ victory in the Holiday Bowl was the programs third victory in five attempts, the last success coming in 2007 against Arizona State. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Texas players await the start of the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.  (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• For the Longhorns, the starting quarterback was not named until just two hours before kickoff. David Ash had the start in front of Case McCoy [6]. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Navy Seals parachuters dropped in from above as part of pre-game festivities. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Cal wide receiver Marvin Jones (1) dives for a loose ball in the first quarter of the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl in San Diego, California on Wednesday, December 28, 2011. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)

• Cal quarterback Zach Maynard [15] looks for open receivers during the first half.  Maynard was sacked six times and threw an interception in the loss.  (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Texas wide receiver Jaxon Shipley attempts a catch in the first half. Shipley was limited, gaining only 14 yards on four catches, but tied the Texas true freshman record for touchdown passes (3) when he connected with quarterback David Ash on a trick play. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Texas corner Quandre Diggs [28] intercepts a pass in the first quarter, one of five turnovers committed by The Golden Bears. (Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart)

• Texas tight end Blaine Irby (19) is tackled during the second quarter of the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl. His 30 yard catch set up David Ash’s touchdown reception on the next play. (Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon)