176th Texas Independence Day

• Two dancers from Austin High School’s Ballet Folklórico share a dance while other members wait to join them inside the Capitol Friday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• Elizabeth Glidden, left, and Charles M. Yates, president of the board of directors for Celebrate Texas and a Texas Army reenactment member, watch dancers at the Texas Independence celebration at the Capitol Friday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• A security officer at the Capitol watches the Texas Independence Day celebration from the highest story above the performances Friday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• SPJST, a Czech fraternal organization, dances inside the Capitol in celebration of Texas’ 176th Independence Day Friday afternoon. Various organizations put on cultural performances such as Folklorico dancing, fiddlers, and readings of Alamo letters to reflect on the history of Texas. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• Children watch the closing of the Texas Independence Day celebration at the Capitol Friday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• A participant of the Capitol 5k passes East 8th Street as she runs down Congress Avenue Saturday morning. (Photo Credit: Zachary Strain)

• Members of Alpha Phi Omaga run the Texas flag up Congress Avenue during the Texas Independence Parade, Saturday morning. (Photo Credit: Zachary Strain)

• Parade-goers watch as flags carried by the Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 59 pass by during the Texas Independence Parade. (Photo Credit: Zachary Strain)

• Alex Mickan, 12, rides a longhorn, Route 66, up Congress Avenue Saturday morning as part of the Texas Independence Parade. (Photo Credit: Zachary Strain)

• Adam Ramien, left, carries the Battle of Goliad flag at south end of the Capitol grounds during the Texas Independence Parade, Saturday morning. (Photo Credit: Zachary Strain)

• Students from The Texas School of the Deaf signed a song at the opening ceremonies of the 176th Texas Independence Day celebration at the Capitol Friday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• Horace P. Williams, president of the Company A 9th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers, looks around during performances at the Capitol Friday afternoon. Buffalo Soldiers is a reenactment group that dresses up in authentic replica uniforms. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

• Women from Austin High School’s Ballet Folklórico dance group wait to go on for their performance at the Capitol Friday afternoon. (Photo Credit: Marisa Vasquez)

«
»