Economics junior Ryan Camarillo is a member of the Texas Running Club. He was a member of the men’s track team at UT-Tyler and hopes to walk on to the UT track and field team.
Photo Credit: Rachel Zein | Daily Texan Staff

Ryan Camarillo, economics junior and San Antonio native, never expected to be running competitively, but when a middle school coach asked him to try out for the track team, he decided to give it a shot. So far, it has proved to be a decision worthwhile, as he is now in his eighth year of competitive running.

Originally, Camarillo agreed to try out for the club running team for the satisfaction he received from running.

“Seeing how hard I can push myself mentally and physically and the runner’s high you get afterwards were some of the reasons that pulled me into running early on,” Camarillo said.

Camarillo, who also ran for UT-Tyler’s men’s track team before transferring to UT-Austin for his sophomore year, has made a big impact on the growth of the Texas Running Club.

“Through my two-and-a-half years with the team, our numbers have definitely expanded, bringing in both talent and speed,” Texas
Running Club President Sarah Escobedo said. “With more numbers, we have also become closer with one another, not just as teammates but as friends and roommates as well.”

Over the years, his love for running has evolved, becoming less of a competitive endeavor and more of a social outlet.

“Joining Texas Running Club really showed me running competitively isn’t the most important thing about running, but the amazing friendships you make through the club,” Camarillo said.

While Camarillo enjoys the fun, friendly environment of the Texas Running Club, his preparation habits for meets ultimately show that he takes this sport and its responsibilities very seriously.

“I like to get to the meet at least two hours early to check things out, find a place to lie down and prep for my warm-up,” Camarillo said. “When I step onto the starting line, I just tell myself to stay focused and run my race.”

Camarillo said he is focused on improving as a runner and makes sure to keep track of his progress.

“The main event I run is the 800-meter run,” Camarillo said. “This year, I was fifth in my heat with a time of 1:59 while being boxed in, so I’m hopeful I can improve on this mark in races to come this summer. Right now, I’m focusing on just trying to run fast, trying to get my 800-meter time under 1:55.”

Although trimming his time is currently one of his more important goals, Camarillo also has aspirations to try to become a member of the Texas track and field team.

“Next season, if I can cut my time, I would like to try to walk-on here on the UT track team,” Camarillo said.

Photo Credit: Albert Lee | Daily Texan Staff

This Sunday, 18,000 runners will participate in the 24th annual Austin Marathon — a 26.2-mile footrace around the city — in which some will experience cramps, vomiting and loss of bladder control. 

The unprepared may even suffer more serious consequences.

An injury caused by one half-marathon can put an athlete out for over a year, but these injuries are often preventable. 

“A lot of people have bad notions when it comes to marathons,” said Kyle Higdon, Texas Running Club coach and aerospace engineering graduate student. “Runners will always talk about their injuries, their knees. But, if you train correctly, running is strengthening your muscles and joints.” The benefits of running far outweigh the injuries.”

About half of all runners injure themselves over the course of a year. The knee is the area most at risk for a running injury in all ages and sexes, and the most common knee injury is patellofemoral pain syndrome — sometimes referred to as runner’s knee. 

While runner’s knee is the most common injury, stress fractures are rare and have more serious consequences. Stress fractures are tiny, painful cracks in the bone that account for nearly 15 percent of all running injuries. If an athlete continues to run through the pain, the crack could widen until it becomes a serious fracture in the bone. If this injury happens in the top of the femur — the large bone to which the thigh muscle is attached — a hip replacement may be necessary. 

Robin Merket, a sports medicine doctor at University Health Services, recommends that athletes start training with a run-and-walk program and not increase mileage by more than 10 percent a week.  

“It’s best — especially if you haven’t been a runner — to start very slowly,” Merket said. “I can’t tell you how many college students come in after the marathon and they’ve [only] trained for maybe two weeks.” 

External factors, such as inappropriate running shoes, often lead to greater injury risk. Each foot falls a different way; runners must find shoes that match their gait. Employees at specialty running stores are trained to find the right shoe for every foot.Depending on the quality of the shoe, athletes should switch out their running shoes every 350–500 miles. 

There are certain precautions athletes can take to prime their bodies for a smooth running experience. Recent research indicates dynamic, movement-oriented warm-ups, such as lunges, high knee kicks or jogging, are more effective than stretching in place. 

From experienced marathoners to running newbies, proper preparation and technique are the best ways to prevent injuries at Sunday’s marathon.

Philip Wood, a 22-year-old former distance runner on the Texas track and field team, was killed early Sunday morning in a hit-and-run crash.

Originally from Yardley, Penn., Wood served as a member of the Longhorns’ track and field team from 2009 to 2010 and from 2011 to 2012. Wood competed in several meets over his tenure, running predominantly the 5,000 meter and the mile.

A car struck Woods around 2:17 a.m. Sunday while crossing MoPac. The vehicle was not at the scene when police arrived soon after.

Wood came to Texas as a strong distance recruit. He was an AAU National Cross Country Champion at his Pennsylvania high school and placed third at the AAU Junior Olympics. After redshirting for a year, Wood competed in indoor and outdoor track and field, along with cross country, in the 2010-2011 season.

Senior Marielle Hall added another first-place finish to her collection this weekend at the 2013 South Central Regional, defending her individual title from 2012. 

“Marielle stepped it up again today,” assistant coach Brad Herbster said. “She’s really buying into the idea that she’s one of the best in the country.” 

From the crack of the starting pistol to the end of the race, Hall sustained a comfortable lead, finishing in 19:40.7, 24 seconds ahead of the next closest runner. 

“It’s exciting to see a girl like Marielle, who works so hard, be able to win these races,” Herbster said. “Marielle does everything by the book. She’s consistent, and consistency in this sport is king, and she really proved her confidence today.”

The next Texas runner to cross the line was senior Megan Siebert, who finished in 15th place.

The rest of the women’s team did not fare so well, finishing in fourth place overall and failing to qualify for the NCAA Championships, which will take place in Terre Haute, Ind., on Saturday.

Junior All-American Craig Lutz was always the best runner on his high school team, but when he arrived at Texas, he quickly realized that his teammates and the competition were just as good as him. 

“I jumped into a program like Texas where I was no longer number one,” Lutz said. “From day one, it was always, you have to work your way through the woodwork and work with the team. But your individual goals are still in front of you.”

Lutz, who was twice named Gatorade Runner of the Year in Texas and was selected to the World Junior Cross Country team in high school, hasn’t been fazed by the competition. As a freshman, Lutz finished 33rd in the NCAA Championships, which earned him All-American honors. He also placed 13th at the Big 12 Outdoor Track Championships, which earned him the Freshman of the Year award. 

“When you achieve that [All-American honors] especially at the University of Texasb you are representing the state itself,” Lutz said. “The men’s cross country and track teams have had a lot of individual success over the years, it’s nice to know that I’m a part of that success.” 

At the start of his sophomore year, Lutz picked up where he had left off, participating in five cross country events and qualifying for nationals. But during nationals, Lutz suffered a leg injury which forced him to stop running. 

“It’s pretty hard to wear the burnt orange and drop out like that,” Lutz said. “It was definitely a shock.”

Pushing through the injury helped Lutz learn he could push through challenges. This helped Lutz during his sophomore outdoor track season where he finished third in the 10,000-meter race at the NCAA Championships and earned his second All-American honor and his first in outdoor track. Lutz’s third place finish helped Texas to a sixth-place finish at the NCAA Championships. 

“The hard work and dedication got me to where I was in outdoor,” said Lutz. “Sometimes you need to go through those hardships to help you bounce back.”

Now in his junior year, Lutz’s goal is to win an individual championship but his ultimate goal is to help Texas win the Big 12 conference title and ultimately a national championship. 

In his first cross country event this season, he finished in first place and looks to continue performing well when Texas competes at the Wisconsin Adidas
Invitational on Saturday.

Two rookie running backs you can expect to put up big fantasy numbers in 2013

Here are two rookie running backs whom I believe will put up huge numbers next fall:

1. Eddie Lacy, Green Bay Packers

The Packers drafted Eddie Lacy late in the second round, which is much later than most experts had projected he would be selected. Nonetheless, this was an excellent pick by the Packers, who filled a serious need in the running back position by drafting Lacy. He is a downhill runner who can break tackles and punch the ball into the end zone at the goal line. At 5 feet 11 inches and 231 pounds, Lacy can still switch gears and pick up speed quickly in the open field, so he will be a load for even the best NFL defenders to take down. Lacy may not be a huge big-play threat in the NFL, but he is an every-down back that can carry the ball 20 times a game. The Packers will most likely use him as their red zone back as well, so he will surely have many opportunities to put up big fantasy numbers.

2. Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers

Le'Veon Bell was a mid-second round selection for the Steelers, and just like the Packers selecting Lacy, this pick helped fill a serious need for the Pittsburgh team. Bell is a big back, listed at 6 feet 2 inches and around 240 pounds, and he fits the Steelers' running back brand perfectly. With the departure of Rashard Mendenhall, Bell should see immediate playing time, which means quality opportunities to shake the NFL learning curve early on and start producing. If Bell can learn to use his size and become more of a downhill runner, fantasy owners can expect him to rack up goal line and red zone touchdowns and put up monster fantasy numbers. If the Steelers use him the right way he will definitely produce some big stats for a rookie.

Both of these guys are big backs that may not produce a huge amount of rushing yards, but like I mentioned above, they will both get a number of opportunities to score touch downs at the goal line, which in the end accounts for the most fantasy points. In addition, I believe these two players have more fantasy potential than other running backs selected in the draft because they fell to the right teams — teams that are in desperate need of production in the running game. 

A runner's perspective on the Boston marathon

To the rest of the world, runners are crazy. We wake up at 5 a.m. every morning, risking shin splints, nasty falls, back problems, IT band syndrome, pulled muscles and stress fractures. And for what? To continue our hobby, which non-runners liken to torture.

The media portrays running as glamorous, filmed in slow motion: muscular men smiling at the camera alongside tall women with long hair that flows behind them in the wind.

Running is nothing like that.

It’s sweaty, and painful. A constant conflict where the cramp in your stomach, the lack of breath in your chest and the weight of your legs fight against your willpower and dignity, which won’t let you quit even when everything else begs you to stop.

Why do we do it? We love it. How is that even possible? If you don't understand, then you probably can't. Nobody can. Except for others like us.

When we run past each other in the mornings, we’re exchanging more than just polite greetings between strangers. The wave-and-nod is a sign of mutual respect because we know exactly what the other person had to sacrifice to be right there on the sidewalk moving at a seven thirty pace past us.

In this religion we call running, races are holy days, where we hope that the gods of running will grace us with good weather and a personal record. Like druggies, we start small with mile runs leading into 5Ks, 10Ks, and eventually work our way up to harder stuff like half-marathons and marathons, which are seemingly never-ending stretches of agony, that test both your physical and mental endurance.

If you happen to be a man who finishes the 26.2 miles in under 3 hours and 5 minutes, or a woman who makes it in under 3 hours and 35 minutes, you qualify for a long distance runner’s dream: running in the Boston Marathon.

And, for those lucky few who achieve that, it's among the very best days of their lives.

Unless somebody decides that it shouldn't be and all the ice baths, tempo runs, foam rollers, bloody nipples and blisters that led up to the event aren’t as important as hurting and killing wonderful people.

And I know they were wonderful people. They were runners.

If I had seen them on my daily route, I would have said, “Good morning,” and they would have smiled and said it right back to me. And then we would continue on our separate paths, enjoying the serenity of a quiet city that can only exist while everybody else is still asleep.

Photo Credit: The Associated Press

UPDATE 5:21 p.m. BOSTON (AP) — Two bombs exploded in the packed streets near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing two people and injuring more than 80 in a terrifying scene of shattered glass, billowing smoke, bloodstained pavement and severed limbs, authorities said.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said two other explosive devices were found near the end of the 26.2-mile course.

At the White House, President Barack Obama vowed that those responsible will "feel the full weight of justice."

There was no word on the motive or who may have launched the attack, and police said no suspect was in custody. Authorities in Washington said there was no immediate claim of responsibility.

"They just started bringing people in with no limbs," said runner Tim Davey, of Richmond, Va. He said he and his wife, Lisa, tried to keep their children's eyes shielded from the gruesome scene inside a medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners, but "they saw a lot."

"They just kept filling up with more and more casualties," Lisa Davey said. "Most everybody was conscious. They were very dazed."

The twin blasts at the race took place almost simultaneously and about 100 yards apart, tearing limbs off numerous people, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet, shattering windows and sending smoke rising over the street.

Some 23,000 runners took part in the race, one of the world's oldest and most prestigious marathons. One of Boston's biggest annual events, the race winds up near Copley Square, not far from the landmark Prudential Center and the Boston Public Library. It is held on Patriots Day, which commemorates the first battles of the American Revolution, at Concord and Lexington in 1775.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis asked people to stay indoors or go back to their hotel rooms and avoid crowds as bomb squads methodically checked parcels and bags left along the race route. He said investigators didn't know whether the bombs were planted in mailboxes or trash cans.

He said authorities had received "no specific intelligence that anything was going to happen" at the race.

The Federal Aviation Administration barred low-flying aircraft from within 3.5 miles of the site.

Obama was briefed on the explosions by Homeland Security adviser Lisa Monaco. Obama also told Mayor Tom Menino and Gov. Deval Patrick that his administration would provide whatever support was needed, the White House said.

"We still don't know who did this or why," Obama said, adding, "Make no mistake: We will get to the bottom of this."

A few miles away from the finish line and around the same time, a fire broke out at the John F. Kennedy Library. The police commissioner said it may have been caused by an incendiary device but didn't appear to be related to the bombings.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims.

About four hours into the race and two hours after the men's winner crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

By that point, more than 17,000 of the runners had finished the race, but thousands of others were farther back along the course.

The Boston Police Department said two people were killed. Hospitals reported at least 82 injured, at least eight of them critically.

A senior U.S. intelligence official said the two other explosive devices found nearby were being dismantled. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

A woman who was a few feet from the second bomb, Brighid Wall, 35, of Duxbury, said that when it exploded, runners and spectators froze, unsure of what to do. Her husband threw their children to the ground, lay on top of them and another man lay on top of them and said, "Don't get up, don't get up."

After a minute or so without another explosion, Wall said, she and her family headed to a Starbucks and out the back door through an alley. Around them, the windows off the bars and restaurants were blown out.

She said she saw six to eight people bleeding profusely, including one man who was kneeling, dazed, with blood coming down his head. Another person was on the ground covered in blood and not moving.

"My ears are zinging. Their ears are zinging. It was so forceful. It knocked us to the ground."

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Authorities went onto the course to carry away the injured while race stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site.

Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old state trooper from Smithfield, R.I., had just finished the race when they put the heat blanket wrap on him and he heard the blasts.

"I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor," he said. "We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. ... At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing."

Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route. Blood stained the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.

The Boston Marathon honored the victims of the Newtown, Conn., shooting with a special mile marker in Monday's race.

Boston Athletic Association president Joanne Flaminio previously said there was "special significance" to the fact that the race is 26.2 miles long and 26 people died at Sandy Hook Elementary school.


[Updated at 3:30 p.m. CST: 187 registered runners listed Austin, Texas, as their city of residence.]

Sanya Richards-Ross leads the way in the women’s 400-meter preliminary at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials in Eugene, Ore.

Photo Credit: The Associated Press

Former Longhorn runner and five-time NCAA Champion Sanya Richards-Ross is attempting to qualify for her third Olympics and redeem herself from what she considers a subpar performance in the 2008 Beijing Summer Games.

“I wanted to win for my country, my sponsors and myself,” said Richards-Ross. “I got so caught up in everything around the Olympic Games and what it would mean for my career to be an Olympic champion ... I made the emotions and circumstances get the better of me.”
Those emotions and circumstances still resulted in a bronze medal in the 400-meter race for Richards-Ross. Currently trying to qualify for both the 200- and 400-meter races, Sanya said she believes she is more mentally prepared to deal with the pressures of participating in the Olympics.

“I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that it’s something that I’ve actually had to work on, and I have learned through life experiences more how to deal with it,” Richards-Ross said.

Despite winning gold with Team USA in the 4x400-meter relay in Beijing, Richards-Ross didn’t win the race that mattered to her the most.

“I felt like it was a real missed opportunity. I won every single race that season and won every single race after that,” Richards-Ross said. “I was a little bitter about it and sour about it, but starting maybe in 2009, when I started competing again, it became pure motivation.”

That motivation drove her to win both the IAAF World Athlete of the Year and the Jesse Owens Award in 2009. Earning 11 All-American honors during her time at the University of Texas from 2003-04, Richards-Ross remains one of the best runners in the world.

She also credits her training to her ability to remain focused and deal with the various pressures in preparation for the 2012 games.

“I’m lucky, because I train in Waco, so there’s not much to do there but eat, sleep and train,” Richards-Ross said. “It’s a quiet place. There’s nobody there but myself, my coaches.”

Richards-Ross and her coaches have had to intensify training to help her reach her goal of making both the 200- and 400-meter teams.

“I’ve been training really, really hard. I know the speed is there, I know my endurance is there, so it’s just putting those two together in the 200,” Richards-Ross said. “I mean, it’s a no-brainer for me. The 400 comes first, so it’s really just icing on the cake for me.”

Brooks Marlow makes a tag on a Duke baserunner during the Longhorns’ 5-2 loss on Sunday. Marlow started at second base for Jordan Etier, who is serving a suspension.

Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon | Daily Texan Staff

For Brooks Marlow, one home run was a great way to start out his collegiate career, and two made it even better. But when the winningest coach in college baseball history is singing your praise, you're having a great day.

“That was the brightest spot of the day for me,” said Texas coach Augie Garrido, referencing Marlow's two homers in UT's season-opener against Duke.

“The unexpected play played a huge part in it. Where’d that come from? We hadn’t seen many home runs, so I didn’t think either one of them would go over the fence because nothing does,” he said.

Funny thing is Marlow wasn't even supposed to be the starter at second going into the season. The freshman is just filling in for the suspended Jordan Etier, who is out four games after an arrest in the fall for possession of marijuana.

But Marlow has certainly made a strong case for the starting spot when Etier comes back, or at least the opportunity to slide over to shortstop or DH.

Marlow started out his first game on Saturday afternoon against Duke in perhaps the worst way possible for a hitter, striking out swinging, but from there his day would only improve.

In his next at bat, Marlow connected on the fourth pitch and sent a screaming line drive out to right field that barely cleared the fence to sneak into the bullpen.

The next inning Marlow stepped to the plate with a runner on first and sent the ball out to right with a giant hack on an inside fastball in what looked like a replay of the homer the inning before.

“I expected a fastball in and, sure enough, he threw it,” Marlow said. “I got a good piece of bat on it and it carried over the fence. The second one, there was a runner on first so I had a job to do. I was just trying to put the barrel on the ball.”

For the Longhorns the home run is a rare thing — as a team they only hit 17 home runs all of last season — especially coming from a guy that is only 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds.

“That proves one thing — it isn't about size or how much you weight you can lift in the weight room,” Garrido said. “It's about making good contact and being aggressive at the plate and squaring up the ball.”

However, it wasn't all about the long ball for Marlow, and in the next game he played some traditional Texas small ball. In his first at bat, Marlow dropped a sac bunt to advance the runner to second. In the second inning, with a runner on third, Marlow did what the situation called for and hit a deep fly ball into left field to score the runner. Finally, in what could be his most impressive at bat of the game, the freshman worked a four-pitch walk, resisting the urge to swing against a pitcher that had been wild for much of the contest.

On Sunday Marlow's performance at the plate cooled off with the rest of his teammates in the 5-2 loss to Duke, but he still managed to go 1-4 including a couple of well-hit balls.

Printed on February 20, 2012 as: Marolow hits two homers in first game