MLB First-Year Player

Sam Stafford and Brandon Loy received the fanfare of being selected in the higher rounds of day two of this year’s MLB First-Year Player Draft, but there were other Longhorns who came off the board later Tuesday.

Senior pitcher Cole Green was chosen by the Cincinnati Reds in the ninth round. Relief pitcher Andrew McKirahan went to the Chicago Cubs in the 21st round, and senior first baseman and Austin Regional Most Outstanding Player Tant Shepherd was selected by the New York Mets in the 24th round.

Last year, Green was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the fourth round, but turned down a $300,000 signing bonus for the opportunity to stay in school. Monetarily, that decision looks like it might end up hurting Green, who probably will not get as high an offer this time. But he has repeatedly said all season long that he has no regrets about his decision to turn down big money for the chance to win a national championship. As a junior, Green went 11-2. This year, he is 7-3 with a higher ERA. However, most agree Green has improved in terms of mechanics — his strikeout numbers are higher, and opponents are hitting at a lower average against him. In the long term, Green projects as a back-of-the rotation pitcher or, most likely, a relief pitcher.

Though he didn't see much action this season, McKirahan went a little earlier than most would have projected. The junior left-hander is 3-0 with a 3.05 ERA and, if he signs, would bring pitching depth to an organization that needs all the help it can get.

Shepherd, who despite putting up good numbers and being an above-average defender at first base, has never been very high on many scouts’ boards. Last year, Shepherd was a 47th round selection, and he fell lower in this draft than he probably should have before the Mets picked him. He is the second Longhorn headed to the Big Apple in this year’s draft class (assuming Stafford signs with the Yankees).

The draft continues Wednesday with rounds 31-50. Cohl Walla, Jordan Etier and Kendal Carrillo are hopeful to hear their names called.

Junior pitcher Taylor Jungmann was selected No. 12 overall by the Milwaukee Brewers in Monday's MLB First-Year Player Draft. Jungmann, who would have one year left of college eligibility if he chose to stay in school, has until Aug. 15 to work out an agreement with the Brewers.

Photo Credit: Ryan Edwards | Daily Texan Staff

Hello, Wisconsin.

The Milwaukee Brewers made Texas pitcher Taylor Jungmann their first pick of the MLB First-Year Player Draft, selecting the right-handed junior with the No. 12 overall spot.

“Being drafted in the first round is a testament to what Taylor Jungmann is,” said Texas’ pitching coach Skip Johnson in a press release. “It says everything about his work ethic and the hard work he puts into pitching and how much he cares about baseball. We couldn’t be happier for him.”

Jungmann is the highest-selected Longhorn in the draft since center fielder Drew Stubbs went No. 8 overall to Cincinnati in 2006.

For his junior season, Jungmann is 13-1 with a 1.40 ERA — largely inflated after he gave up seven runs to Kent State on Saturday — and 119 strikeouts. The Brewers, apparently trying to bolster a pitching rotation that already includes Zack Greinke and Yovani Gallardo, spent the No. 15 pick on an arm as well, going with lefty Jed Bradley from Georgia Tech.

If Jungmann chooses to sign with the Brewers — all indications are that he will — he’ll have until August to work out the negotiations. If he declines, he would have one year of eligibility remaining at Texas.

The Longhorns also had two high school signees drafted in the first round. Dylan Bundy, a pitcher from Oklahoma, was taken No. 4 overall by the Baltimore Orioles, and Blake Swihart, a switch-hitting catcher from New Mexico, was chosen at No. 26 by the Boston Red Sox.

Texas fans shouldn’t hold their breath on these two guys. It’s all but a lock that Bundy will go, though he is reportedly asking for an absurd signing price — near $30 million — and Swihart might be unable to turn down the allure of playing for the Sox and whatever money Boston might throw at him.

Rounds 2-30 of the draft continue today, so expect Longhorns Brandon Loy, Sam Stafford, Cole Green, Tant Shepherd and Cohl Walla to be off the board by the end of the night.