chief of staff

In this podcast, Anthony Green and Madlin Mekelburg discuss the week in news including Student Government representatives calling for the removal of SG chief of staff Chris Jordan, criminal trespassing rates on the UT campus during winter months and Senate of College Council’s formation of The Transfer Student Ad-Hoc Committee. 

You can catch the podcast live every Friday at 3:30 p.m. on KVRX 91.7FM and online at kvrx.org 

In this week's editorial podcast, Associate Editors Noah M. Horwitz and Amanda Voeller discuss President Barack Obama's recent executive order regrading immigration, Leticia Van de Putte's announcement of her San Antonio mayoral campaign and impeachment articles Student Government drafted against its Chief of Staff Chris Jordan.

In a ruling Wednesday, the Student Government Judicial Court invalidated the external and internal appointments made by the new SG administration on April 29, stating that the SG executive board violated the organization's governing rules as they apply to disclosing applicant information.

The appointments, which were confirmed by the SG general assembly last month, will need to be reconfirmed when SG meets for the first time in the fall semester. According to SG Chief Justice Philip Wiseman, the executive board may nominate the same people to the internal and external positions, or choose new candidates for the positions.

The ruling said “should members of the executive branch choose to nominate future appointments for any internal or external positions, the Chief of Staff must make all documentation publicly available…”

Despite the lack of interview notes prior to the April 29 meeting, the assembly confirmed all internal and external positions except for the Texas Student Media Board of Operating Trustees.

The ruling was made after Andrew Wilson, outgoing Liberal Arts Council president, filed a petition for review regarding the process of nominating students to positions for Spirit and Traditions Council chair, Faculty Council Student Life Committee chair and any other position in which a nominee who was nominated to a position that was not their first choice.

The executive board addressed the concerns for the nomination of the three committees by deciding to leave the positions unfilled. However, Wilson still asked that the court consider all other positions.

According to Wilson, the process was not transparent because the executive board failed to publicly release interview questions, responses and additional notes of potential nominees.

“The only way to [be transparent] is by releasing notes from the interviews, which the chief of staff has failed to do,” Wilson said.

Despite a court ruling in early April asking the executive board to release all interview notes before the April 29 meeting, Chief of Staff Chris Jordan said the board decided not to do so in order to protect information that students disclosed in interviews.

According to the court’s opinion, these concerns “cannot overcome public interests of combating corruption and ensuring transparency…”

SG President Kori Rady said he stands by protecting the information in the interview notes, but hopes to increase communication with the assembly.

“There were some things that were pretty intimate during the interviews,” Rady said. “That was our concern and that was why the interview notes were not released prior to appointment.”

Rady said he hopes to work with the assembly to make sure privacy concerns are addressed while interviewing candidates.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry appointed Jeff Boyd, his chief of staff, to a vacated position on the Texas Supreme Court on Monday.

Boyd is Perry’s 11th appointment to the Supreme Court since he took office in 2000.

“His addition to the court will continue to protect the rule of law and further the tradition of defending the freedoms that Texans so vigorously uphold,” Perry stated in a press release Monday.

Boyd will replace Dale Wainwright, who resigned in September to practice law in the private sector. The Texas Senate will confirm or reject his appointment when it reconvenes in January.

Before Perry appointed Boyd chief of staff in October 2011, he served as general counsel to the governor’s office.

In April, Perry appointed Buddy Garcia to the Texas Railroad Commission after Garcia served as a commissioner on the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, a governor-appointed position. In June, Perry appointed Jeff Moseley to the Texas Transportation Commission. Perry previously appointed Mosely executive director of the Economic Development and Tourism Department for the Office of the Governor.

Boyd also served as deputy attorney general for civil litigation under Texas attorneys general Greg Abbott and John Cornyn. Cornyn is currently a U.S. Senator.

Boyd previously practiced law at Thompson & Knight, a Dallas-based law firm with international offices. James Cousar, an attorney who worked with Boyd at Thompson & Knight’s Austin office, said Boyd specialized in civil litigation involving business disputes and regulatory law involving state and federal regulation of businesses.

He said Boyd also has a consistent record of representing low-income clients while he served as president and a board member of Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, an organization that provides free legal advice and representation to low-income citizens.

“He is an individual with a strong social conscience and a strong sense of social justice,” Cousar said.

Printed on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 as: Perry names chief of staff to Supreme Court