Perry Minton

Bexar County DA office says no charges will be filed against Case McCoy, Jordan Hicks

No charges will be filed against junior quarterback Case McCoy or junior linebacker Jordan Hicks, who were accused of sexually assaulting a woman in San Antonio on Dec. 28, Catherine Babbitt, Bexar County chief assistant criminal district attorney, told The Daily Texan.

"Where it stands now, the San Antonio Police Department is not going to file a criminal case with our office nor is my office going to conduct any additional investigation," Babbit told the Texan on Tuesday.

Hicks and McCoy were suspended and sent home one day before Texas beat Oregon State in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29 for an undisclosed violation of team rules and reinstated to the team last Sunday. Hicks' attorney, Perry Minton, released a statement that day saying the "investigation is closed", but SAPD said its Special Victims Unit was "still reviewing the case."

"I don't know the fellow," Babbitt said of Minton's statement. "I don't know why he would say that."

Hicks missed the final 10 games last season and plans on applying for a medical redshirt, which would make him a junior again next season. McCoy, who started one game last year while backing up sophomore David Ash, will be a senior.

An attorney for junior linebacker Jordan Hicks stated that his client is denying the sexual assault allegations made against him, according to a press release issued Sunday.

“Mr. Hicks vehemently asserts that all conduct that occurred during the evening of the incident was consensual by everyone involved,” Perry Minton, an Austin-based attorney, said in the statement. “The allegation, if any, that a sexual assault occurred by anyone at anytime is completely false.”

An unidentified 21-year-old woman reported that two UT football players sexually assaulted her Friday morning between 2 a.m. and 2:40 a.m. in her San Antonio hotel room, according to statements and a police report issued that day by the San Antonio Police Department. As of Friday, San Antonio police said no charges had been filed.

The names of the players and the victim were blacked out in the heavily redacted report, although the descriptions in the report fit Hicks and backup quarterback Case McCoy. Head football coach Mack Brown announced Friday morning that he was suspending two players for violating unspecified team rules, but he did not name any players. Both players were sent home and did not play in the final game of the season.

The UT football team was in San Antonio at the time of the alleged incident for the Valero Alamo Bowl, which was played on Saturday. UT beat No. 13-ranked Oregon State 31-27.

The press release goes on to state that Hicks gave San Antonio police a statement and underwent a physical exam when requested to do so.

“These are not the actions of a young man with something to hide or one with a guilty conscience,” Minton said in the statement. “These are the actions of an honest citizen eager to cooperate with law enforcement on every level in order to clear his name and that of his friend.”

According to the press release, Hicks will continue to cooperate with law enforcement regarding this incident.

“Mr. Hicks and his family are devastated over this incident,” Minton said. “This young man has worked his entire life to be in the position at the University of Texas that he has so diligently earned.”

Hicks had not played a game since suffering a season-ending injury against Ole Miss in September. McCoy started one game but logged backup minutes throughout the season.