Michael Todd Wolfe

UT student Rahatul Khan, left, and Michael Wolfe, right, have been charged with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists in a United States Attorney's Office for the Western Distrcit of Texas press release. Photo courtesy of Williamson County Sheriff's office and the Austin Police Department. 

A federal grand jury indicted UT student Rahatul Khan with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists, according to the Department of Justice on Friday.

Khan was scheduled to appear in federal court on Friday for a detention hearing, but it has been reset to June 30. Khan was arrested Tuesday on the same day as Michael Todd Wolfe, who waived his detention hearing and will remain in custody. Wolfe is from Austin but is not a UT student. Both men are 23.

According to the justice department, both men waived formal arraignment and have pleaded not guilty.

From March 2011 to January 2012, “Khan allegedly conspired with others to recruit persons to travel overseas to support terrorist activities including committing violent jihad,” according to federal prosecutors.  

If convicted, both men face up to 15 years in federal prison and a maximum $250,000 fine.

Federal prosecutors arrested a UT student on Tuesday accused of aiding terrorists, according to a United States Attorney's Office for the Western District of Texas press release.

Rahatul Khan appeared in federal district court on Wednesday with Michael Todd Wolfe. Both men were charged with conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists, according to a courtroom deputy. According to the criminal complaint, Khan is a UT student. Both men are 23 years old.

According to federal prosecutors, Khan was arrested in his home in Round Rock. He was involved in an effort to recruit individuals to support terrorism overseas, according to a criminal complaint.

Wolfe, who is from Austin, was arrested at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston while attempting to travel to Europe.

The complaints came after a Central Texas Joint Terrorism Task Force investigation of which UTPD was a part.

If convicted, Khan and Wolfe could serve up to 15 years in prison.

The Daily Texan will be following this story. Stay tuned for more updates.