Fall 2018 Staff: APPLY HERE
The Daily Texan accepts applications the first three weeks of every semester. Tryout process is dependent on department. To begin, please fill out the interest form at the link above. The editors of the departments you indicate interest in will reach out to you via email once the semester begins.
- The news department covers student issues on campus, UT policy, the UT administration, legislation affecting the University, city policy affecting UT, crime on campus and much more. No experience required.
- The projects department produces in-depth, investigative projects and series. Prior reporting experience required.
- The sports department is responsible for reporting on athletics. Although the sports department’s primary focus is Texas athletics, writers also cover local and professional sports and write weekly online columns about a variety of issues in the sports world. No experience required.
- The L&A department features content ranging from profiles of campus "characters" to local interests and oddities. The department also runs coverage of local festivals such as South By Southwest and Austin City Limits. The department also features weekly online album, movie and book reviews, as well as recurring columns. No experience required.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- The Sci-Tech department writes stories on the many research studies and findings that come out of the University. The department also covers science topics that affect students. No experience required.
- The opinion department includes columnists, cartoonists and editors who work to contribute and solicit columns from the community. The department’s work serves a dual purpose: to reflect, and further inform, the opinions of the University community. No experience required.
- Photographers capture visual content to supplement news, sports and life&arts stories on a daily basis. They also have the opportunity to work on long-term multimedia projects independent from other departments and produce photo spreads, online slideshows and blog posts. No experience required, though familiarity with camera settings is a plus. Tryouts will be required to have access to their own equipment for the tryout period.
- The video department serves the dual roles of creating video components of print stories alongside reporters, while also tackling separate standalone projects. This area of the paper exists to communicate stories that matter through online media, whether it's creating interactive video projects on local politics or covering the waves of emotion that flow from Fun Fun Fun Fest. Apply to the video department to create exciting content to bolster the Texan's increasingly important online presence. Tryouts will be required to independently film and edit a video, with advice and coaching from the video editor.
- The design department makes note of all stories and art for each print issue of The Daily Texan, and then lays out the pages each night. Page designers work one night a week. Staff members are also responsible for graphics and sidebars. The department often works on special design projects such as in-depth packages and special issues. No experience required, though familiarity with InDesign is a plus.
- Staff copy editors are responsible for fact-checking stories from all departments and reading for AP style. Copy staffers work to strengthen content across all departments and gain skills in writing headlines and editing. No experience required, though familiarity with AP style is a plus.
- The comics department focuses primarily on the daily comics, filling the section with new, original content produced by the comics artists. Artists' work may include comics for the printed page or animations for the website. The department also provides other departments, such as news, opinion and life&arts with illustrations to accompany their stories. All artists and animators welcome.
- The podcast department provides a weekly summary and analysis of Daily Texan content across departments and UT-related news. No experience required, but experience with audio editing software and or broadcast journalism is a plus.
SOCIAL MEDIA (DIGITAL)
- The social media team works to coordinate the various Texan social media accounts to maximize the organization's outreach. It works with The Daily Texan's main Twitter account — which boasts the third-largest following among all college media — and uses analytics to track the success of its strategies, in addition to managing the Texan's Facebook and Instagram accounts. No analytics experience required.
- Web staffers produce fun, humorous and conversational articles and posts that drive up web traffic — stuff our audience wants to click on. If you think you have a good online voice, particularly on social media, and you have a good eye on what our audience is talking about, the web team is the perfect department for you. No experience required.