Texas Christian University

Harley Clark, former state district judge and inventor of the "Hook 'em Horns" hand sign, died Thursday at the age of 79. 

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Cari Clark | Daily Texan Staff

Harley Clark, the innovator of the "Hook ‘em Horns" hand sign, died Thursday morning at the age of 78, after fighting pancreatic cancer since February.

Clark graduated from Austin High School in 1952 and received three degrees from UT — bachelor's and master's degrees in government and a law degree in 1962. In addition to serving as the head cheerleader, Clark was student body president from 1957-1958 and was a member of the Cowboys, Tejas Club and the Friars.

After he graduated from the UT School of Law, Clark became a partner in the firm Byrd, Davis, Eisenberg & Clark.

In 1977, Gov. Dolph Briscoe appointed Clark to serve as a state district judge. Five years later, his fellow district judges selected him to serve as their local administrative judge. Among his decisions, he ruled in the 1987 Edgewood ISD v. Kirby case that the state's public school financing system was unconstitutional. While an appeals court reversed the decision, the Texas Supreme Court later agreed the system was unconstitutional.

But it was in 1955 when Clark introduced the "Hook ‘em Horns" sign, which he had learned from his classmate H.K. Pitts, as a cheerleader at a pep rally before a football game against Texas Christian University.

Cari Clark, Harley’s eldest daughter, said although a huge part of her father’s legacy is the invention of the sign, he didn’t make a big deal about it.

"My dad was modest about it,” Cari said. “It didn’t really become prominent in our lives until the 50th anniversary in 2005. I think he often felt like he got more credit than he should have.”

According to Cari, her father’s liberal values stemmed from him being the student body president at a time when the University was going through a massive transformation.

“Dad said UT was really unprepared for the black students coming on campus,” Cari said. “I think that really shaped his liberalism, seeing how unfairly these kids were treated and how manipulative the Texas Legislature could be.”

Thomas Watkins, who began working with Clark in the late 1960s as a trial lawyer and who swore Clark in as a district judge, said while Clark’s invention of the hand sign has followed him everywhere he went, he wants Clark to be remembered for his great work as a judge, too.

“It’s hard to explain how your relationship with a sitting district judge is, but he always reminded me of my inadequacies and always with a grin and with a smile,” Watkins said. “I loved him dearly.”

Kenton Wilson, government senior and current president of Tejas, said the organization was upset to hear about Harley’s death and honored to be associated with him.

“One thing that stuck out to me was his passion for the University,” Wilson said. “He was here during '50s, and he still made an effort to meet the active members of Tejas and Cowboys.”

Clark also endowed the “Harley Clark Scholarship” to provide funds for the Student Government president to support the University after his death.

“This just speak speaks to how incredible of a person he was, and, obviously, him being student body president gives me a connection that I’m fond of and happy to have with him,” Student Government president Kori Rady said.

When not working, Cari said her father had a love for gardening and reading. After retirement, Clark worked full-time at Clark Farm, where he grew organic vegetables. Cari said she fondly remembers her father’s passion for gardening.

“I remember when he’d sell his organic vegetables to the first Whole Foods [Market],” Cari said. “He was very outdoorsy, liked to be outside and loved his garden. He liked to really understand something down to its essence.”

Clark is survived by his wife, Patti Clark, his four daughters, their husbands and his five grandchildren.

Photo Credit: Charlie Pearce | Daily Texan Staff

Despite their 12-game winning streak, the Longhorn volleyball team knows there are still many tests moving forward.

Top-ranked Texas will head to Oklahoma on Saturday in search of its 13th consecutive victory and 10th-straight in conference play. Although the team battled to dispatch Texas Christian University in four sets Wednesday night, head coach Jerritt Elliott sees a daunting road still to come.

“There are good teams,” Elliott said. “We told the team tonight, our toughest three out of four opponents left on our schedule are our next three matches.”

The offense struggled to put things together early on in each set against TCU, but overall the match produced a number of season bests.

Junior outside hitter Haley Eckerman continued to revamp play as she led the Longhorns with a season-high 24 kills in a match that saw Texas record its third highest total kills with 59. Eckerman’s presence will be needed to compete at any stage of the season, and her mind-set is right where it needs to be.

“I think it was me making sure I was just focusing on the right thing and whatever I needed to do to help my teammates out,” Eckerman said after her performance against TCU. “That is something Jerritt works on too … Making sure that we know our role, especially when it is time to kick in, and so I have been
working a lot in practice on trying to manage my swings and not make as many errors in every game.”

Texas is currently hitting at a .278 clip for the season, while the defense is holding opponents to just a .187 average. Although the Longhorns have

produced significantly more kills than its opponents, its 180 total blocks to just 110.5 is the number that jumps out.

With that in mind, the defense will need to be sharp against a Sooners team that has notched an average kill percentage of .254 while averaging 13.3 kills per set. Oklahoma is also riding a four-game home win streak, which should give them momentum in this big conference tilt.

This matchup could be the Longhorns’ toughest conference test yet, as they look to their defense to lead the chase for an undefeated Big 12 record.

Researchers have finally pinned down why straight women and gay men seem to form close relationships: it all comes down to love — but not between each other. 

A new study from UT visiting researcher Eric Russell has found one possible reason for these relationships is because on average, straight women viewed relationship advice from a gay man as more trustworthy than the same advice given by a straight man or woman. Likewise, gay men trusted straight women’s advice more so than that of other gay men or women. Russell’s study is the first to use observations to explain the reason for these friendships that cross sexual orientation lines. The study was published online in Evolutionary Psychology, a public online academic journal, on Feb. 9.

Russell, working alongside colleagues from Texas Christian University, tested 88 straight women and 58 homosexual men.

“We tested our subjects using an online survey. Using fake Facebook profiles, we displayed either a straight woman, a straight man or a gay man to the participants,” Russell said. “We then asked the participants whether they would trust the person in the Facebook profile if they offered them relationship advice.”

The study assessed how sincere the subjects viewed advice from the person depicted in the Facebook profile. Advice ranged in topics from comments on the subject’s clothes to opinions about other men at a hypothetical party.

Danielle DelPriore, a psychology graduate student at TCU, worked on the study with Russell.

“I really liked the way these projects took a widely recognized phenomenon — close friendships between straight women and gay men — and examined it from both perspectives, and ultimately showed that gay men and straight women seem to receive similar benefits from one another,” DelPriore said.

Russell said the absence of ulterior mating motivations between gay men and straight women make those friendships stand out among the more common relationships between heterosexual friends.

“Second, our results provide evidence that these relationships may be more than just stereotypes we see in the popular media — they have a basis in real life,” Russell said.

Psychology junior Morgan Harnois said she has had experiences with relationships such as those the study covered. She said she feels gay men at UT can be stereotyped by women.

“I feel that studying those kinds of relationships are taking down that barrier, taking down that mentality,” Harnois said. 

Printed on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 as: Researchers explain gay, female friendships

Longhorn fans attend the Hex Rally for Texas A&M in the evening of Nov. 22, 2011 in front of the tower in preparation for the last football game between UT and Texas A&M.

Photo Credit: Julia Bunch | Daily Texan Staff

UT will work witchcraft Monday night with its annual Hex Rally, but this year it is not against A&M.

The Hex Rally is an annual event held by Texas Exes, previously to place a hex, or a curse, on the Aggie football team before the UT-A&M game. When A&M moved to the Southeastern Conference last year, the 118-year-old rivalry between the two universities ended with no future games scheduled. Allyson Copeland,

Texas Exes Spirit and Traditions Council spokesperson, said the Hex Rally tradition is continuing this year with Texas Christian University, a private university affiliated with the Christian Church, on the receiving end of the curse.

Erica Flores, chair of the Texas Exes Spirit and Traditions Council, said Texas Exes briefly considered not having the Hex Rally this year but quickly decided against it.

“We threw out a bunch of options, we talked to a lot of people and we did a lot of research,” Flores said. “We decided that it was best to keep the UT tradition alive where it is, and remind students that these are traditions that we created for our school and it shouldn’t be about another school or for another school.”

According to UT folklore, the rally started in 1941 after the Longhorns had lost to A&M for 18 consecutive years. A group of UT students approached local fortune teller Madam Agusta Hipple for help. She told them to burn red candles before the game in order to “hex” the opposing football team. The Longhorns defeated A&M 23-0, and the Hex Rally has been a tradition ever since.

Flores said the Hex Rally has been used against different schools. According to The Alcalde, the Texas Exes magazine, UT hexed Texas Christian University in a 1955 rally, the first time the hex failed; the Longhorns lost that game 20-47.

“We will gear the hex against TCU in some ways, but at the end of the day we will remember this is a UT tradition,” Flores said. “It will basically be about UT and about where this all started.”

With more than 400 Hex Rally Texas Exes shirts sold out in a few hours Thursday, Flores said students are excited for the rally. She said more shirts will be for sale Monday at 10 a.m. in the West Mall.

In previous years, the Hex Rally was hosted by the Texas Exes Student Chapter, but Carly Ward, president of the Texas Exes Student Chapter, said this year the responsibility of the rally was given to the Texas Exes Spirit and Traditions Council.

“Their primary focus is supporting the traditions of the University, and while the Texas Exes Student Chapter enjoyed putting on the rallies, we just decided that they were a better fit for Spirits and Traditions Council,” Ward said.

Earlier this semester, the Spirits and Traditions Council put on the torchlight parade before the Red River Rivalry game between UT and Oklahoma University.

Printed on Monday, November 19, 2012 as: UT to hex TCU for luck

West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen will bring his high-tempo offense to the Big 12 in hopes of capturing West Virginia’s first Big 12 conference title after winning the Big East title in 2011.

With the Big 12 approaching near collapse this time a year ago, the conference has not only rebounded, but is thriving. With the addition of Texas Christian University and West Virginia, the Big 12 has arguably become a stronger football conference and will have a lot of input into how the national standings shape up at the end of the season. Here are some conference notes heading into Saturday:

Six teams are ranked in the media and coaches poll: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas, Kansas State, and TCU. Baylor also received votes.

Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones and West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith are conference frontrunners for the Heisman Trophy.

Three new coaches enter the conference: Kansas’s Charlie Weis, TCU’s Gary Patterson and West Virginia’s Dana Holgorsen. Holgorsen has been offensive coordinator at Texas Tech and Oklahoma State and has a grasp on the conference landscape already. Five new starting quarterbacks: Oklahoma State’s freshman Wes Lunt, Kansas’s Notre Dame transfer Dayne Crist, Baylor’s Nick Florence, TCU’s Casey Pachall and West Virginia’s Smith.

The conference has a new commissioner in Bob Bowlsby who has had stints as Athletic Director at Northern Iowa, Iowa and most recently Stanford.

Oklahoma has maybe the easiest path to the BCS Title game with the only true road test coming in Morgantown, West Virginia on November 17th. Notre Dame, Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma State all visit Norman this season.

Kansas State backup quarterback Tavarius Bender has withdrawn from the football program, which could prove extremely problematic if do-it-all quarterback Collin Klein goes down with an injury. Bender was the No. 20 dual-threat quarterback in the 2012 recruiting class and the top recruit coming out of Nebraska.

With the new kicking rules in place that bring touchbacks to the 25-yard line, Oklahoma State kicker and 2011 Big 12 Special Team Player of the Year Quinn Sharp is working on his “Sky Kick,” a lofting kickoff that lands just outside the goal line allowing the Cowboys to pin opposing teams deep in their own territory. With OSU trying to break in a freshman quarterback, small details like this could prove extremely beneficial.

TCU renovated Amon G. Carter Stadium this offseason, upping its capacity to 45,000 seats. The ultimate goal was to turn the stadium into the “Camden Yards” (the cozy Baltimore Orioles ballpark noted for positive fan experience) of college football.

Iowa State is set to make a lot more noise in 2012 than most are expecting. With quarterback Steele Jantz returning to the huddle surrounded by as many as nine receivers that will see significant playing time, the Cyclones could very well pull off another big upset this fall. Oklahoma, Kansas State and West Virginia all visit Ames. 

A six-month drug bust operation that occurred last Wednesday at Texas Christian University resulted in the arrest of 17 students. Four of those students were high-profile football players. Fox News reported that the students arrested were caught making “hand-to-hand” sales of marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and prescription drugs to undercover officers.

After a team drug test, an undercover cop asked linebacker Tanner Brock if he was worried about the results. Brock allegedly answered saying that it wouldn’t be a problem since there “would be about 60 people screwed,” according to Fox News. This statement sparked rumors that the majority of the football team was involved in drug usage.

However, TCU claims that this figure is unverified and that such statements cannot be trusted since they are in the context of a drug buy. This case raises some interesting questions regarding college drug use. Does Brock’s perception that the majority of the football team is involved in drugs influence his level of involvement? Perhaps if Brock’s perception reflected that he would be one of the few who would fail the drug test, he would not have been involved in the deal to start with.

In a 2010 National Collegiate Health Assessment study conducted at UT, students were asked how much they believed other students were using drugs such as cocaine, methamphetamine, sedatives, hallucinogens, opiates and other club drugs. The study found that students believed that 75 percent of UT students had used drugs in the previous 30 days, but the reality was that only 8 percent of the students at UT reported using such drugs.

These numbers definitely raise some eyebrows, but what is most interesting is that the typical student perception is almost 10 times more than the actual reported figure. What this means is that UT students have created an idea of certain characteristics that the average student at the University possesses. According to the study, most UT students believe the typical college student uses drugs. The falsity of this statement reflects the skewed norms that are created for the average college experience.

Students are highly influenced by “college norms.” These norms are often reflected in fashion choices such as the brand of shorts students may choose to wear or the brand of backpack students may choose to purchase. Although there are many people who fall outside a “norm,” the norm is the most comfortable standard to follow.

The belief that three out of four students at the University use drugs makes students think drug use is more acceptable and thereby may increase the likelihood that students will try them. Creating this “college norm” is dangerous because it can increase drug use.

UT students should change this perception and create new norms that reflect the truth and integrity of the University. If the students at TCU perceived that the norm on campus was not the usage of drugs, then the bust may not have occurred on this same level. With college norms that encourage others, perhaps following a norm would not be that bad of a thing after all.

Dafashy is a Plan II senior.

The finals in both singles and doubles at the Southwest Shootout will have a decidedly burnt orange tinge after the Longhorns claimed every finals spot at the tournament in Fort Worth this weekend.

Texas swept all semifinal matches on Saturday and will compete against each other in the finals on Sunday at Texas Christian University’s Friedman Tennis Center.

In the Flight A singles bracket, freshman Soren Hess-Olesen will take on teammate Daniel Whitehead in a rematch of a final at a tournament in Midland earlier in the season, in which Whitehead walked away with the win after Hess-Olesen retired with a minor injury. Whitehead defeated TCU’s Nick Chappell 6-3, 6-4 in the semifinals while Hess-Olesen beat Rafael Garcia of Texas Tech, by a 6-4, 6-2 count.

In the Flight B singles draw, Junior Ben Chen scored a 6-1, 6-2 win over Daniel Sanchez of TCU to earn a spot in the final. Also posting victories in the B singles draw were junior Alex Hilliard, who defeated Max Stevens of TCU in straight sets, and sophomore Sudanwa Sitaram, who scored a two-set victory over Michael Nuesslein of Rice.

Freshman Jacoby Lewis posted a 7-6, 6-4 win over Raphael Pfister of Texas Tech in the Flight B singles consolation semifinals.

In the doubles draw, Whitehead teamed up with teammate Chen to take out the TCU team of Sanchez and Superlano 8-1 to set up an all-Texas final against Hess-Olesen and Hilliard, who dealt Sundling and Chappell of TCU an 8-5 defeat.

Other Longhorns also in action this weekend included junior Chris Camillone and sophomore David Holiner who competed in the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships in New York. The duo won its first match, before losing in the quarterfinals, which put them in the consolation bracket. Camillone and Holiner were then defeated 8-3 by Carlos Cueto and Ben McLachlan of California to wrap up their weekend.

TCU athletic officials announced Monday night the Horned Frogs will fill an open slot in the Big 12 Conference.

The TCU Board of Trustees unanimously approved the invitation to join the conference, and the Horned Frogs will be reunited with the Longhorns on July 1, 2012, as both teams formerly played in the Southwest Conference from 1923 to 1996.

“I think it’s a homerun,” said Texas head football coach Mack Brown. “[TCU] has won as much as anybody. They were the Rose Bowl champs last year and have been to a couple BCS games as of late, so I think they’re very deserving. I know our staff will be excited about it, and I think our players will be excited about it.”

TCU formerly announced acceptance of an invitation to move to the Big East in November 2010, but opted to join the Big 12 after the Big East was reduced to six football schools when Syracuse and Pittsburgh revealed they were headed for the ACC. Missouri has also considered a move to the SEC.

The Horned Frogs, who beat Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl to cap off a 13-0 season last year, boast a 4-2 record this season and have yet to lose a conference game. The Longhorns are 4-1 after losing their first conference game against Oklahoma last weekend. They last played TCU in 2007, when they beat the Horned Frogs, 34-13.

“We’re proud that TCU has been invited to join the Big 12,” said UT men’s athletics director DeLoss Dodds. “Their commitment to academics and success on the field make them an excellent fit. With a solid budget and strong financial support, they have been proactive at improving facilities.”

The strong financial support Dodds referred to is evident in TCU’s $164 million renovation of the university’s football stadium, set for completion by fall 2012. Dodds also said TCU’s central location to UT and other Big 12 schools will facilitate travel for both teams.

“It’s great for our fans,” Brown said. “They can easily drive to Fort Worth. We think that parents will be able to see another away game. That’s not the case when you’re traveling across the country to play. The high school coaches are going to get to see them play and the players will get home at a decent hour.”

Education sophomore Victoria Elliott said she has many friends who attend TCU, and she feels the move will benefit their college experience. Elliott said she believes playing more popular schools like UT will grant more exposure to TCU and help the university’s recruiting efforts.
TCU Chancellor Victor Boschini, Jr. stated similar beliefs in a press release issued following the announcement.

“Joining the Big 12 connects us not only to schools with whom we share a rich tradition in sports, but also to schools committed to academic excellence,” Boschini said in the press release.

Other UT students, such as human biology sophomore Michael Zurcher, think the addition of TCU to the Big 12 could even restore old traditions associated with the former Southwest Conference.

“We used to play against them in pretty good competition,” Zurcher said.

Zurcher said he feels officials may have totally saved the Big 12 by bringing in a team with as strong of a history as TCU.

Printed on October 11, 2011 as: Texas Christian University excited to accept invitation to join Big 12 Conference

Column

Head coach Mack Brown celebrates the Longhorns 49-20 win over UCLA on Saturday. His team will remain in the Big 12 for now.

Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Mack Brown may get what he wants after all.

The longtime Longhorns head football coach has repeatedly expressed his desire to keep the Big 12 Conference intact and maintain regional rivalries. That seemed less and less likely with the Pac-12 Conference becoming a probable destination for Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. But after Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott’s announcement that his conference won’t expand, the Big 12 could be saved in the 11th hour yet again.

Even if Missouri follows Texas A&M into the SEC, the Big 12 won’t be beyond salvaging. The Big 12 has proven it can make things work with 10 teams but may soon be stuck with eight. Fortunately for the Big 12, the Big East is in an even worse spot with Syracuse and Pittsburgh headed to the ACC (and Connecticut and Rutgers eager to join them).

The Big 12 needs to go after Texas Christian University and West Virginia. TCU is set to become a member of the Big East soon but would be a better fit in the Big 12. The Horned Frogs would make sense geographically and would quickly become one of the Big 12’s most competitive teams.

West Virginia, who was rejected by the ACC and SEC (possibly for academic reasons), clearly wants to leave the Big East for a more stable conference. The Mountaineers would, unlike TCU, provide another television market to explore, as well as great football and men’s basketball programs.

If either of those two teams isn’t willing to come to the Big 12, Louisville is also a viable option. But TCU and West Virginia would put another Band-Aid on the Big 12’s wounds and keep the conference around a bit longer.

Oklahoma’s recent demands for a new Big 12 commissioner and new rules regarding the Longhorn Network (which may be responsible for this whole conference realignment mess in the first place) could be problematic. But the Sooners lost all their leverage when joining the Pac-12 was eliminated as a possible destination. Problem solved.

The ACC is also a potential landing spot for Texas. It’s handled this conference realignment chaos beautifully by realizing it’s not a football powerhouse and playing to its strength: basketball. Look for Connecticut, whose men’s basketball team just won a national title, to join Syracuse and Pittsburgh in the ACC, along with Notre Dame.

The Fighting Irish have made it clear they want to stay independent in football, but the ACC would be their first choice if they gave it up. The ACC should let them keep their TV deal with NBC, especially since Notre Dame meets its academic standards.

Texas is beginning to look more and more like Notre Dame now that it has its own network. And, like the Fighting Irish, the Longhorns could go independent. It would make scheduling difficult, especially for teams playing Olympic sports. So, like Notre Dame and the Big East, Texas would likely have to join a conference for its non-football squads to compete in anyway.

Only 24 hours ago, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that Texas was going to the Pac-12. That’s no longer the case, but such is the nature of conference realignment. Just when you’ve finished packing your bags, you find out you’re not going anywhere.

You’re welcome, Mack.

Printed September 22, 2011 as: Big 12 to remain intact, Pac-12 says no to expansion