St. Edwards University

This weekend, two Texas alumni return to Red and Charline McCombs Field. However, neither will be wearing burnt orange and white and neither will be rooting for the Longhorns. Olympic gold medalist and former star pitcher Cat Osterman and former NCAA all-American Lindsay Gardner will be watching the Longhorns from the visitor dugout as recently named coaches for the St. Edwards University softball team.

Prior to the start of the fall exhibition season, the Hilltoppers named Gardner as their head coach and Osterman as their assistant coach. Gardner was the assistant coach at St. Edwards from 2007-2008 before she left for a job as a private instructor. Osterman returns to Austin after serving as the assistant coach at DePaul University from 2008-2010.

Coincidentally, this Friday the Longhorns are hosting Alumni Weekend on the 40 Acres, a fitting setting for Gardner and Osterman’s visit.

The Longhorns are coming off of two commanding performances against Temple College and St. Mary’s College, winning by a combined score of 35-1. St. Edwards recently competed in the Spring Klein College Classic, finishing in a tie for first with Baylor.

Senior Courtney Craig and junior Taylor Hoagland are having a productive fall season and will lead the potent Texas offense this weekend. Junior all-American Blaire Luna will take command of the circle along with sophomore Rachel Fox, junior Kim Bruins and freshman Gabby Smith.

Printed on Friday, October 14, 2011 as: Former alumni coach St. Edwards

A new Student Government committee will attempt to bridge the gap between the city and the University by tackling Austin issues that could impact students. The Mayor’s Student Advisory Council includes five students who applied in the fall and SG President Scott Parks selected. The council held its first meeting Thursday, and it will meet twice a month to address issues pertaining to the UT population. “I think there has always been a lack of communication between the University and the city,” Parks said. “This is an outlet for students to voice their concerns.” Parks worked on a similar council two years ago that included student representatives from UT, St. Edwards University and Austin Community College. The SG council will only include student representatives from UT so that it can better address interests that apply specifically to University students. “I think we’re going to get out of it what we put in. Students are the primary objective,” said John Lawler, a Liberal Arts representative in SG. “The last couple of years, students have been absent from the scene, and this is our chance to make a difference. The things that actually impact students happen on the municipal level.” The council will work closely with city officials such as Mayor Lee Leffingwell and his spokesman Matt Curtis. The mayor’s office is eager to bring in experts to collaborate on efforts that directly impact the students, such as Capital Metro, Curtis said. “Students will drive this effort,” Curtis said. “They know what the population is looking for.” At the meeting, Annick Beaudet, the city’s bicycle programs manager, updated students on the progress of the Rio Grande Project, which could lead to the installation of new bike lanes and street-side parking spaces in the West Campus area. The student representatives gave their input to Beaudet, who will present the proposal to the University Area Partners neighborhood association on Feb. 2. In addition to the biking situation, the student representatives suggested topics for future meetings such as parking meters, developments in West Campus, homelessness, railways and buses.