Southern Methodist University

Photo Credit: Sarah Montgomery | Daily Texan Staff

Men's swimming and diving

Each year, the Texas men’s swimming and diving team quietly climbs their way to the top — and this year should be no different.

The Longhorns have comfortably retained the No. 1 national spot since Dec. 11 and will look to protect their rank in this weekend’s double-dual meet against No. 14 Arizona and SMU.

In their last meeting with SMU, almost exactly two years ago, the Longhorns cruised past the Mustangs by a 76-point margin. And about one year later, Texas handed the Wildcats a defeat 194-153.

Four Longhorns — John Murray, Clark Smith, Will Licon and Joseph Schooling — hold the country’s top times in five individual events. Texas also holds the nation’s fastest times in the 200-medley relay and 200-freestyle relay.

Most impressively, and most recently, two Longhorns earned international recognition. Sophomore Jack Conger secured the world’s best time in the 100-butterfly at the USA Swimming Arena Pro Swim Series with senior Tripp Cooper coming in a touch behind him with the world’s second best time in the event.

Texas takes to the water at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center for this weekend’s meet at 5 p.m. on Friday and continuing into Saturday afternoon.

Men's tennis

Following back-to-back home victories to start the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, the Texas men’s tennis team will attempt to bring home its fifth straight victory Saturday.

The Longhorns travel to Dallas this weekend to take on undefeated Southern Methodist University at the SMU Tennis Complex. Both teams are undefeated so far this season. However, Texas remains ranked No. 9 in the nation, while SMU is currently unranked.

Last season, the Longhorns cruised past the Mustangs in their season opener, winning by a score of 7 — 0. Junior Søren Hess-Olesen produced a strong performance — one of many from Texas during the match.

Hess-Olesen, a two-time All-American and reigning Big 12 Player of the Year, has been the catalyst for the Longhorns again this season. He has won his last six matches, including back-to-back straight set victories against No. 46 Minnesota and No. 33 Florida State.

Following Saturday’s match, Texas will have two more home matches before heading to Chicago for the ITA National Indoor Championship on Feb. 13.

Women's tennis

After a shutout loss to Vanderbilt Sunday, No. 23 Texas women’s tennis (1–1) looks to redeem itself this weekend against Rice (1–2).

The match will be the first home contest for the Longhorns this season at the Weller Indoor Tennis Center.

Both teams started the season at the ITA Kick-off Weekend event last weekend, but neither team advanced to the National Women’s Team Indoor Championship in February.

The Longhorns defeated DePaul 4–3 before losing to Vanderbilt, earning them a second place finish in the four-team tournament. Rice travelled to Illinois but lost both matches and placed fourth.

Texas is the third of six consecutive top-40 opponents the Owls play this season, and Rice has yet to defeat a ranked team on the road.

At the top of the lineup for Rice is senior Natalie Beazant, who was ranked No. 24 in the preseason singles rankings. Two-time All-American sophomore Breaunna Addison will lead the lineup for the Longhorns.

Track and field

Texas will split up to compete in the Howie Ryan Invitational and the UW Invitational this weekend.

The Longhorns are sending a small group — most of whom are sprinters — to the Howie Ryan Invitational in Houston, hosted by the University of Houston. 

The Howie Ryan Invitational will feature top-25 talent in the men’s and women’s hurdles. On the women’s side, junior Mobolaji Adeokun currently ranks No. 24 in the country with a time of 8.42 seconds. Sophomore Spencer Dunkerely-Offor ranked No. 31 this season with a time of 7.95 will compete in the men’s hurdles.  He will face off against Houston’s Isaac Williams, who is ranked No. 1 in the country with a time of 7.72.

Texas will send its pole vaulters and throwers to Seattle for the UW Invitational, hosted by the University of Washington.

Junior All-American pole vaulter Reese Watson will have his hands full as he goes up against some of the best pole vaulters in the country. Three athletes who are currently in the top 10 will compete in the men’s pole vault.

Junior pole vaulter Kaitlin Petrillose, the defending NCAA champion, is currently ranked No. 9. Petrillose will compete against University of Washington’s Diamara Planell Cruz, who is ranked No. 22.

Matthew McConaughey attends the Texas football game Saturday evening in recognition of recent Distinguished Alumnus Awards. UT alumni recipients were awarded for their lifetime achievements and contributions.

Photo Credit: Jenna VonHofe | Daily Texan Staff

For the 56th year, the Texas Exes alumni association recognized the work of UT alumni through its 2014 Distinguished Alumnus Awards. 

The 2014 recipients included former football player Earl Campbell, former regent H. Scott Caven Jr., businessman John Massey, astronaut Karen Nyberg, actor Matthew McConaughey and Dealey Decherd Herndon, former executive director of the State Preservation Board of Texas. Jody Conradt, former UT women’s basketball coach, was recognized with the Distinguished Service Award.

In his acceptance speech, McConaughey said before attending the University, he decided to become a lawyer and thought about applying to Southern Methodist University. McConaughey, who won the Oscar for Best Actor in March, said his brother told him that because their oil business was going bankrupt, it would be cheaper to go to UT. 

“For that, I am happy the oil business went to pot because this was the four best years of my life,” McConaughey said. “When I tell people about this university, I tell them they will have access to a great education but also learn how to compete and engage. While I was here, I made a lot of my closest friends here and at Delta Tau Delta.”        

Remembered for his punishing style of play and becoming UT’s first Heisman winner, Campbell, who received the Heisman Trophy in 1977, said it was hard to initially understand the impact the University had on him.

“It wasn’t until I got to the NFL when I realized what UT gave me,” Campbell said. “I noticed this with teammates with the [Houston] Oilers as they talked to me more about Coach [Darrell K] Royal and the University and things that I went through.”

Caven served on the Board of Regents from 2003-09, including as chairman from 2007-09. In his speech, Caven talked about the significance of the hires he was able to make with the board, such as William Powers Jr. as president, Francisco Cigarroa as chancellor and Bruce Zimmerman as head of UT Investment Management Company.

“Having served on the Board of Regents and UTIMCO, it gave me opportunities to make a difference,” Caven said. “One of our most important duties was choosing our leaders.” 

Nyberg, who completed her doctorate in 1998, has participated in two missions and logged more than 75 million miles in space as a NASA astronaut.

“When I came to UT, I started as a graduate student,” Nyberg said. “It is because of the people I met and the opportunities I was given that I was able to accomplish my dreams.”

This year’s recipients joined a long list of well-known alumni, including Walter Cronkite, Lady Bird Johnson, Ben Crenshaw, Michael Dell and Adm. William McRaven, the next UT System chancellor. 

Amid further controversy regarding the politicization of Texas public school textbooks, it is time not only for the Powers administration but also UT faculty and students to evaluate the true significance of the statues of Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, among others, which stand in the heart of our campus. 

A report released this month from the nonpartisan Texas Freedom Network Education Fund, debated in a point/counterpoint in this paper last week, found numerous instances of politically fueled bias in government, Texas, U.S. and world history textbooks. These included comic strips trivializing affirmative action as well as the statement that, during segregation, “Sometimes … the buildings, buses, and teachers for the all-black schools were lower in quality,” which is a significant understatement. Not only do these textbooks effectively whitewash the history of the Jim Crow South, but they are, according to a report, a statement that “understates the tremendous and widespread disadvantages of African-American schools compared to white schools.”

There was so much bias, in fact, that the conservative Thomas B. Fordham Institute wrote, “The complicated but undeniable history of separation of church and state is dismissed” as well as textbooks undermining the fact that slavery was “the actual trigger for the sectional crisis.”

In the year 2014, this kind of revisionist history ought to be seriously reassessed. However, young students are not the only ones who will feel the consequences of agenda-fueled education.

“My heart is out as well to the students who come to my classrooms at SMU from the study of history in the Texas public schools,” wrote Edward Countryman, a history professor at Southern Methodist University, in his opening statement in his report on proposed Texas, U.S. and world history textbooks. “[I]f they have not taken Advanced Placement history, they are woefully underprepared for the college-level study of history.” 

Just as the Texas State Board of Education’s primary goal is likely not to directly misinform young students, the statues of Jefferson Davis, Albert S. Johnston and Robert E. Lee are not intended by the university to directly represent exclusion and the institution (and perpetuation) of slavery. Rather, these statues are presumably meant to reveal the pride Southerners feel regarding their legacy of rebellion and independence. Though this rationale is good enough for many, it is not good enough for a collegiate community concerned that certain statues represent blatant racism. 

In 2006, President William Powers, Jr. reacted to student-fueled sentiment regarding the removal of certain statues on campus. “[T]he statues have been here for a long time, and that’s something we have to take into account as well,” said Powers after forming an advisory committee, which to this day has no written proof of action. His argument based on tradition is not wholly dissimilar to arguments made in favor of the continuance of slavery in the 19th century, as well as many other contemporary polarizing social issues, including the fight for workplace equality and same-sex marriage. So why is it an argument that is considered valid in 2014?

We need look no further than into our own University’s history to find a complicated and nuanced relationship with race. We are a university that did not racially integrate until mandated to do so by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1950 Sweatt v. Painter case. We are a university that recently has been an epicenter in the debate over affirmative action, from a Supreme Court case to a controversial on-campus bake sale. Race has been and will continue to be an incredibly sensitive issue, and to deny this would imply revisionist history. 

Anyone who has followed the recent controversy surrounding the Washington Redskins football team’s name can attest to the fact that symbolic imagery is important. Images that were considered benign 50, 20, 10 and perhaps even five years ago have taken on an entirely new meaning in our world of heightened sensitivity, especially with regards to race. All aspects of our proud and often ugly history ought to be taught and learned objectively. But by erecting statues in the names of Jefferson Davis, et al., we are also choosing which figures of our history we prioritize and stand behind. Do we choose to represent the ideals of equality, democracy and the acquisition of power through struggle, or do we choose to represent exclusion and the fight to maintain slavery at the cost of hundreds of thousands of American lives?

Sundin is an English and radio-television-film senior from San Antonio.

In April, the White House announced an ambitious plan to combat sexual assault on college campuses. This followed the development of a task force to examine certain colleges and universities with the worst epidemics of these deplorable acts. Fortunately, of the 55 schools highlighted by the report, the University of Texas at Austin was not counted among them. Two Texas schools, however, UT Pan-American and Southern Methodist University, were. And this University, despite not being listed in the so-called worst of the worst, still struggles with an ugly underbelly of sexual violence on campus directed at both men and women.

An example of this hideous underbelly was on full display this past week, when two prominent members of the UT football team, wide receivers Kendall Sanders and Montrel Meander, respectively, were arrested by UTPD and charged with sexual assault, a second-degree felony in Texas, as well as with improper photography. The two allegedly sexually assaulted a young woman whom Meander had met that night on Sixth Street. The Daily Texan respects the anonymity of victims of sexual assault.

The two will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and face a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison for the sexual assault. Sander faces an additional two years for an improper photography charge, a lesser felony. However, UT has already taken steps within its athletic department to punish these offenders.

Football coach Charlie Strong has suspended both individuals from the team and barred them from access to the practice facility in the interim. He has also promised more serious action in the future, such as permanent removal from the team, if circumstances warrant such action.

But the incident should also prompt a conversation about how the University should respond to such sexual violence on campus. With the assault occurring June 21, over a month before arrests were made, serious questions must be asked of both UTPD and the University’s internal mechanism for investigating these crimes.

Sexual assault and violence is a catastrophic problem on college campuses across the country. Recent statistics suggest that as many as one in four co-eds will be assaulted during their time in college.

When it comes to prevention strategies or other discussions on mitigating sexual assault on college campuses, one thing should be abundantly clear: The fault for rape lies completely with the rapist. It does not matter what the victim was wearing, how much she had to drink or how many of the perpetrator’s friends had committed the same heinous act (thus normalizing the tendency). In all of these scenarios, a common denominator is that the perpetrator is 100% responsible.

Education and extensive public awareness campaigns are the ideal solutions to this problem, as a way to prevent tragedies from ever occurring. But unfortunately, prevention is not sufficient in the real world, and sometimes punishment is the only tool we have to deter such abominable behavior.

Accordingly, I was glad to see a heavy-handed response, not only by the UT football team, but by the proper authorities. I look forward to seeing a grand jury indict these men — if the evidence against them is sufficient — and a trial to determine their guilt or innocence. If found guilty, I sincerely hope the full weight of the law is thrust upon them as a sentence to set as an example.

Horwitz is a government junior from Houston. Follow him on Twitter @NmHorwitz.

Correction: An earlier version of this column stated that both players were facing charges for improper photography. Kendall Sanders is the only player facing the lesser felony charge. 

Breaunna Addison has been dominant since mid-March as she continues to impress in her first season at Texas.

The freshman from Florida holds a six-match winning streak, going back to her win at the University of San Diego two weeks ago, making a case for Big 12 Freshman of the Year with a 11-5 overall record (8-5 in dual match singles).

On Sunday, Addison will put her streak up against Southern Methodist University, barring an unanticipated flood in Austin.

Texas (8-8) hosts SMU (11-6) in its sixth match of a nine-match home stand. The two teams will get to play each other after rain canceled their match
last year.

Rain will not be a deterrent this time around, now that the Longhorns possess a backup facility indoors.

Texas is coming off its shutout of West Virginia. The team moved down two spots in the rankings to No. 24 after a 2-1 performance last week.

The last meeting between Texas and a Conference USA opponent came four weeks ago, when Rice upset the Longhorns. The Owls are one of the two teams that jumped Texas this week in the polls.

Texas and SMU begin play on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.

Dr. Eric White presents the Tarlton Law Library’s earliest printed books during the ninth annual rare book lecture in the the School of Law Thursday afternoon.

Photo Credit: Gabriella Belzer | Daily Texan Staff

The UT School of Law houses some of the oldest and rarest printed books in the world. Eric White, a curator for the Bridwell Library at Southern Methodist University, discussed several of the books in detail on Thursday in a lecture hosted by the law school’s Tarlton Law Library

White explained the processes behind the early years of mechanized printing in Europe in the latter half of the 15th century. He also identified the unique aspects of individual books in the library from that era.

“Tarlton Law Library’s holdings are important for research,” White said. 

The first printed books were produced when the German blacksmith Johannes Gutenberg printed copies of the Latin Bible in Mainz, Germany, during the 1450s. Gutenberg’s method of printing, including the invention of the printing press and movable type, was so popular that by 1500, 10 million books had been printed in Europe, White said. 

White’s lecture focused on the typefaces and histories behind specimens of 15th-century printed books, and his talk highlighted several books from Tarlton Law Library’s rare book collection. White also talked about the printing of early law books in the 15th century — several of which can be found in their original form at the library.

“Tarlton’s earliest books are useful specimens for early 15th-century printings,” White said. “There is much for the serious researcher of Northern European law to study here.” 

White’s talk was the ninth annual lecture of the library’s Rare Book Lecture Series. The lecture was organized by Elizabeth Haluska-Rausch, director of special collections at the library. Rausch said the lecture series was created to promote the library’s book collection. 

“The early history of the printed book is integral to understanding the intellectual history of the early modern period,” Haluska-Rausch said. “Books produced with movable type constituted a genuine communication revolution.” 

Information studies graduate student Aizul Ortega said she attended the lecture Thursday because of her interest in preservation studies. Ortega said she was surprised by the number of rare books that can be found at UT. 

“They really interest me,” she said. “I want to know as much as I can about them.”

Ortega said studying antique books like those presented by White allows people to see where knowledge has originated.

“It’s part of our history,” Ortega said. “It teaches how people would think [during the 15th century] and how we have evolved from those thought processes and what we have in common with them.”

Published on March 1, 2013 as "Curator gives rare-book lecture". 

Texas started the season with an impressive come-from-behind win in Dallas last weekend, defeating Southern Methodist University 5-2. After losing their first doubles match, the Longhorns bounced back with a 5-1 advantage in singles competition to secure the victory.

No. 43-ranked Daniel Whitehead, No. 98-ranked Nick Naumann, Lloyd Glasspool, Andrew Korinek and Ben Chen all secured victories in singles play to give Texas the win over SMU.

The No. 23-ranked tennis team will continue its season by taking on No. 25-ranked Washington in Tulsa, Okla., at 2 p.m. Saturday and No. 17 Tulsa at 1 p.m. Sunday. 

Garrett Gilbert scans the field during the BCS National Championship game against Alabama in 2010. Gilbert, a freshman at the time, replaced an injured Colt McCoy in the game but Texas lost, 37-21. (Daily Texan file photo)

Photo Credit: Bryant Haertlein | Daily Texan Staff

Garrett Gilbert sat down with The Daily Texan for an exclusive interview, discussing his time at Texas, high expectations and his future at Southern Methodist University.

The Daily Texas: What do you like about June Jones’ offense?
Garrett Gilbert: He’s been successful as a coach for almost 30 years now. It’ll be fun for me to learn some stuff from a guy that’s been coaching a lot of great quarterbacks since 1980ish.

DT: Do you think that system is better suited for your skills?
Gilbert: The thing that drew me in about SMU wasn’t necessarily the system. Obviously, it’s more of a spread like I did in high school. It’s just the fact that the attitude that they have. They’re going to throw it no matter what so that’s fun for me when I was up there.

DT:When you committed to Texas, they had Colt and put him in the shotgun and didn’t even try to run the ball. Is that what you thought you were going to do?
Gilbert: We talked about running the ball and being able to run the ball since I came. That was something that we tried to do and, for whatever reason, last year it didn’t work out as well as we wanted it to. We kind of had a midseason transformation. Obviously, this year they’re doing a great job of running the ball now. They’ve had 1,000 yards in the past three games.

DT: Have you wondered why you couldn’t have that productive running game?
Gilbert: For whatever reason, things didn’t work out. So there’s no anger there. I’m happy for the guys. I love watching them play on Saturday. I’m really bummed for Fozzy. He’s been awesome to me. He’s been an awesome teammate. I know no one has said a bad word about him. He deserves the best. Hopefully, he’ll get a speedy recovery and get a chance to play on Sundays.

DT: What’s it like watching them play on TV?
Gilbert: It’s a little different. I’m definitely rooting for them to do well. They’re still my friends. I’m still cheering them on every Saturday. Obviously, it’s a little different not being out there but it’s just part of the decision.

DT: What’s been your impression of the team since you left?
Gilbert: They’re very young. Despite guys like Fozzy and some of the guys that have played a little bit more — [David] Snow, Tray Allen and Mason [Walters] — they’re a very young team for the most part offensively. You knew the defense would be good going into the season. They’ve done a great job for the past few years and coach Diaz has had a great attitude and has done a great job with them. Coach Harsin brought in a similar attitude. He’s done a very good job with it. Coach Applewhite and him work well together. But I think, being so young, there have been a lot of guys that have been forced to mature very quickly. The oldest receiver was a true sophomore Mike Davis before Marquise came back. So they’re young at a lot of positions. They’re only going to get better.

DT: Is it frustrating watching the quarterbacks struggle?
Gilbert: It’s easy to be a guy who judges. I’m sure during practice or during the first two games, David’s saying, ‘Oh, I can make that pass.’ I’m rooting for them and I’m hoping they do well. I know things aren’t going to be perfect because they never are. So I’m just hoping things go as well as possible.

DT: Is it fair that people view the quarterback as responsible for the whole team?
Gilbert: As a quarterback, you’re always going to be a guy that gets way too much credit and way too much blame. That’s something that I’ve known growing up from the time I played Pop Warner all the way through high school and into college. That’s just something you’ve got to deal with and David will deal with and he’ll do a good job of it and put the game behind him and move on. I’m sure he’ll respond well this week.

DT: What was your favorite memory of playing at Texas?
Gilbert: No matter it may look with the way things went last year, I really feel like I learned a lot from it. Going 5-7 and going through that adversity taught me a lot about being a football player. It’s something that, hopefully, going forward, if I get the opportunity to play at SMU that I can get use that sort of experience. Last season was a great learning experience. And I’ve really enjoyed the first three years of my college life here at Texas. I wanted to come to this school. It’s my dream school. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I’ve just got some goals that I want to attain for myself that I think it would be better if I go other places with.

DT: Did you think about finishing your football career and competing for the starting position here?
Gilbert: It was a very tough decision. I thought about it a lot. I prayed about it a lot. I just decided that this was best for me. Looking back, maybe I could have stayed. Maybe in the future, I could look back and say that maybe I should have stayed. Right now, I’m looking forward. I’m excited about the opportunity that SMU will bring and I can’t wait for the opportunity to learn from a great coaching staff and learn from the guys on the team.

DT: SMU plays TCU every year between now and 2015. What’s it going to be like playing against your little brother, Griffin?
Gilbert: It’ll be fun. We’ll never be playing against each other, per se, being on the field at the same time. But we’ve already got a little family rivalry going so it’ll be fun for me to get to go against him and for us to get to compete against each other for the first time. We’ve always been at Lake Travis growing up being on the same time. It’ll be fun to compete against each other in an organized setting.

DT: Are you going to be in the defensive huddle warning teammates about him?
Gilbert: I don’t know if we’ll be able to stop him. He’s pretty good.

DT: Any way you get him to come to SMU?
Gilbert: No, he loves TCU. I’ve only got two years left. He’s got four or five years to worry about. He needs to do what’s best for him.

DT: What was the worst moment during your time at Texas?
Gilbert: As much as last year can be used as a learning experience, there’s also negatives to it. Being unsuccessful and being part of a team that broke the 10-win streak wasn’t very fun. As a team, we struggled to get through that together. The guys that are still there I know use it very much like I did as motivation and as a learning experience. I think that’s going to help them and helped them have the success they’ve had. And watching Colt go down in the national championship. Being able to learn so much from him for the two years – the one year I was on the team and his junior year- and to see how much work he put in for that national championship, obviously it was a great opportunity for me to be able to learn, but to see it for a guy that deserved it so much on a freak play that was tough. It was tough to watch because he definitely deserved the national championship.

DT: Is playing on Sundays still a goal of yours?
Gilbert: Absolutely. Right now, I’ve got to put first things first. It’s kind of a one step at a time deal. But the end goal, for me, is to make it to the NFL. That’s been my dream and it’s going to continue to be my dream.

DT: Guys have done well, especially quarterbacks, transferring from Texas, including Jevan Snead and G.J. Kinne. What will be your expectations moving forward?
Gilbert: I expect myself to do well. Once again, it’s first things first. I’ve got to go up there to learn the offense, meet the guys and become the best teammate I can be. After that, I can start competing for playing time. I know that there’s a couple good quarterbacks already there at SMU. That’s my goal.

DT: What’s the most hurtful thing you heard?
Gilbert: Honestly, I try my best to let that stuff go in one here and out the other. I do my best not to remember any of that. Obviously, there were things that I would read or see on TV that were tough but I’d put it out of my memory as quickly as possible and just move forward. All I could control was what I can do and what our team can do. I never really was able to waste time focusing on the negativity outside because our goal was still to make a bowl all the way up until the last week of the season last year. We had to just keep moving forward and try to keep getting better each week.

DT: Were you told not to read anything about you?
Gilbert: I think it kind of goes without saying that you shouldn’t read it because nothing good can come out of reading good stuff about you and, obviously, nothing good can come out of reading bad stuff about you. They tell us stay away from the media but it’s just a matter of staying focused on what’s important and understanding that outside, most of the time, it’s their job to put something out there that people will read. You’ve got to understand that and understand that it won’t be beneficial to you.

DT: What’s the one thing that pissed you off the most?
Gilbert: I don’t know if there was any one thing. It was frustrating last year. I don’t know if it was anything like that. I’m not going to say anything bad about anyone in particular. I don’t remember anything specifically. I know I’d accidentally read it sometimes. I tried not to. I tried to stay away from it. I don’t remember anything specific.

DT: Were expectations for you too high?
Gilbert: Absolutely not. At Texas, every year, it’s 10 wins, BCS, national championship or bust. I knew that when I came to school here. I knew that would be part of it when I came to Texas. The expectations were not too high. The fans have a right to say exactly what they want or feel however they want.

DT: You came here during a crossroads of the program. Texas had to reevaluate what it was doing on offense. Do you ever wish you came here at a time like 2008?
Gilbert: I can only deal with the circumstances I’m given. I was put here at this time for a reason and now I’m going to be put at SMU for a reason. That’s all I can control. That’s all I can worry about.

DT: How’s the shoulder?
Gilbert: It’s doing well. I’m getting range of motion back. I’m working on the rehab every day. It’s a long process.

DT: Can you throw?
Gilbert: No, not yet. Hopefully I’ll get to start in a month or so. That’ll be a process, too. It’s just going to take a little bit of time.

DT: Did you get any weird looks while you were wearing a sling around campus?
Gilbert: I just didn’t like wearing the sling, first of all. It was big and kind of a hassle. Other than that, I made the decision for myself to transfer. Life goes on. Things will work out.

DT: What did people notice more? The sling or you?
Gilbert: I think they wondered what the heck that thing was on my arm more than they noticed who I was. Every once in a while, I’d notice someone looking at it trying to figure out what the heck it was.

DT: Could have played through your shoulder injury?
Gilbert: I just know that the doctors told me it would be best to get it repaired. The trainers released a statement. As I threw, it got progressively worse. For my future, it would be best to get it taken care of.

DT: How frustrating was it knowing that you might not have played as well as you could have against BYU because of your shoulder?
Gilbert: Honestly, in the Rice game, it didn’t bother me because I had the adrenaline going. In the BYU game, the plays that happened weren’t a result of my shoulder. That’s just what happened. It wasn’t my shoulder bothering me. I can’t say that had an effective negative on me during the game.

DT: What will be the biggest difference between people’s expectations for you at Texas and at SMU?
Gilbert: For me, the expectations will be the same. I’m playing to win every game. I’m going to do the best I can to go up there with that attitude. I think that’s the attitude there already. June Jones has brought in a great attitude to the program. He’s gotten them to three straight bowls so they’re doing very well. They’ve got that attitude, too, where they feel like they should win every game. They’re playing very well right now, apart from this last week. They’re doing a very good job so I’m excited to go up there and be a part of it.

DT: Did you hear the boos?
Gilbert: Did I hear them? Oh yeah. It’s a loud stadium. You’re going to hear it. It didn’t bother me or affect me. But you hear them when you’re out there.

DT: Is there anything you want to say the fans?
Gilbert: I appreciate coming out to support the team. They’re entitled to the way they feel. For whatever reason, things didn’t work out here. I’m just excited about the opportunity to move forward?

DT: What are you going to miss  most about, not just playing for Texas, but being in Austin?
Gilbert: Austin’s my home. It’ll be different being away from home for the first time. I love the city of Austin. I love being close to home. I love Texas. I love the Longhorns and I love my teammates. And I’ll miss all of that. It’ll be tough for me but it’s something that I have to do. The relationships will still be there. I’ll still be in contact with them. Obviously, it’s tough but it’s something that just has to happen.

DT: Were you shocked by what happened this season?
Gilbert: I wouldn’t say I was shocked. I don’t know why it happened but for whatever reason it didn’t work out here. I’ve just got to deal with and go forward. I feel very excited about where I’m going. All my focus is forward. I try not to get disappointed by the past because I feel like I’ve got a great opportunity ahead of me.

DT: Do you think you’ll be the starter at SMU?
Gilbert: I don’t know. My goal right now is to go up there and get to know the guys, learn the most I can about the offense, learn as much as I can from June Jones and be the best teammate and leader I can be. After that, I can start worrying about competing for a job. Wherever I would have gone, there would have been competition. I know there’s going to be completion there at SMU. I expect myself to perform well but there’s other quarterbacks up there that expect to do well, too. So there’s going to be competition there. There’s going to be great offensive players that have been there for a while. They’re successful right now so I’ve got to insert myself and help the team any way I can.

DT: Did you consider going anywhere besides SMU?
Gilbert: I fell in love with SMU. I was able to go up there and visit. I had a great time. I really enjoyed it. I thought the campus was awesome. I liked the people I got to meet. I loved the coaches. The guys I got to meet on the team were very welcoming. They treated me well. I got there and I liked it a lot.

DT: Do you stay off social media?
Gilbert: Yeah, I do. I got rid of my Facebook a while back and I never got on Twitter.

DT: What’s your lasting memory of Texas?
Gilbert: My lasting memory here? I’ll forever be a Longhorn fan. I’m very fortunate for the opportunity I was given by coach Brown and his staff and the people here at Texas. For me, I’m going to look back on it positively. I’m thankful for the education I was given. I’m thankful for the opportunity I was given to play football here because this is my dream. I think I’ll always be a fan of the Texas Longhorns.

Printed on Thursday, November 17, 2011 as: Gilbert sits down with The Daily Texan

Texas had a complete team effort over the weekend in its double-dual meet against No. 6 Arizona and Southern Methodist University. The freshmen stood out in Texas’ 186.5-155.5 victory against Arizona and 223-117 win over SMU.

Nick D’Innocenzo continued his recent dominance, winning the 400 individual medley with a season-best time of 3:48.78. D’Innocenzo also won the 100-yard backstroke and 200 individual medley. He also had a second-place finish in the 200 backstroke.

“Last year, Nick just swam his events, and his success had been because he was so good on the back half of his events instead of the front half,” said Texas head coach Eddie Reese. “He decided at Christmas he was going to be more aggressive during the front half of his events. He is swimming lights out. He is swimming great.”

Drew Livingston and Will Chandler finished first and second in the three-meter diving event.

Texas won five more events on the first day, including wins in both the 400-yard and 200-yard medley relays.

Michael McBroom won the 1,650-yard freestyle, and Jim Robertson placed third.

Jimmy Feigen, Miles Joye and Scott Jostes finished one-two-three in the 200-meter freestyle.

“I took the freshmen and I gave them a little time off,” Reese said. “In other words, instead of doing two-hour workouts, we did like 75-minute workouts. It really helped them. They swam great. They have worked so hard; it was their turn to swim great.”