School of Public Affairs

The Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs offered its apologies to 2012 graduates after commencement programs mistakenly read “School of Pubic Affairs."

Document Solutions, the University’s copy and print department, originally printed the error, said Susan Binford, assistant dean of communications at the LBJ School.

Binford said the dean of the school wrote letters to each of the 135 graduates apologizing for the error and promising each graduate three copies of a corrected program in the mail.

“The dean feels strongly in that there’s no value in trying to affix blame to one person,” Binford said. “More than one person failed to catch this error, and all we can do is own up to our mistake, apologize for it and take the necessary steps to make up for it after the fact.”

Binford said Document Solutions absorbed the $533 cost of reprinting the programs as part of their responsibility in printing the error. The graduates were each mailed the corrected programs, she said.

“[Commencement programs] have a great deal of writing, proofing and editing,” Binford said. “Many eyes see these programs, and unfortunately the programs were printed and contained this typographical error which was discovered after the actual commencement took place.”

Binford said the school reached out to various social networks, including Twitter, to apologize for the error publicly.

“I think what’s important to note is that we immediately reached out with just the deepest and sincerest of apologies,” Binford said. 

To honor a former UT professor, congresswoman and state senator, the Texas Legislature will pass a resolution today to commemorate the birthday of Barbara Jordan.

Monday marked the 75th birthday of Jordan, former Texas senator and professor in the LBJ School of Public Affairs. Jordan was the first African-American woman to join the state senate and was later elected to the United States Congress, before teaching in the School of Public Affairs. She died in 1996.

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, will present a House resolution to the Senate that will be passed today in honor of Jordan’s birthday, while Rep. Dawnna Dukes, D-Austin, will present it to the House, said Laura Langham, a staff attorney and researcher with the Texas Senate. Lawmakers have invited 100 fifth graders from Barbara Jordan Elementary School to watch the resolution pass in the House and the Senate, Langham said.

“Besides the fact that she was an outstanding woman, it seems appropriate to honor her birthday because of all that she accomplished in the Senate,” she said. “It’s important to embody her values as a senator and to
celebrate her.”

The resolution is part of a weeklong symposium co-sponsored by the Legislature and LBJ School to celebrate the life of Barbara Jordan.

Ellis spoke to a crowd of 130 in the LBJ School about Jordan’s legacy. It’s especially important to celebrate her legacy and impact on UT and the School of Public Affairs so that future students can accomplish what she could not, Ellis said.

“Of all of the accolades on her resume to have put on her headstone in the state cemetery, the one that stands out in the boldest print is teacher,“ he said. “Maybe that’s because at the end of the day, the most significant gift that any of us can give to future generations is being a teacher.”

Tiffany O’Neal, a graduate student in the LBJ School and one of the student organizers, said she wanted to get as many student groups involved as possible.

“Every student group we contacted jumped on board,” she said.

Student groups involved with the symposium include Public Alliance for Communities of Color, the Green Society, the Center for Health and Social Policy and Social, Health, and Economic Policymakers. Issues that Jordan fought on behalf of, including environmental justice, juvenile justice and education, are still on the forefront of issues dealt with by students in the School of Public Affairs, O’Neal said.

“The one thing I knew about the LBJ School was that Barbara Jordan taught here, and that’s why I decided to come,” she said. “We all need to keep alive her legacy, her spirit and her passion for social justice.”

News Briefly

The LBJ School of Public Affairs announced Tuesday that Carolyn Miles Garber is its new director of development, a position that has been vacant for five years.

Garber will be in charge of the school’s fundraising efforts.

“I’m going to be building their development operation again,” Garber said.

The school is going to launch a new major donor program and revive a series of alumni donor and communication programs that have not been active in the last few years, she said.

She wouldn’t estimate how much money these new initiatives would raise.

“I could not be more pleased that [Garber] has agreed to join us as our director of development,” said LBJ School Dean Robert Hutchings in a statement Tuesday. “Her senior-level experience in development, together with her earlier work with public policy nonprofit organizations, makes her a perfect fit.”

Garber starts her new job on Nov. 29.