School of Journalism

Bob Woodward, the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, will speak at the Belo Center for New Media on Wednesday afternoon.

Few people embody true journalistic intentions more so than Bob Woodward. The impact of his work when covering the infamous Watergate scandal inspired a new era of investigative reporting. This Wednesday, Woodward will participate in a speaking event at the Belo Center for New Media.

This event is part of the continuing series of guest speakers celebrating the centennial of the School of Journalism. The discussion will be a Q&A session between Woodward and R.B. Brenner, the director of the School of Journalism.

Brenner said, even though much has changed in the American political realm in the last 40 years, Woodward has remained a constant and is able to give a unique perspective on a variety of issues.

“Bob Woodward is incredibly high on the list, if not atop it, of the most influential journalists in my lifetime,” Brenner said. “Over the past half-century, he’s carried out journalism’s most essential functions — to find out important information that the public otherwise wouldn’t know and to hold the powerful accountable.”

Brenner hopes to discuss a variety of topics — from general questions about changes in journalism and transparency within the presidency to more specific questions about current events.

Woodward has been involved off and on with UT’s journalism department over the years. He and Brenner were colleagues at the Washington Post years ago, and he also hired the journalism school’s previous director, Glenn Frankel, to work for the Post. The last time Woodward spoke at UT, he was accompanied by Carl Bernstein, his partner on the Watergate report, and actor Robert Redford, who played Woodward in the film adaptation of his book “All the President’s Men.” 

Woodward plans to address the lack of transparency between the press and the presidency from his beginnings as a journalist with the Nixon administration to the present. 

“The bottom line for me is we do not know enough about what is going on,” Woodward said. “We still have to worry about secret government and that the message managers in Congress and the White House and businesses are better trained with more energy into it and to try to shape what’s going on. And that’s their job, but it’s not always the truth, so reporters have to dig.”

Woodward emphasized that it is important for journalists to pick the “hard topics.” 

“We may be going through one of those hinges in history where big decisions have been made that set the country on a path that is defining,” Woodward said.

According to Wanda Cash, the associate director of the journalism school, the event is timely in light of Obama’s decision to send strike forces to defeat the Islamic State group. Citing Woodward’s extensive knowledge on how Bush handled the war in Iraq and Nixon’s ending of the war in Vietnam, Cash said that Woodward’s perspective provides an arc in the story. 

“Woodward is important to us because [his] and Carl Bernstein’s reporting on Watergate inspired a whole generation of investigative reporters and set so many people on the path to reporting because they were inspired to learn what a couple of intrepid rookies could do,” Cash said.

Photo Credit: Caleb Kuntz | Daily Texan Staff

R.B. Brenner, deputy director of the journalism program at Stanford University, will be the new director of the School of Journalism in the Moody College of Communication starting in August, according to Moody college dean Roderick Hart. 

In May 2013, the journalism school’s current director Glenn Frankel announced he would retire to work as an author full-time. Hart said Brenner’s official paperwork was signed Wednesday. “We had a search committee that had a bunch of people on it,” Hart said. “When they said he was an applicant, I was very pleased. When he came to campus he just kind of wowed everybody.”

Brenner, who worked in a number of editing positions at The Washington Post, said one of the biggest challenges facing modern journalism is the rapid development of new technology. 

“The more technology speeds us forward, the more you also have big issues between some of the real traditional values of journalism,” Brenner said. “You’ve seen that in the last few years, in the coverage of the Newtown shooting and the Boston Marathon bombings, with this constant competition between speed, accuracy and credibility. News outlets have to ask themselves, ‘How important is it to be first if it ends up damaging your reputation?’”

Brenner said he has ideas for potential changes at the journalism school in mind, but he is not ready to share them until he has a chance to familiarize himself with the school.

“I think it’s premature,” Brenner said. “I am a journalist and reporter at my core. The way I think about anything is, ‘Would it be smart for a reporter?’ I think it would be bad for me, from several miles away, to make claims on best practices for the school.” 

Frankel, who also worked at The Washington Post and Stanford before joining UT, said Brenner’s academic and professional experience will be valuable when he becomes the director. 

“I think that people felt strongly that we needed someone with a real solid grounding in professional journalism because of the huge changes transforming news at every level,” Frankel said. “He’s just a very warm, communicative person who listens carefully, who respects students, who really loves students and then is collaborative.”

In January, The Daily Texan reported Texas Student Media, the umbrella organization that manages a number of student-produced media properties, including Cactus Yearbook, Texas Travesty, Texas Student TV, KVRX and the Texan, would be moving under the domain of the Moody college. According to Hart, this move has not yet officially taken place. 

Brenner said he is unsure of what role Texas Student Media will play in the journalism school moving forward. 

“What’s really important for student media, first and foremost, is for it to be independent, that students are running student media,” Brenner said. “I don’t think the days of anything being print alone exist anymore. It’s essential for [publications] to understand the specific needs and wants of their audience.”

Additional reporting by Nicole Cobler.

Clarification: This story has been updated from its original version. Brenner was an editor at The Washington Post.

Glenn Frankel, pictured here with his new book, will leave UT after the 2013-2014 academic year.

After four years as the director of the School of Journalism, Glenn Frankel will retire from his position and become a full-time author.

In an email to his colleagues Thursday evening, Frankel announced he will be leaving UT after the 2013-14 academic school year. In his last year, Frankel said he will focus on transforming the curriculum in the journalism master program and focus on helping a new person transition into his position. 

Frankel said he will return home to Arlington, Va. and write books full-time, which he says is "a cherished dream."

He said the new journalism director needs to be able to demonstrate how journalism is a value to UT as a whole. Frankel said the new director also needs to be concerned with the fate of The Daily Texan, which almost cut its printing from five to four times a week this past semester due to budget concerns. Frankel said the Texan must remain as independent and student-run as possible.

"This is a time where journalism needs that kind of support, and all of our former assumptions are up for grabs. We need to reassert and reestablish the critical importance of journalism in a democratic society," Frankel said in an interview with The Daily Texan. "And that's part of the job for the School of Journalism."

Frankel, a former Washington Post editor and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, was hired as the director of the School of Journalism in 2010. Looking back at the past three years, Frankel said the opening of the new journalism building, the Belo Center for New Media and the launching of the new journalism curriculum were some of his high points of his career as journalism director. 

In the 2012 fall semester, the journalism school released a new curriculum aimed to better train students to become multimedia journalists and have multiple skills. It was the first time the undergraduate curriculum had been critically changed in two decades, Frankel said.

"Our students are getting digital tools from the day they come to the school while still getting basic journalistic sensibility that goes with it," Frankel said. "There are still bugs to iron out and things to get done, but its an enormous achievement."

The new curriculum requires students to conduct a professional internship, which Frankel says has strengthened relations between the School of Journalism and professional news organizations such as the Dallas Morning News. The Morning News recently ran six stories about race in school classrooms by UT students writing for Reporting Texas, a journalism class at the University. 

Despite these gains, Frankel said the school needs to form even better and stronger relationships with these news organizations.

"There is an enormous opportunity here to be a spokesman and a champion of good journalism and the value of good journalism," Frankel said.

Frankel said he was convinced now was a good time to retire after receiving positive critical response on his most recent book. "The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend," was released in February.

"I want to be a full-time book writer. I've written three and I've got several more in mind," Frankel said. "It just seems to me the success of my newest book has given me the opportunity to do that."

Journalism director Glenn Frankel will appear at Book People Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a reading and signing of his new book, “The Searchers: Making of an American Legend.”

“There’s a deeper meaning to westerns, which is about how we conquered the west, and what our country’s about,” Glenn Frankel, director of UT’s School of Journalism, said. 

According to Frankel, on the surface westerns are about a guy with a gun and the shoot-out, but in his new book, “The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend,” Frankel explores the film and American history of the 1956 John Ford film, “The Searchers.” 

David Hoffman, a former Washington Post colleague of Frankel’s and a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, said that Frankel’s “The Searchers” will be the cultural book of the season because Frankel took one strand of American history and followed it all the way through. 

“It cuts from a really raw, serious, violent conflict to a great filmmaker trying to make a film,” Hoffman said. “History is best understood by somebody who can show that it cuts across culture, mythology [and] dirty old clippings. And that’s the great thing about this book. It’s a journey through history that is completely cutting across different times. And you feel like you’ll see things in a different way.”  

Frankel is a former Washington Post reporter and a Pulitzer Prize winner. In his book, he addressed the incident in which Comanche Indians kidnapped 9-year-old Cynthia Ann Parker who grew up as a Comanche Indian, married a warrior and bore him three children before her American family came to “rescue” her and her infant daughter 24 years later. Frankel examines this event from both a historical standpoint and through the lens of John Ford’s film.  

Frankel said his subtitle, “The Making of an American Legend,” describes how every generation re-imagines history, then changes what it doesn’t like in order to fit its own sensibility and needs. When writing the book, Frankel tried to put himself in Parker’s shoes.

“I think it was pretty clear by the way she acted how frightened she was, how vulnerable she felt,” Frankel said. “Can you imagine what that’s like? I had to. I tried to. I can’t feel those feelings in the same way, but I tried really hard to see what that would be like. It’s great to see her picture, to look in her eyes at her half-panicked ‘I don’t know what I’m doing here.’ You use every clue you can. You go with what they give you.”

Joseph McBride, Ford’s biographer and a film professor at San Francisco State University, described Frankel as a reporter at heart who does great research to find out about things lacking sufficient knowledge. 

“His research is astonishing,” McBride said. “He has many great discoveries important for American history. He’s a great writer who tells the story very engagingly. It’s a very gripping book. I read it almost in one sitting. It’s rich. He understands people really well and is fascinated by complexities and varieties, which you can see in the book. It was a story [that] needed to be told.” 

According to Frankel, the future is all decided but it’s the past that’s unclear. However, Frankel does not want to teach history lessons with his book, he wants to tell stories. 

“It’s interesting to me to capture someone in a moment of crisis when they have to make decisions about what to do,” Frankel said. “They all lived such colorful, complicated lives. I feel like they were all searchers in a way, for a way to survive the world. You don’t make stuff up. You give [the readers] something powerful and meaningful and hope they get it, and they can decide how to live their lives or how to act based on it. I’ll be writing, I hope, until I leave this earth, and I’ll never be done.” 

Frankel will appear at BookPeople on Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a reading and signing of his new book.

Published on February 27, 2013 as "UT Journalism school director discusses book". 

Some UT professors are integrating technology and online tools like social media with traditional teaching methods to encourage participation and performance in class.

Psychology professors Sam Gosling and James Pennebaker have aimed to encourage student involvement in class by offering online discussions. This fall, the professors require students in their Introduction to Psychology courses to bring their laptops to class to take quizzes, complete assignments and participate in small discussion groups. Some professors in the School of Journalism have also embraced the technology route and require students to use social media in class.

According to an October survey by education services company Pearson and the Babson Research Survey Group, nearly 34 percent of 4,000 professors surveyed use social media in their teaching. The study found blogs and wikis were professors’ most preferred social media tools. Eighty-eight percent of faculty also use online video in their classrooms.

Gosling said he has seen an improvement in performance from students in his introduction class, a large-format class with more than 1,000 students in the course. He did not require students to purchase a traditional textbook, instead using online demonstrations, TEDTalks, journal articles and other online texts.

“Generally students like not having to buy a textbook,” Gosling said. “Especially when it comes to saving money.”

Wanda Cash, School of Journalism associate director, said encouraging student participation in big lecture classes is a difficult task.

“It is always difficult to encourage student participation because some students are shy about speaking up,” Cash said. “When students tweet comments I can look up on the Twitter stream and answer some of their questions without singling them out.”

She also requires students to tweet comments about lectures during class and created Facebook pages for her classes where updates and relevant articles are posted. The School of Journalism now requires students to create a digital portfolio, which Cash said functions as an online resume.

Journalism senior lecturer Robert Quigley said he uses a variety of tools in his social media class, including Facebook and Twitter.

“This way of learning is unusual for students, so getting them to participate is not that easy,” Quigley said. “I hope to get more participation in the class as students become more comfortable.”

Printed on Monday, October 29, 2012 as: Professors use Web tools to engage large classes

Photo Credit: Marc Morales | Daily Texan Staff

As the Belo Center for New Media works to gear students up for the new digital age of journalism, some faculty and students are concerned it is leaving the print age behind.

Citing environmental concerns, College of Communication administrators have stopped The Daily Texan from placing a news box in front of the $54.8 million Belo Center for New Media. Janice Daman, assistant dean of the College of Communication, told the School of Journalism last week that no news boxes are allowed in the Belo plaza or on the sidewalk. Since opening in August, the University’s newest building has housed the School of Journalism and the departments of advertising and public relations.

Mark Morrison, adjunct lecturer in the School of Journalism and a Texas Student Media board member, said he was disappointed and wants a Texan news box in front of the center.

“I think it is outrageous,” Morrison said. “We should make it as easy as possible for our students and faculty to get access to the Texan. The Belo Center is, after all, the home of the journalism school.”

The issue arose when Glenn Frankel, director of the school of journalism, asked journalism professor Wanda Cash to look into why there were no Texan boxes in front of the Belo Center for New Media. Daman informed Cash of the college’s policy regarding news boxes in an e-mail.

Daman said the building is environmentally friendly, and the presence of news boxes raises concerns that litter, clutter and debris could gather around the building.

The Belo Center for New Media is striving to achieve the “silver certification” from U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. Signage, banners, plaques and other forms of paper have also been banned from being posted outside the building.

“It’s not a news box issue, per se,” Daman said in an e-mail to The Daily Texan. “That is important to understand.”

In her e-mail to Cash, Daman said the project team rejected a number of requests for material to be posted in front of the building in order to maintain “the look of the plaza.”

“You’ll notice that even the trash cans’ color was specifically chosen by the architect,” Daman said in her e-mail to Cash.

Daman also said there are Texan boxes nearby, one across Whitis Street at the Kinsolving Residence Hall and another across Dean Keaton Street.

Morrison said faculty and students at the Belo Center for New Media should not have to cross the street to pick up a copy of the Texan.

Frankel, director of the school of journalism, said he thinks it is a mistake not to put news boxes in front of the Belo Center for New Media.

“This is the School of Journalism and the College of Communication, and newspapers remain one of the fundamental platforms and vehicles of journalism,” Frankel said. “I would like our students to be exposed to journalism and all of its manifestations here — and that includes newspapers.”

A former editor-in-chief of the Texan from 1969 to 1970, Morrison said he did not face similar issues during his time as editor, but problems with placing news boxes outside of buildings have become more common recently. Last semester, the College of Communication did not let The Daily Texan place news boxes in front of the CMA building in the Walter Cronkite Plaza.

“I mean, to think that the Walter Cronkite Plaza does not have a Daily Texan newsstand, Walter would be rolling over in his grave,” Morrison said.

Cronkite, an icon in the industry of broadcast journalism, got his start at the Texan.

Susannah Jacob, editor-in-chief of the Texan, said she was disappointed there are no newsstands in front of the Belo Center.

“We make every effort with every issue to stop any confusion between The Daily Texan and trash,” Jacob said.

The Daily Texan, UT’s official student newspaper, has roughly 75 news boxes on campus and 100 off campus. The Texan also has about 175 off-campus distribution locations where business owners receive bundles of the Texan and then offer free copies to their customers.

The UT System’s policy on solicitation allow the individual universities to decide where news racks or news boxes can be located. While UT-Austin does not have a specific policy or rule, a spokesperson for Facilities Services said UT does not allow the location of boxes and stands to interfere with foot and vehicle traffic or building access.

Printed on Thursday, September 6th, 2012 as: No Texan news boxes available outside Belo

Digital media fights for its roots

News of the new media building outcasting old media was spread Thursday morning perhaps ironically through new media.

After a request to put a Daily Texan box in front of the Belo Center for New Media was denied, an online firestorm resulted in backlash for the College of Communication. The Dean announced Thursday afternoon the college would design and place a Daily Texan box somewhere on site.

But first, Twitter blew up with hundreds of tweets. The story also got more than 4,000 hits before noon of the morning it was published and was picked up by Poynter, College Media Matters and JimRomenesko.com.

Patrick George, reporter for the Austin-American Statesman, first tweeted the story from The Daily Texan:

So The Daily Texan's Twitter account asked its followers what they thought of the Belo Center for New Media not placing any news boxes in front of the building that houses the School of Journalism:

The issue was not just about news boxes. College of Communication administration had cited concerns that the presence of news boxes would attract litter to a building that was striving to be as enviornmentally friendly as possible. However, faculty from the School of Journalism found it to be a mistake that there were no student newspapers outside the building that houses the School of Journalism.

Meanwhile, people online at Facebook, Twitter and The Daily Texan's comment section debated the greater significance of this issue:

Soon, users expressed varying degrees of disapproval:

College of Communication administrators' concerns about the environment stemmed from the fact that the Belo Center for New Media is striving to get the "silver certification" from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. People weighed in on the environmental impacts:

And the College of Communication was further concerned the news boxes would take away a "certain look" from the plaza. Some supported the effort for mantaining the aesthetic:

And others did not:

The College of Communication further argued that there are boxes right across the street, which some people sympathized with. Others also believed physical papers are no longer relevant in today's world of journalism.

But while some people think we should stop old media and kill it in its tracks, others believe we should nicely help the old guy across the street. Glenn Frankel, director of the School of Journalism, said the support online shows a support for print media.

"It does not surprise me that people react strongly when print media is taken away," said Frankel. "I think there is still a lot of support out there in the world of journalism and news for traditional legacy media, and legacy platforms like print."

After several hours of online backlash, the Dean of the College of Communication emailed The Daily Texan that it would place a newly designed Texan news box in front of the Belo Center for New Media.

Following the announcement, Twitter users celebrated the "power of the press" that restored print media and kept a strong bridge between digital media and its roots:

At the end of the day, the story was printed in traditional journalism. But it was spread most heavily via digital media, i.e. new media. Instead of leaving him behind, new media fought for grandpa.

Additional reporting by Bobby Blanchard.

Throughout my journalism education at UT and various internships, I have firmly believed that journalism is not dying but rather is changing in new and exciting ways. As I prepare to graduate and enter the professional world in one month, it is comforting to see those changes acknowledged at the School of Journalism.

The department is undertaking the biggest change to its curriculum in almost 20 years and moving across the street to the state-of-the-art Belo Center for New Media. Rather than selecting one structured track in topics such as print or broadcast, students will now undertake five levels of coursework where they will learn multiple storytelling techniques, create their own digital portfolio, complete a senior capstone and participate in an internship. Students will also still be instructed in the basics of writing and media ethics.

The “new digital-based, state-of-the-art curriculum,” as it is described on the website, is a breath of fresh air for the University and symbolizes the vitality of journalism in both the academic and professional realms. The shift also represents a wave of change toward positive modernization and away from the pessimistic rhetoric that has been plaguing the media environment for the past five years. Multiple journalism schools around the nation, such as Columbia University and the University of Missouri, have also made curriculum changes.

Although the new curriculum’s focus on digital skills is essential, it is also instrumental that the department continue to stress the importance of courses that are theme-oriented and provide students with the critical thinking skills they need to navigate complex reporting scenarios. Critical skills, not equipment or video skills, help a journalist report a story in a thorough way. Even more of these courses should be added to the curriculum.

During my four years at the School of Journalism, it was the courses that taught me about journalism’s role in historical, international, political and social processes that I found most valuable. Through my certificate in Latino Media Studies, I learned about the press’s role in Hispanic and Latin American communities. These types of academic opportunities help give the contextual knowledge needed to effectively report a multifaceted topic.

The department must also expand its study abroad opportunities and internship partnerships across the country. Annual summer internships at local and national news organizations could be set aside for UT students. A journalism career fair organized in partnership with prominent news organizations would also be very beneficial to graduating students. The school currently supports three short study abroad programs in China, the Czech Republic and Austria. In order for students to report about the world and their communities, they must see the world. International experiences, alongside skills acquired in the classroom, will help create even more well-rounded journalists.

As I have discovered in my undergraduate career, the traditional lines of print, broadcast and Web are long gone. The path is now the convergence of all of these. This merging has created an industry that is exciting, quick, creative and challenging. This path does not lead to death, as many would like to believe, but opportunity. There are now unparalleled ways to tell stories in even more engaging and powerful mediums. Students at journalism schools are now at the center of this change and can even be creators of new storytelling techniques.

Although I will not be able to take advantage of the curriculum changes, I am proud to be part of a department that not only embraces change, but creates it as well. I am looking forward to seeing the results in future generations.

Macaya is a journalism and Latin American studies senior.

The University’s School of Journalism is making big changes to keep up.

“The digital media revolution is a runaway rocket ship,” said the school’s director, Glenn Frankel. “The best you can do is to see the trajectory. You can’t get in front of it.”

The school held a town hall meeting Wednesday to answer questions about the new curriculum it will roll out in this fall. The purpose of event was to inform journalism students so they can take advantage of the big change, Frankel said.

“Our student advisers say that students know the change is coming, but [the students] don’t know the specifics,” Frankel said. “We’re trying to be as transparent and information oriented as we can be. We are, after all, the School of Journalism.”

The curriculum will be a huge overhaul, said Theresa Thomas, an undergraduate academic adviser in the school. The changes in the classroom reflect changes in the professional field, she said.

“With all the layoffs [in journalism], employers don’t want to hire one person to do photo, another person to do video and another person to do the write-up,” Thomas said. “They want one person that can do all those things.”

To train students to be journalistic Swiss Army Knives, multimedia will be incorporated into every course beginning this fall, Thomas said. That emphasis on using various platforms of communication will also be built into the Belo Center for New Media, she said.

“The new building will have a multimedia newsroom,” she said. “It will replicate a professional newsroom as close as possible.”

The Belo Center will house the School of Journalism and will be completed this summer at the corner of Whitis Avenue and Dean Keeton Street, according to the College of Communication’s website.

Thomas said the focus on job-related skills might attract more students to the major. Current students have gladly welcomed the upcoming changes, Thomas said.

“Overall the reaction from students has been very positive,” she said. “They hear same things that we do about the changes in the field [of journalism]. They think they new curriculum is the way forward.”

Journalism sophomore Irma Garcia said she is eager for the new curriculum to go into effect.

“Sophomores have more choice between new and old courses,” she said. “I’ll benefit because I can jump into the new curriculum for my upper division courses.”

Celebrated journalist Bill Moyers makes an appearance in studio 6A of the CMB on Monday afternoon. The UT alumn and former White House Press Secretary spoke about issues in modern media, and engaged in a Q&A session at the end of his lecture.

Photo Credit: Jorge Corona | Daily Texan Staff

Bill Moyers was preparing to pursue a Ph.D. when he received a call from Lyndon Baines Johnson, who was running for president and sought Moyers’ assistance. Moyers deviated from his plans for a doctorate degree and took the job as White House press secretary.

Moyers, an Emmy Award-winning journalist, spoke about his careers as both broadcast journalist and White House press secretary at an event sponsored by the School of Journalism and the Department of Radio-Television-Film on Monday.

Some of Moyers’ work includes hosting PBS programs “NOW with Bill Moyers” and “Bill Moyers’ Journal.” He has won more than 30 Emmy awards throughout his career, including a Lifetime Emmy Award in 2006. Moyers graduated from UT’s School of Journalism in 1956.

“He’s being gracious and coming back to his old school and wanting to talk to students,” said School of Journalism Director Glenn Frankel.

Moyers said when he started out as an undergraduate at North Texas State College (now the University of North Texas), he wasn’t quite sure of what he wanted to do. He said he initially thought he would be an airforce pilot until he interned for U.S. Senator Lyndon Johnson, who instructed him to go to Austin for more opportunity. He transferred to UT shortly after.

“I couldn’t imagine all that’s happened — you don’t know what the next 40-50 years will bring,” Moyers said. “I was still debating my future in my head.”

Moyers said while attending the University he was torn between journalism, religion and teaching, but his instincts led him to journalism. As a student, he worked for The Daily Texan and held a simultaneous job at KTBC. The Texan, he said, taught him the value of telling the truth.

“We had a great editor. It was professional,” he said. “It taught me the importance of getting [reporting] right.”

Moyers said he never really wanted to work as White House press secretary but it did teach him about ethics.

“Almost every issue that crossed my desk, almost every story I ever dealt with, had some kind of ethics,” Moyers said. “I had been prepared for a future I hadn’t anticipated.”

Moyers, who left his position as press secretary to work in news publication and later worked for CBS and NBC, also discussed his career in broadcast journalism and the importance of criticizing our own institutions.

“Journalism is to me about gathering, weighing, organizing, judging and presenting information,” Moyers said. “A lot of journalism on television isn’t about that at all.”

In the midst of a changing media and a tough job market, Moyers said he still encourages students with that burning desire to pursue journalism.

“I’ve been fortunate to take what I have learned and share it with a large audience — to me, that’s an intoxicating pursuit. It puts you at the intersection of so much.”

Printed on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 as: UT crossroads for journalist