Penick-Allison Tennis Center

Senior Day and the last regular season match at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center will see seniors Elizabeth Begley and Juliana Gajic possibly play their last matches at home.

The Longhorns will face No. 14 Baylor (20-6, 8-0 Big 12) Friday. The Bears clinched the top seed in the conference tournament, and No. 20 Texas (11-10, 6-2) will look to take the third spot with a win.

“We’re always looking forward to playing Baylor,” head coach Patty Fendick-McCain said. “It’s always a great competitive match, and we’re focused on what we need to do.”

Begley resumes her No. 2 singles spot after moving to first with sophomore Breaunna Addison out against Oklahoma State. Both Begley and Gajic will also compete in doubles at their respective first and third spots.

“Hopefully this last match will be one of the most memorable ones they play,” Fendick-McCain said.

Texas and Baylor will begin play at 5 p.m.

The last three matches the Longhorns will play at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center will determine if the team can claim a third-straight conference championship.

This weekend, No. 22 Texas (10-9, 5-1 Big 12) hosts No. 18 Oklahoma and No. 23 Oklahoma State. If the Longhorns sweep the Sooners and Cowgirls they will need to either beat Baylor in the season finale or have Oklahoma State lose to secure a top spot.

Last year, the Longhorns pulled a double-sweep over the teams from Oklahoma, both in the regular season and in the Big 12 Tournament, which culminated in a title for Texas.

Three freshmen — Ratnika Batra, Neda Koprcina and Pippa Horn — will be key in the final three contests, and their 15-3 combined conference record leaves no doubts as to whether they are ready for the challenge.

The Longhorns face the Sooners on Friday at 6 p.m. and the Cowgirls on Sunday at 1 p.m.

No. 8 Texas defeated Tulsa 4-0 on Sunday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. The 1 p.m. match numbered the second home match of the final five that the center will host before it’s torn down for construction of the medical school.

Juniors Soren Hess-Olesen, Lloyd Glasspool and Adrien Berkowicz, and freshman George Goldhoff all downed members of the Golden Hurricanes in singles.

Berkowicz, who only let up a single point as he defeated No. 108 Alejandro Espejo, said the match was good competition to face before No. 1 Oklahoma comes to Austin next week.

“This weekend will probably be our toughest match of the season,” Berkowicz said. 

With strong wins from many players of the team, the team looks ahead for hopes of success next weekend. 

“We just have to make sure we do what we’ve done in practice,” said junior Jacoby Lewis, who joined David Holiner for a 7-3 doubles win. “This will be a big match against a great team, and we just need to carry out the momentum from this season.”

After returning from a long week in North Carolina and a close win last Thursday against Wake Forest, Texas will compete against Wichita State this Wednesday. The match will take place at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin at 6 p.m.

The Longhorns have been surprisingly successful this season, currently ranked at No. 7, the highest-ranked team in the ITA Texas Region. Their recent five-match winning streak was broken by UNC, but their last match against Wake Forest made up for the loss. They have won five matches against top-25 opponents this season and currently have a winning record of 14-3. 

This Wednesday will be the first of Texas’ final five matches at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. After their final match on April 5, the facility will be demolished to make room for the construction of the new medical center being built at Texas.

The Longhorns resume play Thursday as they host the University of Texas at Arlington and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. This will be the first time the Longhorns have played since back-to-back losses at USC and Pepperdine at the beginning of February in California. 

Texas started the season on a promising note, going 4-0. Since then, it has lost three straight matches. The Longhorns have won 17 consecutive home openers going into Thursday’s double-header.

Texas is ranked No. 15 on the ITA rankings. UTA (1-2) and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (1-4) aren’t in the ITA Top 25 national rankings.

The Longhorns’ No. 39 Soren Hess-Olesen is 8-5 overall with a 2-3 record in singles this year. He was named ITA Texas Region Player to Watch after last season.

No. 17 doubles tandem Chris Camillone/David Holiner and No. 50 Daniel Whitehead/Sudanwa Sitaram have only played a combined total of two matches throughout the dual match season. However, Holiner has been partnered with Whitehead lately. They’re 4-2 this season, while Camillone has been paired with freshman Nick Naumann

Men's Tennis

The Texas Longhorns kicked off the UT Invitational on Friday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. The tournament invites seven other teams to compete in both singles and doubles draws.

The Longhorns are coming off an impressive victory in Fort Worth where senior Daniel Whitehead claimed a singles final victory over Baylor’s Julian Lenz. Whitehead will not compete in the UT Invitational, but four other Texas players will.

Sophomore Soren Hess-Olesen, David Holiner and Sudanwa Sitaram will be competing in the singles draw while Holiner will also compete in the doubles draw with partner Chris Camillone. The tournament will host many nationally ranked players, including No. 3 Oklahoma singles player Leonard Stakhovsky and No. 1 Oklahoma doubles tandem Costin Paval and Dane Webb.

Play starts at 8:30 a.m. every day.

Men's Tennis

As North Carolina rushed the courts, the team’s chant of “Tar! Heels!” could be heard echoing throughout the Penick-Allison Tennis Center on Tuesday. UNC came into the match against Texas needing a signature win, and it got one.

Texas had come into the match ranked No. 3 in the nation, but was unable to top the intensity that the No. 30 Tar Heels brought with them to Austin.

“North Carolina fought harder than we did. They deserved to win,” said Texas head coach Michael Center.

Trailing two points to three, Longhorn senior Ed Corrie’s rally in the third set fell short, sealing the win for the Tar Heels. After taking the first set 7-5, Corrie conceded the next four games to trail in the second before making a small push to lose 2-6. Corrie got out to another slow start in the third and trailed 5-2 before starting a comeback.

With North Carolina only needing one point to take the match, Corrie held serve to prolong the match. He tightened it further after breaking North Carolina’s Jose Hernandez to pull within 5-4, with a chance to serve top set up the tie breaker and keep Texas alive. Corrie was able to hold off the first match point but was unable to keep Hernandez from breaking his serve on match point two to give the Tar Heels the clinching fourth point.

Texas jumped out to a two-point lead after senior Kellen Damico won in straight sets for the third-consecutive match. Damico continues to be productive filling in the No. 2 spot with junior Jean Andersen out. He was able to burn through his entire point in less than an hour. The other point came from doubles as Texas was able to take two out of three games to claim the first point of the match. Though the Longhorns’ doubles game remains strong, having claimed all but one point, Texas’ singles play has been a letdown on multiple occasions. With each match being close across the board, North Carolina was able to close out when it needed to, allowing only two points to go to a third set.

With the exception of Damico’s, all of the matches were drawn out as Texas continued to try to get back into every match. Leading 2-0, North Carolina was able to wrap up three points almost all at the same time with Texas sophomore Daniel Whitehead and red-shirt freshman David Holiner both falling in straight sets, followed by fellow sophomore Vasko Mladenov losing in a second-set tie-breaker. With the match already sealed for North Carolina, freshman Sudanwa Sitaram was unable to close out with a one-set lead and a second-set tie-break to lose in the third.

“That’s disappointing because this team of ours has a lot of great competitors,” Center said. “But, tonight, North Carolina just wanted it more.”

TexasÂ’ doubles tandem of Krista Damico, left, and Amanda Craddock, right, compete in the LonghornsÂ’ 7-0 win over Kansas on Sunday.

Photo Credit: Katherine Medlin | Daily Texan Staff

The roars from the crowd could be heard from both sides of the Penick-Allison Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon as both Texas’ men’s and women’s tennis teams battled it out for match wins against their opponents. While the fierce wind and chilly temperatures would seemingly have a negative effect on match play, the Longhorns did not allow Mother Nature to impose.

The Texas men’s squad (16-2) entered Sunday’s match against No. 24 Pepperdine with little rest. The team took on Michigan on Saturday night, and the Horns cruised to a match victory against the Wolverines as they won the doubles point and then went on to win five of six singles matches, pushing the final match count to 6-1.

Texas fought it out against Pepperdine in doubles play with two of three teams winning their matches, securing the doubles point. Seniors Josh Zavala and Dimitar Kutrovsky were the only pair to fall to opponents Bassam Beidas and Alex Llompart, who took the match by a single game, 9-8.

“The doubles was very close,” Texas head coach Michael Center said. “We had the chance to serve for all three matches. They hung around and stuck their nose in there and forced us to win one in a tiebreaker to get the doubles point.”

Texas was put to the test in singles play as three of its top players fell. Pepperdine’s Beidas dealt Kutrovsky a tough defeat 6-0, 6-1 while at second singles junior Ed Corrie could not hold on against the Waves’ Sebastian Fanselow, and finally at the third spot junior Kellen Damico was handed a swift defeat, 6-3, 6-0, by Llompart.

True to form, the Longhorns would not go down without a fight. Victories at the fourth, fifth and sixth singles courts, all in only two sets, gave Texas the boost it needed to overcome Pepperdine.

“We were able to win with our depth today,” Center said. “That’s a strength of our team, and I give those guys credit today for doing the job.”

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the tennis center, the women’s squad was making its mark against Kansas in the second of this season’s slated play against Big 12 opponents. Texas (6-3, 2-0 Big 12) has been steadily building upon its match successes as it now has a four-match winning streak under their belt.

The Horns opened the weekend with a decisive match victory, 7-0, against Kansas State on Friday afternoon. The Horns’ first sweep of the weekend began with victories in all three doubles matches, and four of the six singles matches, decided by only two sets.

Brimming with confidence, the Texas women defeated Kansas 7-0 yesterday afternoon. The unsavory weather conditions did nothing to stop the Horns from registering their second match shutout of the weekend. Both seniors Vanja Corovic and Sarah Lancaster showed no mercy to their Jayhawk opponents, with Corovic defeating Sara Lazarevic 6-1, 6-0, and Lancaster handing Alie Dzuba a 6-0, 6-0 defeat.

“It was a good, solid day today,” coach Patty Fendick-McCain said. “The conditions were really tough — it was cold and it was windy. We started off a little rough around the edges in doubles, but we got the doubles in the end, and I think that helped us get the momentum in singles.”