New York Jets

Free agency is always fun, especially the fantasy implications that come with it. If you don’t realize that it has fantasy implications, let me refresh your memory.

Last year, here is what we saw:

• Stephen Jackson signed with the Atlanta Falcons (fantasy bust)
  • Mike Wallace signed with the Miami Dolphins. (solid fantasy year)
  • Danny Amendola signed with the New England Patriots (fantasy bust)
  • Wes Welker signed with the Denver Broncos (fantasy stud)
  • Martellus Bennett signed with the Chicago Bears (fantasy sleeper)
  • Reggie Bush signed with the Detroit Lions (fantasy sleeper)
  • Rashard Mendenhall signed with the Arizona Cardinals (bust)
  • Percy Harvin signed with the Seattle Seahawks (injuries made him a total bust)

See what I mean? Clearly, free agency impacts our fantasy squads. That was last year, though. So let’s take a look at just some of the many moves thus far for 2014, as many teams wasted no time signing big names.

Knownshon Moreno

(Denver Broncos -> Miami Dolphins)

From Super Bowl contender to a locker room full of bullies, Moreno is joining the tandem of Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas in South Beach. This is not promising for Moreno’s fantasy value. With Peyton Manning, he finished fifth last year in total yards and topped it off with 13 touchdowns. Now, he goes to a Dolphins team with two other running backs that will get significant playing time, limiting his rush attempts. However, this could give Montee Ball a boost in Denver and make him a sleeper in 2014.

Maurice Jones-Drew

(Jacksonville Jaguars -> Oakland Raiders)

Jones-Drew will join Darren McFadden, an all-time fantasy bust, in the Raiders backfield. It looks nice on paper, but Jones-Drew is not the same running back he once was. In Oakland, he will likely enter the season as the starter and be solid. He won’t be the Jones-Drew we used to know, but he should improve over his past two years.

Emmanuel Sanders

(Pittsburgh Steelers -> Denver Broncos)

It doesn’t get much better than catching balls from Peyton Manning. Sanders’ fantasy value is definitely up, and I expect a big year out of him. He will replace Eric Decker, who left for the New York Jets.

Eric Decker

(Denver Broncos -> New York Jets)

Decker is now the number one option for the Jets, and he is going to have a solid fantasy year. However, his value is definitely down from last year. Simply put, Decker just left Peyton Manning for Geno Smith and Michael Vick.

Ben Tate

(Houston Texans -> Cleveland Browns)

Tate’s value has skyrocketed. I am a fan of what Tate did in Houston when he got his carries, averaging 4.7 yards per touch over his career. He will be the starting running back, and I am boldly predicting he’ll finish as a top-12 fantasy back.

Hakeem Nicks

(New York Giants -> Indianapolis Colts)

Nicks signed a one-year deal, meaning he will have to prove he can still be a stud wide receiver after a disappointing year last year. Nicks, who failed to score a touchdown last season, is going to be playing with Andrew Luck and I expect his fantasy value will increase as a result.

Steve Smith

(Carolina Panthers -> Baltimore Ravens)

It is going to be weird not seeing him in a Panthers uniform, but Smith should step into a starting role with the Ravens and do what he does. Count on Smith, and don’t be afraid to draft him.

Darren Sproles

(New Orleans Saints -> Philadelphia Eagles)

The combination of Chip Kelly and Darren Sproles is a fantasy football dream. I expect Sproles to explode this year. I suspect Chip Kelly to use him in a variety of ways and gain a ton of yards with some scores here and there.

LeGarrette Blount

(New England Patriots -> Pittsburgh Steelers)

This is the perfect type of running back for the Steelers. A guy that can ground and pound the football, Blount is going to be a factor on the Steelers. Blount will be a goal-line back at the least, and he will be among the league leaders in touchdowns.

Golden Tate

(Seattle Seahawks -> Detroit Lions)

This definitely helps Tate because the Lions aren’t afraid to throw the ball, and Calvin Johnson will take away a lot of the coverage. If Matthew Stafford looks to his left, Tate should be open. His stock is up.

James Jones

(Green Bay Packers -> Oakland Raiders)

Jones is in a similar situation to Decker, except worse. Not only does he not have Aaron Rodgers anymore, he is going to the Raiders who haven’t had a successful passing season in a long time. His stock is down.

Photo Credit: Cody Bubenik | Daily Texan Staff

Start:

Reggie Bush (Detroit Lions running back)

Bush seems healthy, had 139 yards and a touchdown last week and is playing against a sub-par Green Bay defense on Sunday. Everything is looking up for him this week.

Victor Cruz (New York Giants wide receiver)

I cannot place much confidence in a Giants offense that was held scoreless against the Panthers just two weeks ago. But the Eagles have an appallingly bad defense on all accounts. This game will be a shoot-out, and warrants playing any relevant starters on both teams, particularly studs like Cruz.

Roddy White (Atlanta Falcons wide receiver)

I am going out on a limb for White this week. He has been nursing an ankle injury for the first four weeks of the season, and has largely been used as only an on-field distraction during this span. But last week White was on the field for all but two snaps, and was targeted nine times. White will finally be himself again beginning this week against the Jets. 

Bilal Powell (New York Jets running back)

Wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill could both be out this week against the Falcons. That leaves Powell as the only offensive “weapon” that remains for the Jets. He isn’t great, but he will be heavily utilized, which makes him worth a start in deeper formats.

Sit:

Andrew Luck (Indianapolis Colts quarterback) 

An average quarterback playing against the best defense in the league. Pass.

Any Bills running back

Running back C.J. Spiller’s ankle injury makes him a game time decision this week. Running back Fred Jackson is wearing a brace over his knee, concealing a sprained MCL. The Bills are playing against the best run defense in the league, that of the Cleveland Browns. I don’t want any part of this offense this week, and neither should you.

Dwayne Bowe (Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver)

Bowe has been a huge disappointment this year, as quarterback Alex Smith refuses to look his way more than five or so times a game. This week, the Chiefs are playing a strong Titans defense that hasn’t surrendered a touchdown to a wide receiver in the last two weeks. Bowe might rebound later in the year, but it won’t happen this week.

Former Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III launched his NFL career with a win against the New Orleans Saints last Sunday.

There were big surprises in Week 1, both good and bad. For most fantasy players, that means Week 1 in the Fantasy Football world was pretty rough. How will these surprises affect week 2?

Here’s who to start:

1.) Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington Redskins

RG3’s NFL debut came at the Superdome against Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, making his performance even more impressive. He completed 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards while running for 42 yards more. Griffin III showed his poise, tallying two touchdowns in the game, one for 88 yards.

2.) C.J. Spiller, RB, Buffalo Bills

Spiller had 14 attempts running for 169 yards and one touchdown. He averaged 12.5 yards a carry while catching a few passes out of the backfield. That isn’t too bad since he ran against a decent New York Jets defense. With Fred Jackson out, Spiller should match his sterling performance when he faces the Kansas City Chiefs, who gave up 40 points in their first game.

3.) Stevan Ridley, RB, New England Patriots

Ridley had the best game of his career in the Patriots’ opener, running 21 times for 125 yards. This season, after gaining the starting job with the loss of Green-Ellis, Ridley’s explosive speed and willingness to absorb contact will rack up a lot of points for any fantasy team.

Here’s who to sit:

1.) Mark Sanchez, QB, New York Jets

Sanchez faced a weak Buffalo defense in the Jets’ opener, throwing for three touchdowns, but he still has Tim Tebow right behind him. After Tebow came in as a slot receiver on the second play of the game, Sanchez seemed bothered and is facing a Steelers defense in Week 2 that is coming off a Week 1 loss to the Broncos. His first performance was a bit misleading, and may set some fantasy players up for failure in future weeks.

2.) Kevin Smith, RB, Detroit Lions

While Smith had a good opener, he shouldn’t have the same luck this week. Smith had a total of 62 yards with 4.8 yards a carry. That was against a St. Louis run defense that was ranked 31st in the league at the end of last season. This week Smith and the Lions face a 49ers defense that is very strong against the running game.

3.) Brandon Weeden, QB, Cleveland Browns

Weeden got stuck under the American flag being brought onto the field during warm-ups. If he knew what was to come, he probably would have stayed there. He threw for only 118 yards with no touchdowns and four interceptions. With a tough schedule coming up for the Browns against the Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants, things won’t get any easier for Weeden.

Printed on Thursday, September 13th, 2012 as: Griffin III a smart start for fantasy

Baylor head coach Art Briles addresses media members at Big 12 Media Days in Dallas. Briles and the Bears are looking to improve on a 10-3 record from a year ago.

The Baylor Bears may have lost their top three offensive threats from a year ago to the NFL Draft, but head coach Art Briles doesn’t see that being an issue as his team prepares for the start of a new season.

“We’ve got some holes to fill. We understand that,” Briles said. “In general I think our brand is probably as good as it’s ever been on a national level. What we have to do now is maintain it, and that’s where my inspiration, passion and drive is going to come from.”

The Bears are coming out of their best season in more than 30 years after a 10-3 finish in 2011, which included the team’s first bowl victory since 1992. But the loss of Heisman-winning quarterback Robert Griffin III as well as leading wide receiver Kendall Wright and running back Terrance Ganaway have many wondering if the Bears can duplicate their success from a season ago.

“We have to fill in the gaps because Robert created a lot of gaps,” Briles said. “We have to fill that in with a variety of different methods, schematically and personnel-wise, that will give us an opportunity to stay at the level we finished at last year.”

One of the players who will attempt to fill the massive hole left by Griffin III and others is senior quarterback Nick Florence. Florence would have two remaining years of eligibility, but he was forced to relinquish his redshirt late last season after Griffin III suffered a concussion against Texas Tech. In that game, Florence threw for 151 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for another score, eventually leading the Bears to a 66-42 win over the Red Raiders.

It was then that Briles knew Florence would do anything to see the Bears win.

“That’s where his drive is — being a good football player that contributes to Baylor being successful,” Briles said. “I have a tremendous amount of confidence in the passion, energy and fearlessness he’s going to bring to the table.”

Briles isn’t the only one confident in Florence’s ability to lead the Bears. Senior center Ivory Wade feels the Bears are right where they left off at the end of last season.

“We’re going to be the same offense we were last year,” Wade said. “Very explosive and hopefully rack up a lot of yards.”

Those yards will have to come from somewhere, and that’s precisely where fifth-year senior wide receiver Terrance Williams comes in.

Williams played in all 13 games last season, including 11 at receiver on his way to 957 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns. His receiving totals were second on the team, trailing only Wright, who is now a Tennessee Titan. At 6-foot-2, Williams provides a big target for Florence and should emerge as this year’s most reliable downfield threat.

“He’s going to blow up this year,” Wade said.

The Bears also return Tevin Reese, Lanear Sampson and Levi Norwood at receiver in addition to recent Michigan transfer Darryl Stonum. The loss of Wright hurts, but there are several players who are capable of working as a unit in order to replicate Wright’s receiving totals from last year.

With all the attention paid to Griffin III and Wright a year ago, it’s easy to forget that the Bears also had a 1,500 yard rusher, Ganaway, who is now a member of the New York Jets.

Ganaway found the endzone 21 times on the ground in 2011, and his production will be greatly missed as well.

At the moment, senior Jarred Salubi is listed as the Bears’ No. 1 running back. He’s played in 38 career games, tied for the most on the team.

“Jarred is an outstanding back. He’s able to make guys miss in space and he’s big and strong enough to be powerful inside,” Briles said.

Someone will have to step up in order to replace Ganaway, and that someone could be Lache Seastrunk. A graduate of nearby Temple High School and former Oregon Duck, Seastrunk joined the Bears in 2011 but was forced to sit out the entire season per NCAA transfer regulations.

“Lache is a very dynamic player that has three years left and we’re anxious to see what he can do when there’s people in the stands hollering, because he’s got ability and that’s something that’s hard to hide,” Briles said. “We’re going to have him open up the jacket and let it show.”

It won’t be an easy task replacing the drafted players on the offensive side of the ball, but the pieces are there.

“Perceptions change and there’s still people who are going to write us off, and that’s the way it’s always going to be,” Florence said. “We want to earn some respect. We’ve won a bowl game and got to 10 wins, so now we want to win a Big 12 Championship.”