Campus Environmental Center

Photo Credit: Crystal Marie Garcia | Daily Texan Staff

Slide the City, a Utah-based water slide company, wants to transform the streets of Austin into a 1,000-foot vinyl slip and slide.

The company tours the country, making stops in more than 20 cities each year. Austin is on this year’s list of locations, but the company has not set a date, partly because of the water conservation concerns the City of Austin posed.

The summer tour is coming amid a stage-two drought, which is defined as when water in lakes Travis and Buchanan fall below a minimum supply level, according to Austin Water Utility. 

“Our reservoirs are a little over half full, and this is only exacerbated by the growing population,” said Lauren Hodges, geography sophomore and Green Events student leader for the Campus Environmental Center. “It’s a pretty contentious issue.”

According to Slide the City’s website, the slide is designed to have minimal environmental impact, and it treats and recycles the water efficiently. The slide circulates approximately 12,000–20,000 gallons of water per day.

Austin Water Utility has advised that this type of water use is currently prohibited because of the drought, and Slide the City will have to find alternative methods.

“Our city manager has enacted Drought Response Stage 2, which prohibits operation of fountains with an aerial emission of water or aerial fall of water greater than four inches,” Austin Water Utility spokesman Jason Hill said. “This is the case whether or not the intent is to recapture the water.”

Slide the City states on its website that it donates the water back to the community centers, parks, golf courses and other places when city officials allow. These techniques are not enough for efficient water conservation, said Jaclyn Kachelmeyer, international relations and global studies senior and director of the Campus Environmental Center.

“We will waste a lot of energy to pump the water and then clean and recycle it,” Kachelmeyer said. “It’s also impossible not to lose a lot of water from evaporation and it sticking to people, etc.”

Last fall, Austin declared a two-year moratorium on non-traditional events, such as Slide the City, in the downtown and South Austin area, specifically bordered by Oltorf Street and Barton Skyway, according to the Austin American-Statesman. The moratorium would disallow new events to shut down streets in those areas, 

Kachelmeyer said she thinks the slide would be an unnecessary waste of water.

“We don’t need to pump water and set up slides to have fun in Austin,” Kachelmeyer said. “We can take advantage of Austin’s wonderful local elements, like Lady Bird Lake, without being wasteful.”

Radio-television-film sophomore Katherine Brookshire said she thinks the water slide would be fun to see.

“I would want to go see it just to say I was there,” Brookshire said. “I don’t think I’d actually want to go do it. … It sounds kind of dangerous.”

Civil engineer freshman Rachel Piner (right) shop for clothes with her friends communication junior Millie Negron (middle) and corporate communication freshman Alexandra Gonzalez (left) at the Campus Environmental Center’s Trash to Treasure sale. Students could buy items ranging from clothes to kitchenware at a dollar an item or five dollars to fill a bag up.  

Nestled in a corner on the ground floor of the SSB is the home of the Campus Environmental Center, UT’s first major environmentally-focused student organization. What started in 2002 as a grassroots, student-run effort to supply recycling in departments, offices and classrooms has expanded into a sponsored student organization, unique in its opportunities for individual students to gain work experience while improving sustainability efforts at UT. The mission of the Campus Environmental Center is to empower The University of Texas at Austin community to reduce its negative environmental impacts and to foster a genuine culture of sustainability on campus through collaborative and constructive means. In working towards this mission, CEC not only serves as a voice for students on environmental issues — on and off campus — but also has the ear of supportive UT staff and administration through its situation under Facilities Services, as well as the resources to act.

At the Campus Environmental Center, we run projects that make a difference, embracing that think global, act local mindset. Currently, almost 20 students are employed by CEC to manage its various programs. From a garage-sale event called Trash to Treasure that diverts waste from the landfill to the Microfarm and Concho Community Garden that grow organic, local food for students and the community, from the 350,000 loblolly pines growing at the UT Tree Nursery to reforest Bastrop to the Green Events consulting program that helps organizations reduce their environmental impacts at events, CEC members spend the semester highlighting an issue whose importance and implications are often woefully overlooked on this campus and in our country.

It should be no secret by now that Central Texas (and really much of the western United States) is in a water crisis, resulting in severe droughts and massive aquifer depletion without adequate recharge rates. This is not just an environmental issue, but a social and economic one as well. The environment impacts everything. Our concerns as students and as citizens directly link back to the health of our surroundings, and what we do as a campus now will directly affect what we hope to do later. Thankfully, UT boasts an impressive irrigation system that has saved millions of gallons of water since its installation in 2011, the year of the Bastrop fire and one of the worst periods of drought — a drought not yet over — in Texas’ history. Such efforts by students and the University to reduce our environmental impacts are laudable and should be a source of Longhorn pride, and yet they receive very little attention and publicity.  

The student body and the University both need to continue collaborating to promote environmentally-friendly practices. We need to improve infrastructure and safety for biking and other alternative transportation options, to expand composting, electronics recycling and other waste-reduction facilities, and to support programs that successfully engage students in these efforts, such as the Green Fee. Next time you walk across campus, take note of the composting bins in the Union, the xeriscaping outside the Harry Ransom Center, the Orange Bike Project bike rentals. The direct result of a mere $5 fee taken out of each student’s semester tuition, these projects are proposed, funded and implemented by students for the betterment of the University. These projects have proven their benefits time and again, and CEC or other UT departments have adopted many of them to ensure their continued execution and success over the years. The Green Fee will be up for renewal during student body elections in the spring, and it is critical to improving sustainability at UT that students approve the fee once again.

The problem is that most students do not know about the Green Fee, the irrigation system, the waste-reduction efforts in the stadium, the great strides DHFS has taken in sustainability; nor do they know about the work still yet to be done, their rights to a healthier environment or programs and ordinances within the city of Austin. The Universal Recycling Ordinance, in effect since 2012, is a prime example of this. The ordinance mandates that apartment complexes and office building provide easy access to recycling facilities, yet many students, especially in West Campus, do not have any way to recycle in their apartments, a direct violation of the URO. With most of these violations going unreported due to a lack of awareness among the student body, the massive environmental footprint of West Campus will continue to cast shadows on progress made by the city and by UT so far. (Students can call 3-1-1 to report URO non-compliance issues.)

If there is one thing that CEC has demonstrated, it’s that when students care about their environment and are supported with the tools to put thoughts into action, tangible change occurs. CEC programs, Green Fee projects and research initiatives are daily proof. The power of students to be environmental stewards has yet to be fully harnessed, and we as a student body and a university must do more to increase environmental efficiency and education on and off campus, to encourage student engagement and to take pride in our accomplishments thus far.

Kachelmeyer is a Plan II, geography and international relations senior from Sugar Land. She is the director of the CEC. She served last year as the editor of the Cactus yearbook, which, like the Texan, is a property of Texas Student Media.

Fourteen new fruit trees were recently added to the UT orchard located at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 24th street. The orchard was founded in the spring of 2010 in order to raise environmental awareness.

Jenna VonHofe | Daily Texan Staff

Photo Credit: Jenna VonHofe | Daily Texan Staff

Students broke new ground in environmental awareness, as 14 new fruit trees were recently added to the UT Orchard.

The Orchard, located at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 24th streets, was founded in spring 2010 as part of an initiative to generate environmental awareness and encourage student involvement. 

Students from several environmental organizations around campus, including the Campus Environmental Center and the Division of Housing and Food Service’s Green Corps, helped plant and mulch the new trees. Fig, persimmon, lemon, kumquat and chokecherry trees were among the new varieties added to the Orchard. 

According to Jennifer Hrobar, supervisor of urban forestry for the University, the new trees were chosen because of their relatively low need for maintenance and ability to grow well in the Central Texas climate.

Hrobar said planting the new trees was part of an effort for the University to maintain its status as a Tree Campus USA member — a designation awarded by the Arbor Day Foundation to schools that follow certain guidelines in managing trees on campus — requiring the University to host a service-learning project for students.

Emily Mixon, Plan II senior and director of the Campus Environmental Center, said she thinks UT’s continued involvement with Tree Campus USA is important because it raises awareness about environmental issues on campus.

“I wish more people realized the guidelines that go into planting trees on campus,” Mixon said. “I think it’s a great way to get students plugged into noticing nature in our everyday lives and being conscientious about how they use campus as a whole.” 

According to Hrobar, the Orchard supervisors will grow the trees using a minimal amount of pesticides in an attempt to promote environmental sustainability.

“We don’t use many pesticides on the trees, and we use organic fertilizer,” Hrobar said. “We want anyone to be able to go out there, pick fruit and eat it, without worrying about ingesting any chemicals.”

Hunter Mangrum, environmental specialist at Division of Housing and Food Service, said he thinks allowing students to plant the trees encourages them to learn about sustainability on campus.  

“I think it’s a really cool way to reach students,” Mangrum said. “It’s a very hands-on type of approach to get students involved with planting and landscaping to promote sustainability.” 

Roughly 3,900 boxes were stacked together in the shape of Bevo for America Recycles Day to demonstrate the University’s commitment to recycling.

Campus Environmental Center members began building the fort early Friday morning with the help of 800 volunteers and finished within a few hours.

The box fort was designed to break Duke University’s record of 3,500 boxes, which was achieved over the summer.

Emily Mixon, Plan II and geography senior and  Campus Environmental Center director, said the organization has been collecting boxes since August from various local businesses and dining halls around campus.

“I grew up in Austin and have been around this culture, but we have students who might not have come from a background where they realize the impact that waste has on the environment,” Mixon said.

The Campus Environmental Center also promoted UT’s switch to single stream recycling, a new system where no sorting is required for papers, plastics, glass and other materials. Mixon said this new system would hopefully make it easier for students to recycle.

Karen Blaney, the Office of Sustainability program coordinator, partnered with Campus Environmental Center to build the fort and run the sustainability fair in the afternoon.

“There’s a lot of confusion about whether UT is really committed to recycling or not,” Blaney said. “The message for the day is that we do it and care about it.”

The fair allowed students to learn about recycling on campus and participate in the fort’s deconstruction at the end of the day.

Fliers and emails educating students on which materials to toss into which bins rarely catch the attention of college students, but a group is hoping a towering fort made of cardboard boxes will. 

America Recycles Day is Friday and instead of handing out promotional fliers on pieces of paper, the Campus Environmental Center and the UT Office of Sustainability are teaming up to promote recycling by building the largest box castle ever built by a university.

“We are by far the biggest university to go for this,” said Karen Blaney, program coordinator of operations within the Office of Sustainability. 

The first university to set the record for largest university box castle was Harvard University in 2011. Brigham Young University is the most recent university to claim the title, and UT hopes to beat BYU to raise awareness for its recycling endeavors. This is the first year UT is attempting to build a giant cardboard fort and beat the current record.

“It’s really hard to get information out around campus and so we figured if there’s a massive cardboard box fort outside of Gregory you can’t really miss it,” the center’s adviser Hobson.

The groups hope the cardboard box castle will draw attention to UT’s switch over the summer to single-stream recycling, which means that instead of choosing from five different bins for one material, students will usually be able to use just one. Fewer materials will need to be separated out when recycled. 

“Since we have facilities that can process single stream, we figured it’s easier,” Hobson said. “It would be such an educational campaign. It’s a nightmare at a campus this big to try to tell people to sort everything.”

The box castle competition will also raise awareness of UT’s general commitment to recycling. Aside from the activities on America Recycles Day, the center is working on a major project called Trash to Treasure. In this program, the center will collect unwanted belongings from students as they move out at the end of the school year and store them over the summer. When school begins again, the center will recycle those materials to create one huge garage sale.  

“I think the students all know what recycling is, and I think 10 years ago not everybody was coming from a place where they would recycle at home,” Blaney said. “We’re working on getting recycling more available to them, and more convenient, so you can just look at a material and know what to do with what
you’re holding.”

The center also has programs year-round that are meant to promote UT’s mission to recycle.

“We’ll have a fair that will highlight some of the other things, like we have some Styrofoam recycling and tailgate recycling,” Hobson said. “So we’ll start to give recognition to some of the smaller programs that we have on campus.”

Rhetoric and writing senior Victor Harris, director of the Orange Bike Project, inspects a student’s bike at the Bike to UT event Wednesday afternoon. Bike to UT was organized to promote cycling on campus and to commemorate Bike Month.

Photo Credit: Amy Zhang | Daily Texan Staff

Students and staff celebrated biking and sustainability with quick repairs and bicycle-generated smoothies at this year’s Bike to UT Day.

Parking and Transportation Services organized the event for Bike Month on Wednesday afternoon at Gregory Plaza in order to promote cycling on campus.

Various campus organizations including Orange Bike Project, The Campus Environmental Center and RecSports lined the plaza for the cause.

Blanca Juarez, the alternative transportation manager, said UT parking and transportation services puts on the event every year to celebrate cyclists’ choice of alternative transportation.

“In the past we’ve done a free breakfast and a raffle, and this year we tried to do a little bit more,” Juarez said. “We have t-shirts and tote bags which we think are really important, especially since the law just got passed here in the city replacing plastic bags with recyclable ones. So it gives students and staff members something extra that reminds them of Bike to UT Day.”

Juarez said the Green Fee Committee provided the money for the additional expenditures which allowed them to give away free t-shirts and food as well as what the additional organizations had to offer. She said the event has been going on for five years.

Mechanical engineering junior Javier Laredo said The Campus Environmental Center brought back the Earth Day smoothie maker for bikers interested in making their own smoothie.

“The idea is that you power your own smoothie so the power that you generate on the bike goes to a battery, this charges into the blender and that’s the energy you put into making a smoothie,” Laredo said. “And then you enjoy your smoothie at the end.”

Victor Harris, manager of Orange Bike Project, said he fixed more than 20 bikes throughout the day.

“We are a student organization that runs a community bike shop,” Harris said. It’s basically a workshop where you come and use our tools to work on your own bike. You can bring in parts to build a bike, and we also rent out bicycles on a semester long basis. If you need a bike for a semester you can come on in and put your stuff on the waitlist.”

Biology Senior Michael Nguyen said the bike shop has volunteer opportunities where people can come and learn about repairs.

“We do encourage everyone who has a bike to learn how to fix their own bikes, Nguyen said. “At least the basic repairs.”

UTeach institute site coordinator Mike Degraff said he brought his bike to the plaza, and Harris taught him how to properly shift to avoid breakdowns.

“There were some shifting issues on my bike, but it turns out I caused them,” Degraff said. “They did a great job of fixing it up.”

Will Wynn, former mayor of Austin, moderates a panel presented by the Campus Environmental Center to discuss issues of sustainability and environmental policy at the Texas Union Theatre on Wednesday evening.

Photo Credit: Debby Garcia | Daily Texan Staff

Hoping to advance environmental policy and sustainability awareness, experts discussed the relationship between climate change and economics at a panel Wednesday evening.

The Campus Environmental Center, the only UT-sponsored environmental student-run organization, hosted “Climate Change in Texas: Risks and Opportunities,” featuring former Austin Mayor Will Wynn.

As chairman on the Board of Directors of Austin Energy for nine years, Wynn said he has seen the momentum of climate change and global warming fluctuate. Wynn also highlighted the dichotomy between Texas as the worst carbon-emitting state and yet the state that offers the most renewable energy, attributable to wind power.

“There’s a revenue source for some land out in West Texas that wasn’t particularly profitable otherwise,” Wynn said. “That’s a good example, though. You can make an economic argument, set aside the environmental debate and show somebody how it’s beneficial economically. That’s really [what] the big opportunity and challenge is for in Texas — to figure out and sell the economic benefits of environmental protection and just know it in our heart that we're also helping the environment.”

Others on the panel included Ramon Alvarez, senior scientist at the Texas office of Environmental Defense Fund; Zach Baumer, climate program manager for the city of Austin; and Kerry Cook, professor at the department of geological sciences.

Cook said by 2050, Austin’s climate will increase by three degrees Fahrenheit and precipitation will decrease by 10 percent in the winter and 15 percent in the summer.

“We have a huge challenge in front of us to perform interdisciplinary research when we have different jargon, different ways of approaching and different ways of thinking about this,” Cook said. “We are trying to educate the next generation of scientists more broadly so they can all communicate effectively.”

Collin Poirot, political communication, Plan II honors and history senior and assistant director of the Campus Environmental Center, said the importance of this discussion is highlighted by the fact that people don’t know what to believe.

“Adapting to climate change means that you have to make some changes, it doesn’t mean you have to lose money or shut down your business,” Poirot said. “It just means you have to change the way you go about your business, and people don’t want to have to do that.”

Printed on Thursday, April 25, 2013 as Panel hopes to raise citizen involvement 

Director of the Campus Environmental Center Faith Shin has been promoting an upcoming Earth Day carnival that will showcase what different organizations are doing to increase campus sustainability on April 22. 

Photo Credit: Pearce Murphy | Daily Texan Staff

There are two types of people on college campuses. The first frantically runs around campus picking up trash and ranting about the upcoming environmental apocalypse, clad in pants made out of recycled grocery bags. The second drags themselves out of bed at 12:30 p.m. and skips the confusing recycling bins for the ease of a trash can whose contents are destined for a landfill. 

“College students are lazy, it’s as simple as that,” Katherine Crawford, a dance freshman and Campus Environmental Center member, said, “If they have a soda can to throw away but the recycling bin is a few steps farther than a normal trash can, they’ll take the easy way out.”

Crawford believes the polar opposite priorities of college students in regards to sustainability prevent progress. She thinks the only time work gets done is when it is forced on students.

Faith Shin, director of the Campus Environmental Center, said sustainable living on campus is absolutely feasible. She said that over the years UT has made environmental progress readily available, especially in dining halls and waste management. More than anything, she believes celebrating Earth Day is the best way to promote environmental awareness.

The University of Texas will have many events to participate in for those students who are interested in environmental progress. Shin and the Campus Environmental Center have been promoting Earth Day all April by kick starting an “Earth Month” campaign.

Shin’s efforts are most focused on an Earth Day Carnival on April 22 which will span the length of Speedway.

“We hope to showcase what different departments and organizations are doing to increase campus sustainability,” Shin said.

To do this, Shin has collaborated with more than 20 campus organizations. She hopes to show that a large portion of the student population is unified in its efforts to save the environment. Each student group involved has prepared various activities to educate students on how to reduce their carbon footprint and increase their sustainability.

Shin and the Campus Environmental Center are currently building a bicycle-powered blender. They will have carnival visitors ride the bicycle and power the machine in order to receive the smoothie they want.

“Maybe by putting them through this manual labor of sorts, they will understand how much energy it takes to fuel even small household appliances, like a blender,” Shin said.

Earth Day was created in 1970 by Gaylord Nelson, a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin. At the time, growing clouds of smog were not seen as an issue — it was a symbol of America’s growing prosperity. Senator Nelson decided that change was needed in our perception of environmental issues and used Earth Day to spur young people to make a new movement to save the planet.

Forty-three years later, Earth Day is celebrated in 192 countries and brings together the environmentally conscious in one day of festivities.

“Today we are constantly bombarded with the decline of our environment,” Reed Sternberg, Austin Earth Day festival director, said. “Austin Earth Day is an opportunity to stop and celebrate the good stuff about the Earth.”

Shin believes the various events in Austin for Earth Day have the ability to unite the community and push them toward environmental progress.

“Students aren’t apathetic to sustainability, and I doubt that any one wants to harm the planet,” Shin said, “They just have to make the conscious effort to live ‘green.’”

College students’ active resolve is perhaps in question, but Shin believes UT will take the opportunity to do its part this Earth Day. Perhaps Monday’s festivities will convince lazy college students to take the extra step toward the recycling bin.

John Thompson, an organic chemistry graduate student, chooses items to buy from the office supply sale in the Anna Hiss Gym.  The office supply swap is selling used products to students for discounted prices.

Photo Credit: Gabriella Belzer | Daily Texan Staff

Notebooks, printer cartridges and other office supplies were organized onto tables in the Anna Hiss Gymnasium on Tuesday for UT’s first Trash to Treasure Office Supply Swap.

The Campus Environmental Center, Office of Sustainability and Division of Housing and Food Service partnered together to host the supply swap for UT staff to bring in unwanted office supplies and trade them in for supplies they might need.

“I wanted to do something that I knew staff would hear about and hopefully re-spark the interest in recycling,” said Karen Blaney, sustainability operations assistant manager. 

The two-day event was held Monday and Tuesday when faculty stopped by to pick up whatever supplies they needed. 

“I’m just hoping this diverts a couple thousand pounds from the landfill and hopefully gets it to people who want it instead of people who are resentful of it sitting in the closet,” Blaney said.

Blaney said the UT Elementary School and an office supply reuse store were also invited to select whatever they wanted and the leftover supplies would be auctioned off to the general public.

Environmental science freshman Toni Red volunteered at the event with the Campus Environmental Center and she said she was glad to see people bringing in items to donate and recycle. 

“There [are] so many things that we don’t really use so it’s good to reuse them,” Red said. “If not, they would probably end up in landfills or stuck in a drawer.” 

Jennifer Hobson, sustainability program coordinator, said the supply swap was also economically beneficial to participants. 

“A lot of office supplies are very expensive and this way people can come get office supplies without spending the money, so I think that’s one of the benefits,” Hobson said.

Hobson said the event was such a success, the event organizers are looking into inviting students to participate in the event next year and to hopefully raise awareness of recycling options. 

“I think there’s enough stuff that was left over that if we can make it available to students, it would be beneficial for everybody at UT,” Hobson said.

Published on February 20, 2013 as "Environmental Center recycle office supplies". 

Illustration by Jorge Corona and John Massingill.

Each Saturday evening a neon glow and rising roar buzzes from the fraternity houses in West Campus. As the sun rises on another Sunday, the once pristine party site leaves in its wake a mountain of red Solo Cups and Keystone Light cans stacked on street corners and demolished lawns, and an eerie silence replaces the nighttime chaos.

Even on a low-key weekend at UT, an unimaginable amount of waste accumulates after fraternity parties. The Campus Environmental Center has decided to use fraternity frivolity to improve the ecological impact of the Austin community. 

The CEC has started a program called Green Greeks. This program aims to send its representatives to each fraternity party, where they will collect and recycle the cups, cans and bottles that tend to be aimlessly thrown around.

Faith Shin, director of the CEC, has been trying to get this program off the ground for quite some time. 

“CEC actually started this in 2008,” Shin said. “Unfortunately, the program was not as successful because of the lack of infrastructure within the Greek houses.”

The CEC is the largest organization on campus centered around the protection of the environment. They are a sponsored student organization that currently has four committees to address distinct ecological needs in the Austin area.

Elizabeth Harroun, an international business junior, is the first member of a Greek organization to recently become actively involved in the CEC and was the key to revamping Green Greeks. As the program attempts to renovate after its failure in 2008, Harroun has taken the role of coordinator.  

“There are over 5,000 students in the Greek system, and they have giant events throughout the year,” Harroun said. “If we can impact the Greek system, we can get a lot of people, who may not have thought about it before, interested in sustainable living.”

Greeks have not made leaps toward environmental interest in the past. This is one of the first instances of widespread backing of an ecological cause throughout the community. However, some are not so sure this lack of interest will ever change.

One such doubter is Bridget Boyle, a freshman in the College of Liberal Arts and new sorority member.

“I think Green Greeks is a good idea in theory, but most Greeks seem to be apathetic to environmental issues. I don’t see a huge influx of Greek involvement anytime soon,” Boyle said.

Harroun, however, believes this program can help fraternities and sororities gain a better reputation and help loosen the tension between the University and Greeks. 

“Maybe people will start to accept the party atmosphere if the fraternities are being conscious about waste and making an effort,” Harroun said.

Green Greeks held its first event Saturday at the Sigma Chi fraternity house. The group posted recycling reminder signs all around the house, spoke to party-goers about its cause and picked up errant cups off the floor. The next day the group returned to the house, separated all the trash and brought the recyclables to a recycling center for processing. 

Harroun mentioned that some fraternities have been more accommodating than others, but Sigma Chi was thrilled with the CEC’s first event and the excitement from the Greek community.

Green Greeks collected almost 130 gallons of trash at its first event, a party that was considered relatively small by Greek standards. The Greek community seems to be generally accepting of this new venture by the CEC.

“As far as I’m concerned, fraternities will continue to have parties so we might as well be proactive with all of the trash and recycle it,” Michelle Brucato, a sophomore active Greek member, said. 

The party cup of choice, the red Solo Cup, is made from polystyrene, labeled on products as a number-six plastic. Polystyrene is very difficult to recycle, especially in its expanded form, known as Styrofoam. Styrofoam is illegal in several counties in America. Products made from polystyrene often end up in landfills. Austin Waste Management, however, collects most plastics, glasses and aluminum products for recycling, including polystyrene goods. Green Greeks maintains that all the cups it collects are being recycled properly.

As clean as our campus appears during the week, waste piles up on the weekends as soon as the sun goes down. Cheap beer and curiously strong drinks will continue to be served to young men and women without fail, and the CEC hopes to put this waste to better use and to persuade the Greek houses to start thinking green. 

Published on February 20, 2013 as "Green Greeks encourage recycling".