Big 12 Conference

Over the weekend, the Longhorns were able to avenge last year’s loss to Kansas with a 42-27 victory at home. The Big 12 had four other important conference games in the weekend lineup. Here’s how they turned out:

Oklahoma drops TCU

Oklahoma has been extending its College Football Playoff hopes week after week. The Sooners’ matchup with TCU on Saturday proved to be one of their most important and hard-fought contests of the season. Coming into the game, Oklahoma and TCU both sat atop the Big 12 standings with one loss each, with hopes of becoming the lone Big 12 representative in the playoff picture.

The Sooners quickly grabbed control in this matchup thanks to the performance by Heisman front-runner Baker Mayfield. The Sooners’ first-half offensive explosion helped them take an early lead that they would not relinquish. Oklahoma didn’t even score in the second half, but a strong defensive performance made its 38 first-half points enough for a 38-20 victory over the Horned Frogs.

Mayfield continued to build his case for a Heisman trophy with another stellar performance, throwing for 333 yards and three touchdowns. The Oklahoma offense also benefited from a strong performance by running back Rodney Anderson, who ended the game with 151 rushing yards, 139 receiving yards and four total touchdowns.

Oklahoma State slides past Iowa State

Oklahoma State and Iowa State were both very much in the race for the Big 12 Championship game coming into their matchup last Saturday. Both teams entered the contest with two conference losses, knowing a third would end their championship hopes.

Iowa State has proved to be a surprise this season, but Oklahoma State did the Cyclones no favors. The game was unexpectedly a shootout. The Cyclones were able to match the firepower of the Cowboys’ offense.

Iowa State’s impressive offensive performance was not enough, however, as quarterback Mason Rudolph and the Cowboys put 49 up on a usually stout Iowa State defense. Oklahoma State came away with a 49-42 victory.

West Virginia sneaks out win

West Virginia and Kansas State have both been formidable opponents in the Big 12 this season.

West Virginia has had quite an up-and-down season this year, but this matchup against Kansas State was a defining one for the Mountaineers. West Virginia leaned heavily on star quarterback Will Grier, as well as standout wide receiver Ka’Ruan White. Grier threw for 372 yards and four touchdowns, leading the Mountaineers to a 28-23 victory.

Photo Credit: Carlos Garcia | Daily Texan Staff

The sequel is rarely as good as the original, but Wednesday’s match was exactly the case in the latest chapter of the Texas-Kansas rivalry.

The Big 12 powerhouses duked it out in a five-set thriller on Oct. 11 in Lawrence, Kansas. After falling behind 2-1, Texas exploded for a pair of set wins to complete the comeback and escape with a 3-2 victory.

The Longhorns repeated the same magic on Wednesday night at Gregory Gym, sweeping the Jayhawks, 3-0.

Texas could do no wrong in the early moments of the first set. The Longhorns fed off the energy of the home crowd, dominating the Jayhawks and claiming a commanding 19-13 lead. Then came the hard part. Kansas came alive with its back against the wall, igniting a 10-4 run to tie the score at 23.

But the Longhorns didn’t waver. Senior middle blocker Chiaka Ogbogu soared towards the net, locked in on a lob pass off the fingers of freshman setter Ashley Shook.

Ogbogu cocked her hand back and unleashed a powerful kill toward the left corner, dropping just outside the reach of the Kansas defenders and bringing Texas to set point. A Kansas error on the following play sealed the deal, giving the Longhorns a statement 25-23 win.

“I feel like we were in control for most of game one,” head coach Jerritt Elliott said. “We just made some errors and let them back in the game, but we found way.”

The sequel reached its climax in the second set as the two teams battled for higher ground. Kansas silenced the crowd by taking a 20-19 lead down the stretch, but Ogbogu delivered with yet another response.

The Coppell native posted six kills in the set, including a momentum-shifting bullet down the middle to give Texas a 22-20 lead. The Longhorns didn’t look back, finishing the rally for a 25-22 victory.

“We did a really good job this game of just looking each other in the eye and making sure we had each other’s back,” Ogbogu said. “Giving each other confidence helped others, and it helped me as well.”

The Jayhawks reached their breaking point in the third set, crumbling as the Longhorns erupted for an early 18-11 lead. With the crowd on its feet, Texas went for the kill, storming to a 25-16 win to complete the sweep.

Ogbogu led the team with a game-high 14 kills in the outing, and senior libero Cat McCoy tallied a team-high 17 digs as well. The victory clinches at least a share of the Big 12 title for Texas, an accomplishment that eluded them last season.

“Not winning it last year was obviously disappointing,” McCoy said. “This conference gets better every single year, so for us to at least win a share of (the championship) says a lot about this team.”

Next up for the Longhorns is a home match against Oklahoma on Nov. 22. First serve from Gregory Gym is set at 7 p.m.

Texas traveled to Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth on Saturday in hopes of earning its second-straight conference win. No. 8 TCU proved to be a tough matchup for the Longhorns, though, as the Horned Frogs defeated Texas 24-7. The rest of the Big 12 was also in action with four other conference games on Saturday. Here’s how they shaped up:

Texas Tech unable to snap losing streak
Texas Tech has been on quite a skid since it began conference play. While the Red Raiders were undefeated in non-conference play, they have only produced one win against a Big 12 opponent thus far in the season. Texas Tech looked to get back on track over the weekend as Kansas State traveled to Lubbock, but the Wildcats stunned the Red Raiders behind backup QB Skylar Thompson’s game-winning touchdown in overtime.

Texas Tech came out slow against the Wildcats, but the Red Raiders showed their usual brand of high flying, up-tempo offense behind QB Nic Shimonek’s 405 passing yards by the end of the first quarter. However, Kansas State showed their own version of a prolific offense, keeping up with the Red Raiders the entire way. The game would ultimately enter overtime after a late Kansas State two-point conversion. In overtime, Thompson sealed the Wildcats win, throwing an eight-yard touchdown. With the 42-35 defeat, Texas Tech now sits on a four-game losing streak.

Oklahoma wins stunner in Bedlam rivalry
All eyes were on Saturday’s game in Stillwater, Oklahoma, as two of the top Big 12 contenders went head-to-head in one of the biggest rivalries the conference has to offer. This year’s Bedlam matchup would prove to be one of the most memorable, setting offense records while racking up 114 total points and more than 1,400 yards.

Coming into the matchup, both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, each led by Heisman candidates at the QB position, held one loss. The game would prove to be an epic back-and-forth with baffling offense stat lines in the passing and running games. Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph each threw for five touchdowns, but in the end it would be Mayfield remaining at the top of the Heisman campaign. The senior ended his day with 598 yards passing on top of the five scores. After the 62-52 shootout victory, the Sooners now sit at No. 5 in the AP Poll.

Baylor earns first win
The Bears have seen their fair share of disappointment in 2017, starting the year with eight-consecutive losses to kick off head coach Matt Rhule’s tenure. Baylor has been able to keep a few of its conference games surprisingly close, but the team has never been able to hold on to a lead till the end.

That changed Sunday, as Baylor overwhelmed Big 12 bottom-feeder Kansas in a 38-9 victory. Baylor QB Charlie Brewer led the scoring barrage against the Jayhawks, throwing for 315 yards and three touchdowns. Bears wide receiver Denzel Mims would also show out in the victory, with 122 yards on just five receptions. While the win does not help the Bear’s conference championship hopes very much, it does provide a good boost of confidence to Rhule and the rest of his first-year coaching staff.