UT student arrested and charged with credit or debit card theft

Senior Gabrielle Frankel, who had an outstanding warrant for theft, was arrested outside Gregory Gym at 4:30 p.m. Thursday. 

UTPD officers escorted Frankel to Travis County Central Booking, where she was charged with credit card or debit card abuse. Frankel had a Class B warrant, implying probable cause but not necessarily determining guilt. 

Frankel’s bond was set at $25,000 and had not been paid at press time.

According to the Texas penal code, credit card or debit card abuse is a state felony. If the offense is committed against an elderly individual, it is increased to a felony of the third degree.

History sophomore Cole Wilson, who witnessed the arrest, said police officers questioned Frankel outside Gregory before taking her to central booking.

“They were questioning her about a water bottle and then put her in handcuffs,” Wilson said.

On Monday, UTPD officers responded to a report that a small purse had been stolen inside Gregory Gym. According to UTPD crime logs, the purse contained a credit card which was later used without the owner’s consent. It is unclear whether the incident Monday and the arrest Thursday were connected. 

This week, UTPD officers also issued three counts of “driving while intoxicated” to drivers on San Jacinto, Lake Austin Boulevard and MLK, and responded to an additional call about a theft in Prather Hall Dormitory.