Dale McNamara Invitational

Despite a late surge, the Longhorns fell just short of a win at the Dale McNamara Invitational tournament in Tulsa, Okla., ending tied for second place on Wednesday.

Texas started well and on Monday shot a combined score of 297 for 7-over par. That put Texas in fourth, five strokes behind first-place UNLV.

All three of the Longhorns’ top players finished the day in the top 25. Junior Nicole Vandermade shot a 74, sophomore Haley Stephens carded a 75 and sophomore Madison Pressel led the team with an even par score of 72.

On Tuesday, the Longhorns caught UNLV but still ended in fourth, 16 strokes behind Big 12 rival Oklahoma, who moved to the top of the leaderboard with an aggregate score of 7-over.

“[We] had three good scores, needed a fourth and didn’t get it today,” Texas coach Martha Richards said about Tuesday. “But it’s just golf; everyone has off days.”

The team came out on day three with a sense of urgency and played well, moving up the leaderboard to finish the tournament tied for second place with Oklahoma State behind Oklahoma.

The top four players in Texas’ lineup made solid contributions, especially sophomore Katelyn Sepmoree, who lit up the course with a final round of 2-under par.

“Katelyn had a great week; minus-two today was a great round of golf in the strong wind and her birdie on 18 was awesome,” Richards said.

Texas earned its best team finish of the year. The Longhorns play next at the Landfall Tradition Tournament in Wilmington, N.C., on Oct. 22.

Women's golf

After two weeks off, the Longhorns head up to Oklahoma this week to compete in the Dale McNamara Invitational hosted by Tulsa University, at the Patriot Golf Club in outer Tulsa.

The squad is looking to build on the lessons learned from their last tournament at Vanderbilt, where the team finished in 13th place, with a score of 14-over par.

Texas got strong contributions from their top four players last week, but according to head coach Martha Richards, they need more out of the fifth man spot.

This week the team will look for Arizona State transfer Larissa Eruera to step into that position in her season debut and give the team the lift it needs. In her freshman year at Arizona State, Larissa Eruera had a very respectable scoring average of 77.

The other players in this week’s lineup for the Longhorns are sophomores Haley Stephens, Madison Pressel, Katelyn Sepmoree and junior Nicole Vandermade. All of these players have made important contributions in this year’s tournaments and have consistently put in low rounds to aid the team.
Stephens had the low tournament total for the team in the year opening NCAA Fall Preview Tournament. Vandermade is the team leader in birdies with 17 through the first two tournaments. Pressel holds a team low-scoring average of 73.33 after her first three competitive rounds. Sepmoree is the teams closer of sorts, with a team low final round scoring average of 72.5.

Texas comes into the tournament ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek rankings, and will compete alongside of two other ranked Big 12 schools, Oklahoma State (18th) and Oklahoma (20th), along with the rest of the 16-team field.

Playing against these talented Big 12 rivals will give the team an excellent idea of where they stand in comparison to their elite competition and show the team how much better it needs to become so it can once again move on to the NCAA Championship Tournament in the spring.