E Street Band

Rock ‘n’ roll icon Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will play an intimate concert for South By Southwest, organizers announced in an online press release. To prevent online scalping, a persistent problem on Springsteen’s tours, tickets will be given away in a drawing open to any fans in possession of a platinum badge, music badge, artist wristband or SXSW music wristband. Those who purchase SXSW wristbands during the week of the event will not be eligible.

Springsteen and company are currently touring in support of their 17th studio album, Wrecking Ball, which is set to be released on March 6. In a special preview, The Guardian is streaming Wrecking Ball’s title track, a tribute to his native New Jersey’s recently demolished Giants Stadium, on its website.

Springsteen’s illustrious career has earned him and his legendary E Street Band a devoted fan base and spots in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Though his stridently political lyrics have drawn accusations of anti-Americanism from conservative critics, Springsteen’s music has enjoyed worldwide critical and commercial success since his debut LP, Greetings From Ashbury Park, N.J. His impressive collection of 17 platinum records includes classic albums like Born in the USA, Born to Run and The River.

In addition to performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon this Friday, The Boss, as he is known to his fans, will be giving a highly anticipated keynote speech at the Austin Convention Center on the day of the concert.

The concert, which will be all-ages and standing-room-only, is slated to take place on Thursday, March 15. SXSW organizers plan to announce the venue by March 14, and winners of the drawing will be contacted by 10 a.m. on the day of the show.

To learn the rules and details of the ticket drawing, fans should consult the official SXSW press release at sxsw.com/springsteenticketdrawing.

Printed on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 as: Springsteen to play intimate SXSW show, scalping prevented through ticket drawing

ASBURY PARK, N.J. — Nancey Ryder-Cunningham said it felt like the end of the soundtrack to her life.

Outside The Stone Pony, the Jersey Shore rock club that helped launch Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, she wept Sunday as she surveyed the flowers, candles and photos that had sprung up overnight in honor of saxophonist Clarence Clemons.

“It changed everything in my life,” said Ryder-Cunningham, 59, recalling the first of about 100 Springsteen concerts she estimated she had attended. “I was just a disillusioned kid on the street, and I feel like they rescued me.”

Hundreds of the band’s fans, including some who drove from hours away, gathered at the club, where Springsteen and his bandmates got their start in the early 1970s. Clemons died Saturday at age 69 of complications from a stroke.

Clemons was known as the Big Man — for both his 6-foot-5-inch, 270-pound frame and his imposing stage presence.

His raucous sax solos helped define the Jersey Shore sound of the 1970s and ‘80s.

Clemons’ last performance at Stone Pony was a solo show in the summer of 2006, house promoter Kyle Brendle said, but Springsteen and Clemons played routinely at the club in the 1970s, usually as unannounced acts.

The gathering Sunday afternoon juxtaposed bereavement and festivity. Fans milled around, drank beer and sang along to Springsteen tunes as they talked about what Clemons’ music meant to them.

“One of our first dates was a Bruce concert,” said Cyndi Matts of Little Silver, recalling the night more than a quarter-century ago when she and the man who later became her husband heard the band perform the song “Jungleland.”

‘’When he had that solo and everyone put their hands up — it still gives me chills.”