Penick-Allison Tennis Center

Senior Day and the last regular season match at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center will see seniors Elizabeth Begley and Juliana Gajic possibly play their last matches at home.

The Longhorns will face No. 14 Baylor (20-6, 8-0 Big 12) Friday. The Bears clinched the top seed in the conference tournament, and No. 20 Texas (11-10, 6-2) will look to take the third spot with a win.

“We’re always looking forward to playing Baylor,” head coach Patty Fendick-McCain said. “It’s always a great competitive match, and we’re focused on what we need to do.”

Begley resumes her No. 2 singles spot after moving to first with sophomore Breaunna Addison out against Oklahoma State. Both Begley and Gajic will also compete in doubles at their respective first and third spots.

“Hopefully this last match will be one of the most memorable ones they play,” Fendick-McCain said.

Texas and Baylor will begin play at 5 p.m.

The last three matches the Longhorns will play at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center will determine if the team can claim a third-straight conference championship.

This weekend, No. 22 Texas (10-9, 5-1 Big 12) hosts No. 18 Oklahoma and No. 23 Oklahoma State. If the Longhorns sweep the Sooners and Cowgirls they will need to either beat Baylor in the season finale or have Oklahoma State lose to secure a top spot.

Last year, the Longhorns pulled a double-sweep over the teams from Oklahoma, both in the regular season and in the Big 12 Tournament, which culminated in a title for Texas.

Three freshmen — Ratnika Batra, Neda Koprcina and Pippa Horn — will be key in the final three contests, and their 15-3 combined conference record leaves no doubts as to whether they are ready for the challenge.

The Longhorns face the Sooners on Friday at 6 p.m. and the Cowgirls on Sunday at 1 p.m.

No. 8 Texas defeated Tulsa 4-0 on Sunday at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. The 1 p.m. match numbered the second home match of the final five that the center will host before it’s torn down for construction of the medical school.

Juniors Soren Hess-Olesen, Lloyd Glasspool and Adrien Berkowicz, and freshman George Goldhoff all downed members of the Golden Hurricanes in singles.

Berkowicz, who only let up a single point as he defeated No. 108 Alejandro Espejo, said the match was good competition to face before No. 1 Oklahoma comes to Austin next week.

“This weekend will probably be our toughest match of the season,” Berkowicz said. 

With strong wins from many players of the team, the team looks ahead for hopes of success next weekend. 

“We just have to make sure we do what we’ve done in practice,” said junior Jacoby Lewis, who joined David Holiner for a 7-3 doubles win. “This will be a big match against a great team, and we just need to carry out the momentum from this season.”

After returning from a long week in North Carolina and a close win last Thursday against Wake Forest, Texas will compete against Wichita State this Wednesday. The match will take place at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin at 6 p.m.

The Longhorns have been surprisingly successful this season, currently ranked at No. 7, the highest-ranked team in the ITA Texas Region. Their recent five-match winning streak was broken by UNC, but their last match against Wake Forest made up for the loss. They have won five matches against top-25 opponents this season and currently have a winning record of 14-3. 

This Wednesday will be the first of Texas’ final five matches at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. After their final match on April 5, the facility will be demolished to make room for the construction of the new medical center being built at Texas.

The Longhorns resume play Thursday as they host the University of Texas at Arlington and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center. This will be the first time the Longhorns have played since back-to-back losses at USC and Pepperdine at the beginning of February in California. 

Texas started the season on a promising note, going 4-0. Since then, it has lost three straight matches. The Longhorns have won 17 consecutive home openers going into Thursday’s double-header.

Texas is ranked No. 15 on the ITA rankings. UTA (1-2) and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (1-4) aren’t in the ITA Top 25 national rankings.

The Longhorns’ No. 39 Soren Hess-Olesen is 8-5 overall with a 2-3 record in singles this year. He was named ITA Texas Region Player to Watch after last season.

No. 17 doubles tandem Chris Camillone/David Holiner and No. 50 Daniel Whitehead/Sudanwa Sitaram have only played a combined total of two matches throughout the dual match season. However, Holiner has been partnered with Whitehead lately. They’re 4-2 this season, while Camillone has been paired with freshman Nick Naumann