Fine Arts Library

After purchasing the entirety of radio station KUT’s physical library — 60,000 CDs and 4,000 LPs — the Fine Arts Library is now facing the challenge of organizing and accommodating the massive assortment of music.

The decision to acquire the CDs and LPs was made late last November after KUT, a public radio station in the Moody College of Communication, had finished digitizing its music holdings. The music was bid on by the Fine Arts Library to prevent it from being dispersed outside of the UT community, music librarian David Hunter said.

“We purchased the collection by matching an offer that was made by a local commercial company that was offering $3,000 for the whole collection, which is pretty minimal,” Hunter said. “When part of the University wants to divest itself of what belongs to it, there is a preference to keep it within rather than see the materials leave the University.”

The process of sorting through the music, which Hunter projected will begin next January, will require substantial effort by the library staff and additional hiring of graduate assistants.

“It’s taken us 30 years since the advent of the CD to add a total 50,000 CDs to the library, and now we’ve just received 60,000,” Hunter said. “Obviously, our staffing levels now don’t permit us to make much more than a small dent in processing them. It’s going to take about 80 hours a week for 3 years to process.”

Hunter estimates that 90 percent of the collection will be new to the library, 5 percent will be duplicate material and 5 percent will have never been catalogued anywhere.

Parker Fishel, an information studies graduate student, said the acquisition will assist in multiple areas of research around campus.

“The purchase will fill in gaps and provide [the] best copies,” Fishel said. “This is essential for research of all kind, whether discographical, historical or musical. I’m sure many records are promotional copies from labels and thus have additional significance for researchers interested in broadcasting.”

Mark Davidson, library graduate assistant and information studies graduate student, said he thinks the addition to the library will help advance UT’s reputation of having an impressive record of music.

“The collection is a real boom for the University,” Davidson said. “It’ll increase the collection a whole lot and put UT in the running as one of the best music archives in the country, which is really important.”

Copyright attorney Georgia Harper talks in the Fine Art Library Wednesday.
She discussed copyright law and its effects on academic work and fair use.

Photo Credit: Yaguang Zhu | Daily Texan Staff

The concept of fair use often allows students to include copyrighted material in their academic work despite laws that might otherwise prohibit its use.

Georgia Harper, scholarly communications advisor for UT Libraries, said students can use copyrighted material for a different audience than the original copyright holder intended which includes research material used in dissertations or theses. Despite legal allowances, she said scholars should not overuse work and should only use the amount of work necessary to make a point.

Harper held a lecture Tuesday about the process of obtaining permission to use copyrighted material in the Fine Arts Library titled “Fair Depends on Context.” Her lecture focused on fair use, a doctrine that permits the use of copyrighted material without gaining permission from the rights holders.

“Fair use is flexible and has an ability to adapt to a number of circumstances,” Harper said.

Harper said students still need to consider the risks when determining if a work is fair to use. Copyright holders can sue if material is not properly attributed or used inappropriately. She said if the copyright holder of a work does not reply to the person trying to obtain copyright permission, risk decreases from a practical perspective.

“Fair use is not black and white,” Harper said. “It is deeply intertwined with risk tolerance.”

Harper said works with an expired or inapplicable copyright, which includes all work published before 1923, fall under public domain and can be used freely. She said work published between 1923 and 1964 are in the public domain if the copyright has not been renewed.

Laura Schwartz, head librarian for the Fine Arts Library, said ARTstor, a digital library available to UT students, makes images available for students to use for dissertations as long as the dissertation will not be freely available on the web. She said ARTstor images may not be used for any commercial purpose that may be distributed by the press, regardless if it is commercial or non-profit.

“I think students are afraid to make copyright decisions while writing their dissertations, and listening to Georgia Harper speak allows them to feel more comfortable with their final product,” Schwartz said.

Krista Kateneva, musicology and ethnomusicology graduate student, asked specific questions about her dissertation during the lecture to clarify whether she can legally use certain material.

“I am in the middle of writing my dissertation and it is confusing to know what I can and cannot use,” Kateneva said. “It is helpful to have someone lay out the guidelines.”

Printed on Thursday, October 18, 2012 as: Fair use helps scholars, must be used cautiously

Street artist photographer Rana Ghanna talks to students about her art work Thursday night. Her lecture was followed by the film “Exit Through the Gift Shop,” a documentary about a British stencil artist named Banksy.

Photo Credit: Rebeca Rodriguez | Daily Texan Staff

About 11 years ago, local photographer Rana Ghana could not walk down Guadalupe St. without smelling spray paint in the air and hearing the sizzle of local street artists doing their work. Those days are gone.

Ghana spoke about the dynamics of street art and the city’s efforts to remove it in a lecture sponsored by the Fine Arts Library Thursday evening.

About 40 students and members of the community attended Ghana’s lecture, which also addressed the recent closing of the Baylor Street Art Wall at 11th and Baylor Streets. The wall was established in February and featured the work of Shepard Fairey, most widely known for the “HOPE” posters he designed for Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. Conflict arose when many local street artists saw the wall as a public art space and covered up some of Fairey’s art with their own.

“The city wants to take the art away from us but the more effort they put into taking it down the more the artists put to keep it on,” Ghana said. “The artist is just going to go to the next corner.”

Ghana has been photographing different street art in Austin for more than three years. Although often referred to as vandalism and property damage by city officials and some local residents, Ghana said street art can include anything from murals and graffiti to stencils and tags. Stenciling is a technique where people take a stencil and paint the image on a wall or other surface. Tagging is when people write their name on various surfaces.

“There’s this misconception that these artists are on the street and on drugs but they’re not all like that, “ Ghana said. “There are people in TCK [a group of graffiti artists] who are wealthy and some who are street kids.”

Karen Holt, fine arts outreach librarian, said she created the event in an attempt to showcase the resources offered at the Fine Arts Library. She said she was inspired to invite Ghana after reading an article on her views about protecting street art in The Austin Chronicle.

“After living in Berlin, a city most known as ‘the graffiti mecca of the urban art world,’ I became fascinated with street art,” Holt said. “It is considered to be vandalism and many street artists work under the cover of night and hide their identity for fear of being arrested.”

Advertising junior Emily Bordages attended the conference to learn more about street art for her advertising project on documenting creativity. Bordages said she never realized street art was so big in Austin.

“I think it’s pretty cool that art can come in such a casual form, and they have something to say but have a different way of saying it,” Bordages said.