Caswell Tennis Center

After cruising to a 4–1 victory against No. 22 Texas Tech on Saturday, No. 9 Texas will square off against two unranked opponents this week, taking on UTSA on Tuesday and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Wednesday. 

Both matches will be home matches for the Longhorns, as Tuesday’s match will be at the Caswell Tennis Center, and Wednesday’s will be at the Westwood Country Club. 

The week’s matches will be Texas’ first back-to-back since the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. The contracted schedule for the Longhorns is the result of a rainout against UTSA on March 2. 

The two matches will provide the Longhorns an opportunity to fine-tune certain aspects of their game, especially at the doubles positions. Texas has lost the doubles point in its previous two matches, with three losses from the doubles lines coming in tiebreakers.

Following this week’s matches, the Longhorns will have a week off before facing off against No. 2 Baylor on April 15 at the Caswell Tennis Center in Austin. 

It will be the Longhorns’ fifth match this year against a top-10 opponent, and it will be the penultimate match of the season for Texas before the Big 12 Men’s Tennis Championship on April 24.

Following a 10-day break from match play, No. 8 Texas men’s tennis will begin its outdoor season against unranked Michigan State on Thursday at the Caswell Tennis Center. Thursday’s match begins a three-match run against Big Ten opponents for the Longhorns. Texas will face off against No. 4 Illinois on Saturday and No. 10 Ohio State on Tuesday.  

Texas comes into Thursday’s contest riding a four-match win streak, with all four victories coming against teams currently ranked in the top 20 of the ITA rankings. 

Senior Søren Hess-Olesen has been a standout during the Longhorns’ winning streak, climbing to No. 2 in the nation in singles — 11 spots higher than his preseason ranking. Hess-Olesen is currently undefeated this season, holding a record of 12–0 and the No. 1 singles spot for the Longhorns. Texas seniors Lloyd Glasspool and Adrien Berkowicz are the only other Longhorns to join Hess-Olesen in the national rankings, at No. 52 and No. 60 spots, respectively.

With Michigan State reeling from losses in three of its last four matches, Texas will look to find another win in its first outdoor match of the year. If they can secure the win, the Longhorns will continue their momentum in their highly anticipated matches against Big Ten powerhouses Illinois and Ohio State.