Armory Collegiate Invitational

A pair of season-best efforts by seniors Hayden Baillio and Keiron Stewart highlighted a solid performance by the Longhorn track team in the Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York.

Baillio has been on fire throwing the shot put. The senior is now three-for-three with first-place finishes in the event this season and has been showing off his All-American pedigree. He posted a throw of 63 feet, seven and three-quarter inches, beating out all other competitors by more than eight inches.

Stewart clocked in at 7.73 in the 60-meter hurdles event for a second-place finish, but was outmatched by Clemson’s Spencer Adams, who blew away the competition with a time of 7.59 in the event.

Senior Jarad Bruner regressed from previous performances, but managed to finish sixth in the triple jump with a clearance of 48-0 and three-quarters. Emerson Sanders tied his season-best leap of 23-3 and one-quarter in the long jump, but finished tied for fourth.

Most of the Longhorns will compete again Friday and Saturday at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. Middle and long distance runners, meanwhile, will head to Seattle for the Husky Classic. The events will be the last chance for the athletes to tune up before the Big 12 Indoor Championships held Feb. 22-23 in Iowa.

The No. 11 Texas men’s track and field team is headed to New York to compete in the Armory Collegiate Invitational. The meet features tough competitors from top ranked schools including No. 1 Arkansas, No. 2 Florida and No. 3 Texas A&M, and will take place this Friday and Saturday.

The Longhorns hope to build upon their solid fifth-place finish at the Razorback Team Invitational this past week. 

Having earlier earned Big 12 Athlete of the Week honors and a first place finish at the Arkansas dual meet, senior Keiron Stewart is in particularly good form. He will compete in multiple events, including the 60-meter dash, 60-meter hurdles and 4x400-meter relay.

Senior Hayden Baillio, winner of the shot put in Arkansas, and junior Clint Harris, third in weight throw, will both participate in the shot put and the weight throw. Senior Jarard Bruner, who finished without points at the Arkansas meet, will be looking to improve in the triple jump after not jumping as well as expected.

A total of 14 athletes will represent the Longhorns at the event. Senior Joe Stilin, a Princeton transfer who broke a 6-year-old school record with a 3:58.66 mile last week, will not compete.