South By Southwest

Photo Credit: Stephanie Tacy | Daily Texan Staff

Bearded festivalgoers and Austinites in need of a quick trim found what they needed on the corner of Seventh and Trinity during South By Southwest. They congregated in what appeared to be a food truck, but was actually Rough Cut Trims: a fully functioning barbershop complete with three barber chairs and hairstylists from the Austin area.

Jared Vincent, a Round Rock resident, opened up the shop a week before SXSW despite having no prior experience with hairdressing. He was looking for a unique business idea and happened to find the mobile barbershop trailer for sale online. Over the course of two weeks, he got the licensing and permits necessary to open Rough Cut Trims for the SXSW crowds.

“It was an opportunity that I felt like I had to pursue,” Vincent said. “The stars aligned, and it’s been explosively positive over the last eight or nine days.”

The staff saw a wide variety of customers over the course of the week, including members of the hip-hop group Three 6 Mafia and Desus Nice from MTV2’s Guy Code. Hairstylists at Rough Cut Trims cut hair until 1 or 2 a.m. throughout the week.

While some passersby went to the truck for a simple trim, shampoo, shave or neck massage, others requested unique hair designs. One customer asked for a guitar shaved into his beard.

“Having it on the street is a different experience,” Vincent said. “When they’re sitting in the chair and they’re getting all groomed up, they’re able to see the South By crowds and hear the music. It’s their time to enjoy themselves and be pampered a little bit.”

Vincent said after just four days of business, the team was already thinking about opening up more locations in different cities in the future. He said he hopes to move the truck to an area by Fourth Street and Congress so it can continue operating even after SXSW.

“We want to have the best barbers in Austin,” Vincent said. “We’re not just a trailer truck that cuts hair. We want to be a professional, well-designed place.”

Ride-hailing companies Uber and Lyft operated out of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA) under temporary permits during this year’s South By Southwest, although ABIA had originally said only Lyft would be allowed to operate.

The two companies signed an agreement with ABIA on March 13, allowing them to pick up and drop off passengers there for 45 days.

While Lyft signed a yearlong agreement ABIA offered to the two companies on March 6, Uber did not. The agreement on March 13, just a week later, nullified Lyft’s yearlong arrangement. 

“The airport granted Uber a temporary permit, so we could have more time to negotiate a permanent solution,” Uber spokeswoman Debbee Hancock said.

The terms of the agreements required the companies to give the airport 10 percent of their gross revenue, a common standard for concessions operating at the airport, ABIA spokesman Jason Zielinski said.

“We’re a City department, but we’re one of the few that doesn’t receive tax dollars,” Zielinski said. “Every business that operates at the airport provides a portion of their gross earnings to the airport.”

According to Zielinski, after Uber did not sign the yearlong agreement by the March 6 deadline, the company’s drivers faced consequences for operating at the airport without a formal permit.

“Lyft began operating under that agreement and Uber was not,” Zielinski said. “So on March 9, their drivers began receiving warnings. On the 10th, they started receiving citations. Under City code, operating without a permit is up to a $500 fine — a class C misdemeanor.”

After Uber was banned from the airport, many people were unable to use the transportation options they had expected to use, Zielinski said.

“We experienced a large number of warnings and citations, and that was leaving passengers without a ride,” Zielinski said. 

Airports around the country are struggling with how to regulate ride-hailing companies such as Uber and Lyft, Zielinski said. While taxicabs have been part of airport transportation for years, ride-hailing companies are a different animal.

“Cabs work on $1 per trip fee,” Zielinski said. “Cabs have different regulations within the city. … Every airport is struggling with [ride-hailing companies] because they’re unlike other transportation operators.”

ABIA’s proposal would have also required ride-hailing companies to follow all the same rules as taxicabs. 

Zielinski said Uber’s financial records would not have been made public with this proposal.

“The information we receive is private — it’s something we look at and don’t publish,” Zielinski said. “If we were to look at anyone’s books, it wouldn’t be public information [because] we would not publish.”

Lyft spokeswoman Mary Caroline Pruitt said Lyft was happy to be the official ride-hailing partner of SXSW.

“Austin is a city that embraces creative, innovative industries, and we were excited to be the first ridesharing partner authorized at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport,” Pruitt said. “We’d like to thank the ABIA staff for their leadership and commitment to preserving Lyft’s affordable, welcoming rides for Austin visitors and residents.”

Photo Credit: Marshall Tidrick | Daily Texan Staff

From March 13 to March 21, Daily Texan photographers devoted their efforts and resources to covering South By Southwest. After a long and tiring week, we've compiled some of our favorite photos from the music, film and interactive aspects of the festival.

Bryce Quig-Hartman is one of the on-board engineers aboard the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus. The Educational Tour Bus is a non-profit mobile studio which provides students with the technology to produce songs and music videos, spending 10 months out of the year visiting schools across the country.
Photo Credit: Graeme Hamilton | Daily Texan Staff

South By Southwest provided a change of pace for the staff members aboard the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus. Though they spend 10 months out of the year visiting schools across the country, South By meant a three-day travel break for the staff, as they focused on giving tours of the bus at the SXSW Music Gear Expo. 

The Educational Tour Bus is a non-profit mobile studio which provides students with the technology to produce songs and music videos over the course of single, eight-hour sessions. 

Bryce Quig-Hartman, one of the bus’ on-board engineers, has been with the bus for three years. Hartman said he loves seeing kids get excited about making music. 

“I think the best part about this job is seeing kids eyes light up,” Hartman said. “A lot of times, it’s their first time in a studio, so they’re really amazed when they listen back to their track.”

The bus often brings together musicians who don’t know each other. Hartman said seeing kids from different states or different high schools come together to make music is one of his favorite things about working on the bus.

“I love watching students meet each other through music,” Hartman said. “It’s a powerful experience, seeing them communicate mostly through music. They get to know each other by playing, sensing the energy and bouncing ideas off of each other.”

Hartman, who works on the bus with a few other engineers, said the kids aren’t the only ones learning. Though he’s a classically trained pianist, his co-workers have started to teach him guitar. 

“That’s the great thing about the bus, it’s educational for us too,” Hartman said. “Literally everyone involved with the bus is constantly learning new things about running a session, about each other, about life. It’s a really inspirational creative environment.”

For the fourth year in a row, custom vinyl maker Wesley Wolfe attended the South By Southwest Trade Show. By using a vinyl recorder, Wolfe etches any song onto blank vinyl records.

Photo Credit: Daulton Venglar | Daily Texan Staff

In the middle of South By Southwest Trade Show’s business suits, out-of-this-world technology and bundles of free swag, custom vinyl maker Wesley Wolfe blasted a classic ‘60s soul record.

Wolfe is the owner of Tangible Formats, a business in North Carolina that cuts custom vinyl records for people in need of small quantities. Wolfe, one of more than 250 exhibitors at this year’s trade show, was returning to the festival for the fourth time.

“Cutting” vinyl records means etching grooves onto the vinyl that, when spun and touched by the needle of a record player, emit sound. In order to “cut,” Wolfe uses a machine called the Vinyl Recorder T560.

“Take any audio source and power it to the cutter head which mechanically creates the sound wave into a physical Groove,” Wolfe said. “It’s magic.”

The recorder, Wolfe said, allows people to take any song and turn it into a one-of-a-kind vinyl record. Aside from creating customers’ online orders and selling the machine — which costs four thousand dollars — Wolfe attends special events to simultaneously DJ and cut vinyl for attendees.

The idea for Tangible Formats, Wolfe said, came from the creator of the Vinyl Recorder T560, a German engineer named Souri Automaten.

In the 1970s, Automaten ran a business placing vinyl jukeboxes in bars but, eventually, CD jukeboxes came out. Automaten responded by learning to cut vinyl and outfitted his jukeboxes with music others lacked.

“People wondered how he had all of this unavailable stuff in his jukeboxes,” Wolfe said. “A DJ asked [Automaten] to build him a machine and he did well and other DJs were cutting vinyls. He realized ‘wow, there’s a business here.”

Wolfe, whose favorite record is Your Blues by Destroyer, said the point of cutting custom vinyl records is to physically keep the music around.

“In life, everything’s subjective,” Wolfe said. “There’s still a market for [vinyl] so this machine helps keep it all alive.”

Festival-goers at South By Southwest evidently know which headliners and other popular films to see this year, as lines to gain entry to the theaters stretched several blocks and even crossed streets with heavy traffic. The line for last night’s “The Final Girls” looked endless, and Al Pacino’s “Manglehorn” drew a crowd nearly an hour and a half before the film’s start. Los Angeles literary manager and Film Badgeholder Jeff Portnoy said that, while the lines are lengthy, they pale in comparison to those found at other festivals.

“Compared to other festivals like Sundance and Toronto, it’s not nearly as bad,” Portnoy said. “It’s about one hour [wait time before film starts] minimum to get into the films for the most part. Two hours if it’s a headliner or world premiere.”

The giant lines may frighten SXSW rookies, but they should know that many theaters can hold hundreds of guests. Some smaller theaters, such as the Alamo Ritz, are harder to get into, but most venues are easily accessible. Of course, that still means beaing willing to wait in lengthy lines. Portnoy said that he knows when standing in line’s a lost cause.

“It depends on the film,” Portnoy said. “I’ll do two hours for some films and an hour for others. Waiting for more than two hours isn’t worth it for me.”

Fortunately, I made it in to a few films today. Here are my thoughts.

Manglehorn

“Manglehorn” is such a slow slog of a film. Following Al Pacino’s character as he deals with his inner turmoil would be more interesting if his problems were clearer. Sure, he doesn’t like people, but he never gives much indication as to why he’s so anti-social. The narrative is hazy and unfocused, and the film tries to be artsy with its grating narration and odd, gimmicky editing.

Al Pacino isn’t horrible and certainly tries his best to make the character work, but it’s hard to get invested when the story feels all over the place. There are some good comedic moments, most of them involving Pacino’s relations with his cat and a tanning salon owner, but “Manglehorm” ultimately falls flat.

Rating: 4/10 Cats

My Name is Doris 

Editor's note: Our reporter had to leave early in order to secure a spot for another film. These are histhoughts from what he saw.

“My Name is Doris” proves that it’s impossible not to love Sally Field. Her character, an elderly, love-struck accountant who attempts to date a much younger co-worker, is so likeable and sympathetic. Her attempts to fit into the world of the millennial generation are hilarious. The film also brilliantly mocks the common stereotypes of the hipster culture.

“Doris” is a good comedy about a character who, while out of her element, is surprisingly adaptable to her new surroundings. It’s interesting that she can blend into the millennial scene and actually begin to fit in. With great humor and good performances, the film portrays a modern day “fish-out-of-water” story and gives it heart.

Rating 7/10 Dancing Sally Fields

—Alex Pelham

AWOLNATION performs at ACL Live at the Moody Theatre on Thursday night.
Photo Credit: Lauren Ussery | Daily Texan Staff

With only a few more days left, we're still live-blogging South By Southwest — the good, the bad and the very, very loud. Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and editors as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that SXSW has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Wednesday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Update (7:30 p.m.): Madisen and the Mama Bear, a mother-son duo group, took the stage at South By Southwest on Friday. Their show displayed an intimate and deeply personal vibe, and the dynamic between the mother and son was endearing and enchanting. To read our full review, click here.

Update (5:15 p.m.): The band Best Coast stopped by South By Southwest on its North American tour. The band played through some songs from its forthcoming album. To read our review of the concert, click here.

Update (1:50 p.m.): Melbourne, Australia-based band Twerps released their second full-length album, Range Anxiety, in January and will perform at the Panache party at the Hotel Vegas Patio Friday at 9 p.m. We talked with Julia MacFarlane, the band’s guitarist and vocalist, about the band’s influences, writing and SXSW hopes. Read the full interview here.

Update (12:10 p.m.): Click here to see our photo slideshow of Thursday.

Concertgoers enjoy a performance by Deniro Farrar at a hip-hop/rap showcase at Austin Music Hall on Thursday night. Lauren Ussery | Daily Texan staff

Update (11:20 a.m.): Good morning South By Southwest! There are only a few days left but still so many artists to see. Take a look at our schedule for today, and join us in seeing some of the best.

•  
  • SXSW Keynote Conversation: Snoop Dogg — As the first hip-hop artist to give the keynote address at SXSW, Snoop Dogg will discuss the music industry and his career.
  • Where: Austin Convention Center Ballroom A
  • When: 11:00 a.m.
  •  
  • Best Coast — Rock duo Bethany Cosentino and Bobb Bruno perform at the Austin Convention Center.
  • When: 3:00 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None
  •  
  • Courtney Barnett — The indie-rock singer-songwriter from Australia performs at the Austin Convention Center.
  • When: 5:00 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None
  •  
  • Leon Bridges — The native-Texan gospel and soul singer performs at St. David’s Historic Sanctuary.
  • When: 10:45 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None
  •  
  • Max Frost — The Austin-native singer-songwriter performs at The Driskill.
  • When: 1:00 a.m.
  • Age Restrictions: 21+

Update (10:30 a.m.): Right now, editor Kat Sampson is live-tweeting “SXSW Keynote Conversation: Snoog Dogg,” featuring the rapper and filmmaker/moderator Allen Hughes. Follow her at @katclarksamp for highlights from the discussion.

Live-tweeting for Snoop Dogg’s speech and interview begins at 11 a.m. The keynote address will touch on the artist’s YouTube series, his branding techniques and upcoming album.

Update (9:00 a.m.): Today’s weather is likely to be the worst SXSW will see. There is a 60–85 percent chance of rain and thunderstorms. A flash flood warning goes into affect at 4 p.m. and will run through Saturday afternoon. The last six days have blessed festival-goers with lovely weather despite questionable forecast. If that trend continues, clouds should clear by 3 p.m. Don’t get your hopes up. Check here for a more detailed look at the weather.

More than halfway through the week, we're still live-blogging South By Southwest — the good, the bad and the very, very loud. Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and editors as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that SXSW has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Wednesday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Update (11:50 p.m.): Day seven of South By Southwest is rapping up. Friday's forecast looks dim, with a flash flood warning going into effect in the afternoon. After so much music, film and talks, even the most enthusiastic festival-goer is probably looking for a respite. If you want to spend your rainy Friday away from the crowds and hustle of SXSW, check out our list of out-of-town getaways.

Update (8:00 p.m.): It's easy to get lost in the mayhem of South By Southwest. Even though the festival is more than halfway finished, there is always more than meets the eye. We compiled a list of Twitter accounts that can keep you informed on all the happenings around Austin and SXSW. To read the list, click here.

Update (4:35 p.m.): “Lamb” paints a haunting tale about two people who simply don’t know what their relatioship is or means.  The film rattles conceptions of childlike innocence and tells a divisive tale that is either oddly charming or donwright unsettling. Read the full review here.

Courtesy of Ross Patridge

Update (2:40 p.m.): Good afternoon everyone! May all your Thursday jam sessions be rockin'.

On our schedule for today:

• Jimmy Kimmel Live — Kimmel's been back at South By Southwest all week, and this is our chance to attend his taping. Today, the cast of The Walking Dead joins him.
  • Where: Long Center for the Performing Arts
  • When: 7:00 p.m. – 7:40 p.m.

• The Zombies — The classic psychedelic rock band from the 1960s performs at Stubb's.
  • When: 7:00 p.m. – 7:40 p.m.
  • Age restrictions: None.

• Max Frost – The Austin native, singer-songwriter performs at Stubb's.
  • When: 9:00 p.m. – 9:40 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None

• Ms Mr — The indie-pop duo, Lizzy Plapinger and Max Hershenow, performs at Stubb's.
  • When: 11:00 p.m. – 11:50 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None

Update (2:30 p.m.): South By Southwest can be hard to do if your underage. A large number of music venues are 21+ and make no exceptions. Below is a list of all ages and 18+ venues to take advantage of over the next three days.

This doesn't mean they will be any less crowded so expect hour long waits for general admission. Badge holders can pick up express passes for certain venues on the fourth flour of the convention center. A limited number of express passes are given out each day. 

• The Hideout Theater
  • Austin Music Hall
  • St. David's Bethell Hall
  • ACL Live at Moody Theater 
  • Stubb's BBQ
  • The Mohawk 
  • 18th Floor at Hilton Garden Inn
  • Esther's Follies
  • Auditorium Shores
  • PromiseLand Church
  • Central Presbyterian Church
  • IFC Fairgrounds
  • Red 7
  • The Velveeta Room 
  • Emo's

Update (1:40 p.m.): South By Southwest Film is a force to be reckoned with. It's more than a week of premieres, exclusive screenings, comedy, horror and everything in between. The Texan's veteran movie reviewer Alex Pelham has committed to gluing his eyes to the big screens across Austin, taking in as much as he can, so that you don't have to . Armed with our reviews, you can be a little more selective when you head to the theaters. Click here for a comprehensive list of his reviews.

Update (12:30 p.m.): The Zombies, the psychodelic Brit-rock band that helped lead the "Brittish Invasion," are performing at Stubbs tonight at 7 p.m. Check out our interview with lead singer Chris Blunstone to read about his thoughts on their career and their upcoming performance as South By Southwest. Click here for the Q&A.

Update (10:30 a.m.): Weather report

Get ready for another overcast day. Skies will be cloudy, and the temperature will linger in the high 60s and low 70s. The humidity will be high throughout the day, and there's a chance of rain in the afternoon. A flash flood watch is in effect from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Click here for a more detailed look at the weather.

Update (9:05 a.m.):  As you get ready for another day at South By Southwest, check out our slideshow for a recap of some of the highlights from Tuesday and Wednesday.

Marshal Tidrick | Daily Texan staff

A street performer plays the drums on Sixth Street on Tuesday evening.

Over the course of this week, we'll be live-blogging South By Southwest — the good, the bad and the outrageously hip and sweaty. Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and editors as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that SXSW has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Tuesday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Updated (11:33 p.m.): Our devoted movie critic, Alex Pelham, spent the day with his eyes glued to screens, taking in all that SXSW Film has to offer. Read his reviews and inform yourself, so that you can be a little more selective in your viewing choices. Click here to read his reviews of "Heaven Knows What," "He Never Died" and "The Invitation." If you're interested in cannibalism, dinner parties or heroin, we'll definitely have something for you. If you aren't — well, read it anyway.

Updated (7:52 p.m.):

Laura Marling, a folk singer-songwriter from England, performs at the Radio Day Stage at the Austin Convention Center on Wednesday. Lauren Ussery | Daily Texan Staff

Updated (7:43 p.m.): A trio of traveling gypsy musicians has made Austin their temporary home this week. With cigarettes dangling loosely from their lips, D.on Darox & The Melody Joy Bakers flooded the corner of 6th and Congress with a type of music they call “dirty gypsy blues.” Click here to read more about the trio's journey to Austin for this year's SXSW.

Updated (7:32 p.m.): 

A woman enjoys the festival atmosphere on Sixth Street Wednesday afternoon. Rachel Zein | Daily Texan Staff

Updated (5:24 p.m.): Folk rock singer-songwriter Laura Marling is Twiggy if Twiggy could play with the ferocity of Alanis Morisette. The British darling performed a seven-song set as a part of Santa Monica radio station KCRW’s Radio Day Stage on Wednesday. Her vocals were flawless, but her stage energy was lacking. For a full review of her performance, click here.

Updated (5:02 p.m.):

Guests at "YouTube at Coppertank," a party on Trinity Street, stand inside a frequently updated TV tunnel Wednesday afternoon. Marshall Tidrick | Daily Texan Staff

Updated (3:11 p.m.): South By Southwest: the the days are long; the lines are longer. Are you eating? More music means later nights, so make sure you're keeping your stomach happy and your body prepared. Here are six great, nearby options for refueling.

The German folk duo Milky Chance performs at the Austin Convention Centeron Wednesday. Lauren Ussery | Daily Texan Staff

Updated (1:40 p.m.): The music portion of South By Southwest is in full swing, so you'll want to make a thoughtful decision about where you'll spend your day. If you'd like to stick with one of the main venues, here are two of your best options — whether you're 21+ or still waiting for that critical birthday. Reminder: Venues will take general admission attendees, but badge and music wristband holders get priority access.

All ages – Stubb’s

NPR Music is hosting tonight’s line up at Stubb’s. The venue, located on the corner of Eighth Street and Red River, is an Austin favorite serving up the best music of the festival. Californian rapper Boogie starts the night off at 8 p.m. followed by Shamir, folk rocker Courtney Barnett, French hip hop artist Stromae and rock and roll band TV on the Radio.

21+ – Clive Bar

If you find yourself hanging around the Rainey Street area, check out Clive Bar. Music begins at 2 p.m. but the show really gets started at 9 p.m. with R&B hippie Elliphant. Punk rock band The Cribs come on at 10 p.m.,  alt-pop duo Ms Mr come on at 11 p.m., and the night ends with British rockers The Vaccines.

Kat Sampson

​Perfume, a Japanese pop band, performs at Highland Lounge on Tuesday evening. Lauren Ussery | The Daily Texan

Updated (1:17 p.m.): Good afternoon, festival-goers! We hope you all jammed out beautifully last night. We're gearing up for a music-heavy Wednesday, but you can also look forward to photos, movie reviews and snapshots of easy-to-overlook parts of the festival. Our official schedule for today:

•  
  • Laura Marling — The folk singer-songwriter from England performs at the Austin Convention Center.
  • When: 3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None
  •  
  • Milky Chance — The German folk duo Clemens Rehbein and Phillip Dausch perform at the Austin Convention Center.
  • When: 4:00 p.m. – 4:40 p.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None
  •  
  • NPR’s Showcase — Belgian hip-hop and electronic artist Stromae, also known as Paul van Haver, and indie-rocker Courtney Barnett perform at Stubb’s.
  • When: 7:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None
  •  
  • Future Islands — The synthpop band from Baltimore performs at Mowhawk.  
  • When: 1:00 a.m.
  • Age Restrictions: None

Updated (12:32 p.m.): Weather report 

If you’re scared of sunburn, good news: Today will be another warm, cloudy day. Temperatures are set to linger in the low 70s and high 60s through the rest of the day and into the evening. There may be some sporadic rainfall around 5:00 p.m., but it won’t be anything you need to take too seriously. To read a more in-depth forecast for Wednesday, click here.

Updated (12:16 p.m.): It's Wednesday, March 18, which means you've officially survived half of South By Southwest. Congratulations! You're officially a pro. But if you're starting to get a little weary, or you need a change of scenery, that's normal too. Get out of Austin, and check out one of these iconic Texas towns to take a break from SXSW. They're all less than two hours away and guaranteed to provide you a nice change of pace.

Over the course of this week, we'll be live-blogging South By Southwest — the good, the bad and the outrageously hip and sweaty. Follow Daily Texan reporters, photographers and editors as we post the highlights of our work here. For minute-to-minute coverage of the best and the worst that SXSW has to offer, follow us on Twitter at @thedailytexan. Want a recap of Monday at SXSW? Check out our coverage on yesterday's blog.

Update (11:00 p.m.): "Get Hard" features an all-star cast of Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart. Unfortunately, these great actors can't save this film from being a trainwreck. Although the film boasts such talent, the plot and humor drive it into the ground. To read the full review of  "Get Hard," click here.

Update (8:46 p.m.): In the middle of South By Southwest Trade Show’s business suits, out-of-this-world technology and bundles of free swag, custom vinyl maker Wesley Wolfe blasted a classic 60s soul record.

Wolfe is the owner of Tangible Formats, a business in North Carolina that cuts custom vinyl records for people in need of small quantities. Wolfe, one of more than 250 exhibitors at this year’s trade show, was returning to the festival for the fourth time. To read about Wolfe's process for creating custom vinyl records, click here.

Update (8:16 p.m.): If you are thinking of driving downtown, don’t. Parking is a horrendous pain. Don't believe us? Check out the Austin parking map featured on the Austin municipal government website. The map updates every hour and displays available street parking. Red lines signal 100 percent capacity; orange and green lines signal at least one place to park.

For the majority of the festival, the lines will remain red. Consider parking north of the Capitol in a public parking garage or on the street and taking Capital Metro Bus 1 or 3 to the corner of Fourth and Guadalupe streets. A single fare bus trip is $1.25.

If you have trouble understanding the Austin bus schedule, download the CapMetro app or the Transit app. Both give you the closest stops to your location and the most efficent routes to your destination.  Routes can also be calculated on the CapMetro website, http://www.capmetro.org/.

– Kat Sampson

Update (4:00 p.m.): Editor Kat Sampson is live-tweeting the South By Southwest panel "Breaking the News in the Age of Snapchat," featuring Dan Rather. Follow her @katclarksamp for updates. #digitalnews

Update (1:10 p.m.): As music kicks into gear at SXSW, be sure to check out our recommendations for the best free music events at SXSW here

Update (11:00 a.m.): To check out our slideshow of Monday at SXSW, click here.

Update (10:30 a.m.): Weather report:  Today is the first day of bad weather, with rain and lightning expected to start around 3 p.m. Don’t plan on cloud coverage burning off today. Temperature will hang around 75 degrees. Make sure to bring an umbrella and a waterproof bookbag to hold electronics. Check the full weather report here.

Update (10:00 a.m.): Good morning, Austin! It’s only Tuesday, and the number of celebrities we’ve seen is unreal.

On our schedule for today:

•  
  • “Wild Horses”
  • The world premiere of actor and director Robert Duvall’s “Wild Horses.” The film follows Texas Ranger Samantha Payne who reopens a 15-year-old missing person case, featuring Adriana Barraza, James Franco and Josh Hartnett.
  • Where: Paramount Theatre
  • When: 11:30 a.m. – 1:10 p.m.
  •  
  • Breaking the News in the Age of Snapchat
  • Newscaster Dan Rather, Dan Pfeiffer, a former top strategist to President Obama, and digital strategist Andrew Bleeker discuss how digital technologies have changed mainstream media and journalism.
  • Where: Austin Convention Center
  • When: 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  •  
  • Torres, Waxahatchee, Angel Olsen
  • The American folk and indie rock singer performs.
  • Where: Mohawk Outdoor
  • When: 1:00 a.m. – 1:40 a.m.

— Danielle Lopez